What to do the next year? need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brookliner7

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 27 and applying this year.
I am also thinking of applying again for 08 if I don't get accepted.
So, I was trying to decide which avenue would best increase the possibility of being accpeted in 08.

My problem lies here.
Since I am older, some of my course work was done a long time ago (jr college stuff)
I was working full time and a part time job during those classes, so my GPA was not stellar.(2.7) I recently went to finish my BS and only worked part time and carried a decent GPA with my major being a 3.75. My last semester was a 4.0 with physics, nuerophysio, etc.
Unfortunatley, my old coursework brings down my cumGPA to about a 3.1. Science is right around 3.0.

So, for the next year:
I was thinking of doing post bac work to help bring up my cumGPA and science as well.
I did the math and if I took 24 credits of all science courses and made 4.0 for the year, it would only raise my GPA .15.
Is that worth it? My cumGPA would be 3.25 and science 3.15. Still doesn't look so great. :(

OR!
I have a chance to start working at a Histology lab here in my town for the next year as a tech. They would train me and give me the chance to get certified. (I have been broke forever so the money sounds really tempting right now)

Which should I do?

I have worked four years full time at Voc Rehab with disbaled adults, two years part time as a Physical Therapy tech, 1 year as a psych tech, and 1 year as a clinical liaison for adults with mental illness.

I have volunteered for four summers at children's camps, a summer as a chemistry tutor at my univeristy, and at the student ministries for two years.

MCAT 27.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, I don't want to waste another year!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

brookliner7 said:
So, I was trying to decide which avenue would best increase the possibility of being accpeted in 08.

My problem lies here.
Since I am older, some of my course work was done a long time ago (jr college stuff)
I was working full time and a part time job during those classes, so my GPA was not stellar.(2.7) I recently went to finish my BS and only worked part time and carried a decent GPA with my major being a 3.75. My last semester was a 4.0 with physics, nuerophysio, etc.
Unfortunatley, my old coursework brings down my cumGPA to about a 3.1. Science is right around 3.0.

So, for the next year:
I was thinking of doing post bac work to help bring up my cumGPA and science as well.
I did the math and if I took 24 credits of all science courses and made 4.0 for the year, it would only raise my GPA .15.
Is that worth it? My cumGPA would be 3.25 and science 3.15. Still doesn't look so great. :(

OR!
I have a chance to start working at a Histology lab here in my town for the next year as a tech. They would train me and give me the chance to get certified. (I have been broke forever so the money sounds really tempting right now)

Which should I do?

I have worked four years full time at Voc Rehab with disbaled adults, two years part time as a Physical Therapy tech, 1 year as a psych tech, and 1 year as a clinical liaison for adults with mental illness.

I have volunteered for four summers at children's camps, a summer as a chemistry tutor at my univeristy, and at the student ministries for two years.

MCAT 27.

Thanks!

You're not going to have any better of a chance next year when you reapply if you don't improve your GPA.

I think that you should do some investigating. Call up some of the schools you are interested in and give them the run down and try to see where you would stand with them before doing anything else. It's not all about the numbers you know. You went back to get your BS and made an upward trend in GPA which is what some if not most schools will look at anyway. So just slow down, think, and talk with those who will decide what happens with your app. Good Luck to ya!!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not in medical school yet but heres my .02

I think your work experience will help you as well as age and maturity. I agree with OSUDOC in saying that GPA will hurt your chances. But my advice is to apply broadly and get good LORs and see what happens

I agree that you should take the classes. The 3.25 and 3.15 may not loook great, but it is definitely doable. Those are my numbers and I feel fairly confident this cycle.

Do you know about the AACOMAS retake policy and what is included in the science GPA? This info is in the pre-osteo FAQ.

Taking 24 credits and hoping to Ace them all is asking a lot. Anything is possible but i think you should just check your GPA one last time and be sure you are above 3.0. If you are then go work and make some money. Be sure to apply broadly.

If you find yourself just under 3.0 then you should retake anything less than a C as the fastest way to boost your GPA.

You have a nice upward trend. Be sure you go to the open house of your top choices, talk to those on the adcom, and get a DO letter. Your MCAT should be average to slightly above average at DO schools. I would not consider retaking the MCAT unless you have a score below 8 in one section. good luck.

brookliner7 said:

My problem lies here.

So, for the next year:

OR!

Which should I do?

MCAT 27.

