What to Do When you DON'T Pass Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybuggy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am probably one of many that actually did NOT do well on the USMLE. I was completely devastated to see that I borderline failed the exam! It does not mean I am a bad student in any way, mind you. I just cannot do well on exams, and there were a lot of family problems coming up just 2 weeks before the exam. Fortunately, this exam is not required because I am in DO school (I just hope the Comlex turns out to having better results). So, after what is said and done, and me trying to jump off my 2 foot tall balcony last night, I am planning to retake the exam.

After going over my mistakes in the study process, apart from family issues, I used the USMLE First Aid book and one of the Test Question banks online. This obviously did not work at all. So, I have quite a bit of time to be able to study and retake this test. I am in the middle of 3rd year rotations and have been doing very well.

So, for those who passed (and are not afraid to admit that they needed help other than their "perfect brains"), what would you do in order to improve your performance? Did those Kaplan courses REALLY pay off? Is there another source that helped you? Which Question Bank did you use that reflected the test the most? Please help a poor devastated med student with your words of encouragement and wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly believe you should NOT retake the usmle Step 1, if you're DO. Even if you pass it on the 2nd try, residencies will still see you failed the 2nd time. Personally, I'd stay focused on rotations right now and take USMLE Step 2 at the end of 3rd year after studying your ass off.

I'm sure others (hopefully even some that have been in your situation before) can chime in on this situation. I just can't see the value in retaking USMLE Step 1 as a DO.

Wait, hold up. Can I take the USMLE Step 2 even though I borderline fail the Step 1? Is that possible?
I was told that as a DO, we don't even have to report the USMLE at all, but it can be bad if we do fail it a 2nd time. I personally am interested in IM-Cardio, which is very much accepted as a DO when you take the Comlex. So, I know it is not the end of the world. But, still sucks.
Anyone has any insight on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you opt to retake the exam here are the books I used:

Phsy- BRS
Path- Rapid review
Micro- Micro made ridiculously simple
Pharm- FA for the drug list and filled in mechanisms that werent there with another source
Behav Sci- BRS

Other than that I pretty much used FA.

I used USMLE world and Elsevier USMLE Consult for my question banks. I thought UWorld was better than Elsevier as a learning tool. Elsevier was closer to the real deal (which means had a bunch of gimmee questions that I thought werent as good for learning purposes)

You should know that if you decide to apply to ACGME programs, you MUST report your failing USMLE score per ERAS instructions. So by not retaking the USMLEs, you may be limiting yourself to AOA residencies. Just an FYI.