This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, gang!

I am currently a freshman and have applied for a few opportunities for this summer and I am (preemptively, since I don't know if I will be accepted to ANY of them) wondering which to go for.

Track 1: Pre-Med Internship (Health Career Opportunity Program) for 4 weeks AND SHPEP (Summer Health Professions Opportunity Program)
  • I would be able to do both (granted acceptance in both) as they correlate perfectly with my schedule).
  • The SHPEP is at the med school of my dreams - think it could give me a leg up during applications?
Track 2: Neuroscience Research (Paid) for 10 weeks ALSO at the med school of my dreams.
  • It is the only summer undergrad research program that accepts accepts freshman.
  • I wouldn't be able to do an HCOP or SHPEP since the research would take up my entire summer.
Of course, whichever I don't choose, I would reapply for next summer (I'm more willing to reapply to the research next summer since most SURPs are open to sophomores, only this program is open for freshman - but... it's at the school of my dreams).

Thoughts? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely go with track 2. Paid position plus you get research experience on top of that. The fact that you have the opportunity to do research so early and potentially the next 3 years is always a plus on your medical school application.

Reactions: 4 users
Summer programs don’t give a leg up on admissions. Conversely, being rejected from them has no bearing on admissions either; I was rejected from all of those med school summer research programs.

Do track 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only did 1 summer program for 3 weeks during my 4 years of undergrad. No one batted an eye. I spent the time with family. I’d go for the paid position.

Reactions: 1 user