What to do when taking a year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Bevo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that didn't manage to get into med school this year. He decided to take a year off before applying again. He is asking me for advice on what to do in that year.

What is the best thing to improve an application? Research position or something clinical?

Members don't see this ad.

ms_tommy said:
I have a friend that didn't manage to get into med school this year. He decided to take a year off before applying again. He is asking me for advice on what to do in that year.

What is the best thing to improve an application? Research position or something clinical?
Here is my suggestion. When taking a year off, make sure you don't waste it on partying and gradually getting dumber. He'll still want that heat for when he reapplies. I suggest either getting a lab job or a volunteering position in a hospital setting. But honestly, those things are becoming boring. He should do some travelling, do something he likes and finds interesting. Another however, if he interested in playing basketball, he shouldn't just play basketball, but maybe starting up a small team or coaching. Something that gets him interacting with people, and "finding" himself. It sounds cheesy, but it's true. As well, if he saves some money, he should consider travelling and working or volunteering, lobbying for NGO like the UN or Amnesty International. My concluding advice would probably to do something really accents his skills and abilities, stimulates himself mentally and physically, and creates a lasting impression.

I agree with the above post. Your friend should do something this year that will really make him stand out as a unique applicant. He should definitely volunteer somewhere and if he's even a little interested in research it would be awesome for him to get involved in something he could be published on. Med schools LOVE this sort of thing and when he gets in, he'll be asked about it throughout his career. Things like going on a medical missions trip overseas, volunteering at a shelter, coaching a team, etc. are all great ideas. If the above options aren't available to your friend, he should find clinical medical work somewhere. They will pay close attention to what he did this past year to better his application, but the simple fact that he's re-applying is greatly increasing his chance of getting in. All my friends that didn't get in their first year got in their second.
Good luck to you!
Des:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the exact same boat as your friend. I'll be honest, research is not my forte, I do believe that is very important but it does not suit my personality. I decided on a more clinical route, I went to respiratory therapy school. There are some places that offer a one year program, but they can be very expensive. RT school can be a little boring when someone has big ambitions of going to Med school, but I learned alot about airway and ventilation. The downfall is cost and time. Usually one year programs are expensive and time consuming due to the constant pressure of putting in the required classes and clinical hours. Usually ends up about 30-40 hours/week. Good luck to your friend.

ms_tommy said:

How about something else? An on-line MBA? MPH? Find schools that will accept him?