Thanks!
Your GPA is a little low but your MCAT is pretty good so hopefully that will balance out. The upward trend in your GPA will show the admission committee that you have the potential but for one reason or another screwed up at the beginning of your college education. If you applied broadly and early you should get a couple of interviews. Getting an acceptance or not after the interview depends on how your interview went. Be prepared. If you don't get in this year I would suggest RETAKING the classes you didn't do so hot in your first few years of college. NOTE: DO schools will only factor your latest attempts' grades into your GPA. That would raise your GPA much faster than taking new classes. Since it doesn't take that many retake credits to dramatically raise your GPA you can just RE-take a couple of classes and work at the same time. :luck:

brookliner7 said:

I know that increasing your gpa is harder and harder as you accumulate more credits, but are you sure about the calculation of increasing you gpa by 0.15 for 24 credits of A's? i'm just asking because after my undergrad, i did a post bacc too and i had about 30 credits of 4.0s and that boosted my science gpa by about 0.6. my cumulative i think only raised about 0.2 but that science gpa was a big booster. experience is just as important as your grades. but you seem to have a lot of experience all ready...focus on the grades...upward trends are good! if you do need to work, you can still be a part time student and have your job. after my program i was taking two courses a semester at a local university and still working on the side which i think still helped. good luck!

HunterGatherer said:
Do you know about the AACOMAS retake policy and what is included in the science GPA? This info is in the pre-osteo FAQ.

Taking 24 credits and hoping to Ace them all is asking a lot. Anything is possible but i think you should just check your GPA one last time and be sure you are above 3.0. If you are then go work and make some money. Be sure to apply broadly.

If you find yourself just under 3.0 then you should retake anything less than a C as the fastest way to boost your GPA.

You have a nice upward trend. Be sure you go to the open house of your top choices, talk to those on the adcom, and get a DO letter. Your MCAT should be average to slightly above average at DO schools. I would not consider retaking the MCAT unless you have a score below 8 in one section. good luck.

awesome, thx! I actually had not read the AACOMAS section for retakes.
My GPA will go WAAYYYYYYY up through their method!

Let me just make sure I understand what it said.
So, say I took a class four years ago. I got a C.
When I fill out accomas I do not post the grade. I label it "repeat"
Then, I retake it this fall, post the grade, then label it as repeat final"

MCAT 10PS
9 BS
8VR

Thanks again so much! Had I not reviwed the retake policy I would have wasted my time taking other classes.
I am excited and want to shout from the top of something very high!

Also keep in mind that many schools look harder at the last 90 credit hours, so hopefully your lower grades were early in your undergraduate years.

brookliner7 said:
awesome, thx! I actually had not read the AACOMAS section for retakes.
My GPA will go WAAYYYYYYY up through their method!

Let me just make sure I understand what it said.
So, say I took a class four years ago. I got a C.
When I fill out accomas I do not post the grade. I label it "repeat"
Then, I retake it this fall, post the grade, then label it as repeat final"

MCAT 10PS
9 BS
8VR

Thanks again so much! Had I not reviwed the retake policy I would have wasted my time taking other classes.
I am excited and want to shout from the top of something very high!

Correct. Only the most recent grade (and hopefully the highest) will be factored into your gpa.

This is one of the major major differences between allopathic and osteopathic admissions. Allopathic schools will take the average. A + F = C. That really bit me in the ass.

I did the math, and if I retook three science courses that I got C's in (the only ones)
and also took three other science courses, my science GPA will will go from 2.97 to 3.60! Overall will be 3.44.
That's if I pull A's.
If I get a B and the rest A's, scienceGPA 3.53, two B's and the rest A;s, sciGPA 3.46.
I'm excited!

IT CAN BE DONE!!! :D

So, I'm hitting the books this next year. Yup, another year of being broke, but those numbers look soooooooooo good! Thankfully I'm used to making sacrifices as I'm sure many of you are as well.

thanks again, my next year is planned. :cool:

brookliner7 said:
I did the math, and if I retook three science courses that I got C's in (the only ones)
and also took three other science courses, my science GPA will will go from 2.97 to 3.60! Overall will be 3.44.
That's if I pull A's.
If I get a B and the rest A's, scienceGPA 3.53, two B's and the rest A;s, sciGPA 3.46.
I'm excited!

IT CAN BE DONE!!! :D

So, I'm hitting the books this next year. Yup, another year of being broke, but those numbers look soooooooooo good! Thankfully I'm used to making sacrifices as I'm sure many of you are as well.

thanks again, my next year is planned. :cool:

Sounds like a good plan, good luck with it :) One piece of advice, if anyone tells you too, DO NOT retake the MCAT, you have an awesome score that any DO school would like. Have fun and work hard!!!