What to do the summer before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated back in May and have been vacationing/working for a while. I want to do something before medical school that will advance my future career. What should I do? I have very little research experience but a ton of hospital experience.

Members don't see this ad.

The day you go into med school, I'm pretty sure your hospital experience will lose all its value in terms of advancing your career. Maybe you could do some research or start working on classwork. Personally I wouldn't try to get a jump start on my medical career in the summer before medical school. There will be better research opportunities in school and chances to prove myself in my academic performance.

Maybe even something that won't necessarily further your career, but something you will enjoy. I don't know your whole story, but unless you are interviewing now, then it doesn't matter "what you did with your time off." :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe even something that won't necessarily further your career, but something you will enjoy. I don't know your whole story, but unless you are interviewing now, then it doesn't matter "what you did with your time off." :p

As a matter of fact, I am interviewing now =)

Make sure your tear ducts are well hydrated. You'll be using them a lot once med school starts!!!! :eek:

RELAX and maybe make some money with a not too stressful job. Summer after M1 year is short, and then summers go away completely. It'll be your last true summer vacation for a while!

RELAX and maybe make some money with a not too stressful job. Summer after M1 year is short, and then summers go away completely. It'll be your last true summer vacation for a while!

I just got a job as a report writer for a research firm. The work doesn't seem too exciting but it sure as hell pays more than Barnes and Noble, which is to say that it still doesn't pay much. :(

I just got a job as a report writer for a research firm. The work doesn't seem too exciting but it sure as hell pays more than Barnes and Noble, which is to say that it still doesn't pay much. :(

do NOTHING! med school is hard and youll be stressed, so why go in stressed! take it easy as you are IN. the hard part is over. wait until you get there to become depressed and stressed out over the work!

im going to the beach everyday, after i get the acceptance though!:sleep:

I don't know about some of you, but I will be doing absolutely nothing the summer before medical school. Maybe pick up random baby-sitting jobs with my (very) extended family (I love my little nephews/nieces!! :D ), take a few trips back to my country to visit my family before I am sucked into the medical school world (the world of no money/no free time to travel). Just relax, unwind, and recharging my batteries before starting.

I don't know about some of you, but I will be doing absolutely nothing the summer before medical school. Maybe pick up random baby-sitting jobs with my (very) extended family (I love my little nephews/nieces!! :D ), take a few trips back to my country to visit my family before I am sucked into the medical school world (the world of no money/no free time to travel). Just relax, unwind, and recharging my batteries before starting.

:thumbup:

by the topic of the post, i thought you were asking for one last sweet vacation tips? i wish i could go to europe..

by the topic of the post, i thought you were asking for one last sweet vacation tips? i wish i could go to europe..

Watch out for looters. In Italy, a big group of kids, probably around 7-8 yrs old, bum rushed me and knocked me down. They tried to steal my wallet but i took off my shoe and threw it at one kids face. He started crying, I ran. I still have my left converse, looking for a RIGHT!

Watch out for looters. In Italy, a big group of kids, probably around 7-8 yrs old, bum rushed me and knocked me down. They tried to steal my wallet but i took off my shoe and threw it at one kids face. He started crying, I ran. I still have my left converse, looking for a RIGHT!

Party pooper :p

I want to go too!!

I plan on working until the end of June when my lease ends. Then I'll move my stuff back to my parents house and have no living costs for a few months and hopefully travel a little bit with my boyfriend (maybe to Singapore where his family is if I can afford it)

Party pooper :p

I want to go too!!

Hey! Great idea i just had. All us SDNER's should go during the summer before matriculation. At least those of us that wish to relax before we get swamped with med school!:thumbup:

I plan on working until the end of June when my lease ends. Then I'll move my stuff back to my parents house and have no living costs for a few months and hopefully travel a little bit with my boyfriend (maybe to Singapore where his family is if I can afford it)

Hey angel i see that you have a number of interviews. Which school so far that you have interviewed at do you think is the best?

Hey! Great idea i just had. All us SDNER's should go during the summer before matriculation. At least those of us that wish to relax before we get swamped with med school!:thumbup:

Count me in. I will be the official English-Spanish translator.

Now we need someone who speaks French, some German, and Italian if possible. ;)

many schools offer optional coures in a&p or biochem the summer before...so check it out..

I graduated back in May and have been vacationing/working for a while. I want to do something before medical school that will advance my future career. What should I do? I have very little research experience but a ton of hospital experience.

Depands....believe it or not some med schools start in May! Look at Florida State University COM.

i'm a firm believer in the positively influencial effects of travel. If not vacationing, i'd recommend (i'm planning on) a few weeks abroad as an international vounteer. Usually theres a small fee for room/board, but includes meals, & sometimes language lessons. You pay for plane ticket too. Just a random idea...

~ clsr2nrvna