What to do until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, things arent looking so bright for me this time around seeing as I have been waitlisted at NYCOM and havent heard ANYTHING at all from the other 5 schools I applied to. I anticipated this since I scored pretty low on my MCAT. Anyhow, I am taking the MCAT again in April just in case I dont get off of the waitlist. My question is what is everyone in the same boat, or anyone who can give some insight for that matter, doing from now until next year? I am considering the post-bacc program route but im wondering if it is too soon to be doing this. I would appreciate any suggestions:) Congratulations to all those who got into school this year!

Fred

Members don't see this ad.

I am intersted in more NYCOM infor . Are you a state resident ? When did you interview ? What were your MCAT scores ?

i'm kinda in the same boat-- my wife and i are having triplets so i'm defering acceptance a year. If nycom is where you really want to go (assuming you don't get in) call them and ask what you could do to look better. I'm taking a few extra anatomy classes and am working in another clinic for the experience. If you want, now may be the time to take a class you've always wanted-- buisness/pottery/emt-- something fun. as much as i hate to drop the bomb on you- retaking the mcat is probably a super idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im kind of embarrased about my MCAT scores but whatever:

4V 6PS R WS 9BS

Serious test anxiety guys. I just graduated with a BS in biology with a 3.314/4.000 GPA with alot of extracurricular activities, awards, and a good amount of health experience. I was interviewed on Dec. 8th and did not receive a decision until Feb. 11th. There was a lot of confusion concerning my application because I am still taking Orgo2 at a community college, which is different from my undergrad institution. No, I am not a NY resident. I am actually a VA resident. If you can give me any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for replying.

Fred

I would say you still have a chance to get in this year. The fact that NYCOM selects many state residents and you were given an interview tells alot. I am happy to see that they are a school that evaluates the total applicant. Many schools claim to, but that is just window dressing. as a result, many qualified applicants must deal with a rougher road to admittance.

did you take kaplan?? i'm with you on the test taking anxiety thing- kaplan allows you to take 6 practice tests-- by the time i took the actually mcat i was so sick of taking them that it really helped my stamina and ability to utilitze time effectively. Plus, you really get used to the test format and it is much less stressfull/intimidating. I know it is expensive but it may really help in the long run.

No, I did not take Kaplan but if things don't work out this year I will definitely. Well, I think my numbers are very competitive except for my less than stellar MCAT's. I have an interview which means I have a chance to get in. That's the only way i can think right now.

Congrats on the babies. It sounds like this is a great time in your life.

hey there
maybe try taking Organic at your university. I'm not sure how well the community college classes go over with them. Just an idea. Good luck.

I took Kaplan over the summer. The practice exams definitely helped my testing endurance. I am actually taking it again but I am not attending the classes. The books that they give you are definitely helpful and I found that the classes were kind of a waste of time, in my case. I was working full-time while I was preparing for the August MCAT and found that I was not being efficient with my time. The teacher basically read out of the book, which I think all of us can do by ourselves. What it comes down to, for me, is just finding enough time to take all the topical tests and practice exams as possible instead of spending time in the classroom since the information is already familiar to me. So far, I am doing well in my preparation and should definitely be ready come April. Good luck to you guys!

Fred

Fred:
wouldn't it be nice if you got called off of the waiting list and could stop studying ? in a way, but if you are like me you feel like you still have something to prove, if not to admissions then to yourself

Fozzy,

Ahhhh, take a breath! It's not the end of the world...I promise. You're talking to one that HAS been there. Last year about this time, I was stuck on the alternate list at my school of choice due to very low MCAT's. I had no clue where to go, or what do to when I never heard anything else. So, come June, I knew I had to do something...and working in the field wasn't going to shine a better light on my application or chances of admittance.

The main thing to do, is show dedication. Secondly, be certain this is the ONLY thing you want. Then, when you take a graduate program...especially related to your field, like Public Health or something, then this is supposed to show that you can do graduate level work...which is what a low MCAT says you can't do.

I'm all too familar with test anxiety...and the MCAT only makes it worse. You think, you're entire future depends on this one exam...I know the pain and agony.

Don't loose hope :wink: ...keep your head up!

I think you said you are taking your MCAT in April.

You should really focus and take a Princeton Review course, then take the MCAT

If you think you screwed your last MCAT up and this one might not be much better then take it in AUG.

Two bad MCAT scores could really kill you

Good Luck
AK

Fozz and to all whom this applies,
I was in your same boat last year, put on the waitlist and retaking the MCAT. I studied hard and took the test three times. I never came off the waitlist, but applied early the next year. I did better on my MCAT in August and applied to many schools. I was invited for 6 interviews, but I was accepted at OSU-COM ( my first choice) so I canceled the others. Just keep your head up and continue to make you application stronger. Do research, volunteer, and keep on taking the MCAT. Sooner or later you will do well enough to get in. It is all about how bad you want it and if you want it bad enough you will suceed. Good luck. :cool: