What to do to get into OB/GYN residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indianarn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be MS1 this year in an Osteopathic medical. I understand that the question I am going to ask is way ahead of time, but I guess its better to know ahead of time then not. I am an RN now and loved the OB/GYN rotation during the nursing school. That's what I would be interested in as a physician too. My questions is what do I need to focus on from the first day in school to until I get my goal. Thanks in advance for helping.

Members don't see this ad.

I am the same rank in the academic ladder as you are, but I have looked at the 2012 match report (http://data.aacom.org/media/DO_GME_match_2012.pdf) and realized that the mean COMLEX-level 1 score for those who matched OB/GYN was 467 while the national average was for all of those who matched AOA residencies that year was 488.

OB/GYN is not that competitive and it's definitely not like ortho or neurosurgery where you need to be super engaged and making connections and doing research from day one. Joining your school's OB/GYN interest group and shadowing are good things to look into. Just remember as you begin first year your top priorities should be adapting to med school and passing your classes. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also consider joining the surgery interest group as ob/gyn has a substantial surgical component. Learn to suture, tie knots, scrub in, etc and you will shine on your core ob/gyn rotation. Also try to schedule that rotation towards the middle of third year, after IM and general surgery, and maybe peds. Realize that you may change your mind and shadowing with different ob/gyn docs will help you understand the specialty better.

Reactions: 1 user