What to do when you feel good but apparently not good enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadAsian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just feel like that after a month after submitting my secondaries, if the schools didn't like me through the first pass, or I'm in a "hold" pile, or whatever... what's going to change over the next nine months? What can I be doing to improve myself in the eyes of the schools I've applied to? I feel like if I'm not getting published or enrolled in courseworks, what good will an update do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know it's SDN and I shouldn't be discouraged when I see other people getting II's now. I know it's "early". This isn't a pity post either, I know this is a terrible and discouraging process and you've got to put everything you've got into it. And I know I have. I feel like I've reinvented myself well as a reapplicant, I've got decent metrics and extracurriculars, I don't think I write the worst essays ever or anything, etc.

I just feel like that after a month after submitting my secondaries, if the schools didn't like me through the first pass, or I'm in a "hold" pile, or whatever... what's going to change over the next nine months? What can I be doing to improve myself in the eyes of the schools I've applied to? I feel like if I'm not getting published or enrolled in courseworks, what good will an update do?

I'm working as a scribe full-time and getting some clinical volunteering hours because I'm passionate about working with the underserved. Currently got ~1800 hrs clinical exposure, ~725 hours leadership in student gov't/club exec, ~250 hours research w/ publication, 200 hours non-clincal volunteering, 160 hours of shadowing and counting. I have other things I've done but I'm trying to think of what I can get involved with this year that will help. My only tentative idea is getting a LOR from my scribe supervisor and sending them in as an update.

In all seriousness, you should start thinking about a possible career change. Being a doctor isn't for everyone and not everyone who deserve to be in medical school get in. If you're hell bent on being in the medical field, instead of keeping your life in limbo years on end reapplying and treading water, start exploring other jobs in medical field (PT/OT, radiology tech, OR scrub tech, Anesthesia Assistant, etc). All these years you're re-applying etc are lost potential income and retirement investments you'll never be able to make back as a physician (7 year training minimum).

In all seriousness, you should start thinking about a possible career change. Being a doctor isn't for everyone and not everyone who deserve to be in medical school get in. If you're hell bent on being in the medical field, instead of keeping your life in limbo years on end reapplying and treading water, start exploring other jobs in medical field (PT/OT, radiology tech, OR scrub tech, Anesthesia Assistant, etc). All these years you're re-applying etc are lost potential income and retirement investments you'll never be able to make back as a physician (7 year training minimum).
I don't really consider being in a state of "keeping my life in limbo years on end reapplying and treading water". More so that I want to maximize my chances during this cycle instead of waiting until it's too late.

I'm feeling discouraged because I feel like I have truly put a large effort into my application and it doesn't seem like any schools are immediately wow'ed by it. Or even wow'ed over a longer time frame lol.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All you can do is just wait and hope you get interview invites. If you do get interviews, you prepare well and hope you did well enough to get acceptances. The application process is a waiting game so you should be patient, hope things work out well and continue to do your activities. Also, avoid school-specific discussions unless you want to worsen your stress and anxiety.

Reactions: 1 user
All you can do is just wait and hope you get interview invites. If you do get interviews, you prepare well and hope you did well enough to get acceptances. The application process is a waiting game so you should be patient, hope things work out well and continue to do your activities. Also, avoid school-specific discussions unless you want to worsen your stress and anxiety.
I was afraid someone would say that :shy: but thank you, I appreciate your input!

Even if I'm <25 years old and this is my first time reapplying MD/first time applying DO?

I don't really consider being in a state of "keeping my life in limbo years on end reapplying and treading water". More so that I want to maximize my chances during this cycle instead of waiting until it's too late.

You already have plenty of clinical exposure, leadership, volunteering and, I'm assuming, you already have good LORs. Unless your GPA/MCAT sucks there's really nothing else you can do to substantially improve your application. If this is your first time applying then continue doing what you're doing. And if you're still unsuccessful at the end you may contact the med schools and ask for feedback. However, it never hurts to think of a backup options.

I know it's SDN and I shouldn't be discouraged when I see other people getting II's now. I know it's "early". This isn't a pity post either, I know this is a terrible and discouraging process and you've got to put everything you've got into it. And I know I have. I feel like I've reinvented myself well as a reapplicant, I've got decent metrics and extracurriculars, I don't think I write the worst essays ever or anything, etc.

I'm working as a scribe full-time and getting some clinical volunteering hours because I'm passionate about working with the underserved. Currently have ~1800 hrs clinical exposure, ~725 hours leadership in student gov't/club exec, ~250 hours research w/ publication, 200 hours non-clincal volunteering, 160 hours of shadowing and counting. I have other things I've done but I'm trying to think of what I can get involved with this year that will help. My only tentative idea is getting a LOR from my scribe supervisor and sending them in as an update.

Edit: forgot to add: yes, I'm applying MD and DO, yes I am preparing to not get in and have a back-up plan.

I see you on many of the school threads (seems like we have a very similar school list!).

Hang in there! You definitely seem to have all the boxes checked plus some improvements from your first cycle. Just trust your application and hope for the best. Remember, not every school hands out most of their interviews on the "first pass." There are so many schools that are super selective about interviews early in the cycle (URM, High stat, etc) but then open up in September/October/November/December for us "normal folk."

Reactions: 1 users
You’ve been complete for a month? The schools might not have even reached your application yet. You might not be sitting in a hold pile or a reject pile. Just keep doing the best you can. I think LizzyM says if you don’t have an interview by Thanksgiving you can start to worry. Thanksgiving is a long ways off. So be hopeful and know you’ve submitted the best application possible. There’s nothing more you can do at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Vent and Rant Warning : mature adults only

WTF!!!! Schools get 5,000-10,000 or more applications and at the most can process 500 a week. And its nots even Labor Day. Most adcoms are not even running at full capacity. No matter when you put your secondaries is, it will be evaluated and reviewed based on the eval score/summart/priority. Getting applications in by Sept 1 merely mean you are somewhere in the pile that will be reviewed prior to Thanksgiving.

So sit down, shut up, and quit whining

This concludes another is s series of exceedingly-exasperated, often-obnoxious, frequently-foulmouth, posts from ... well, my avatar says it all

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress

I don't really understand the purpose of these vent posts when it's better to ignore these threads altogether. Why respond to a thread that bothers you?

Reactions: 3 users
The OP stated that its been a month

the OP stated its been a month and that must mean his/her application has been rejected. My point s is probably hasnt even been looked at yet and can take months for it to be processed. People are freaking out over their own fears and lack of knowledge of the timeline is. Its a bucket of cold water, a slap in the face to get a freaking grip on themslves

Ah that's probably okay then. Sometimes they can come off as aggressive and lead to tensions so better to avoid them where possible

the OP stated its been a month and that must mean his/her application has been rejected. My point s is probably hasnt even been looked at yet and can take months for it to be processed. People are freaking out over their own fears and lack of knowledge of the timeline is. Its a bucket of cold water, a slap in the face to get a freaking grip on themslves

"I submitted a week ago and still haven't heard anything" posts make me wince. Learn patience, you are going to need a lot of it in the years to come.

Vent and Rant Warning : mature adults only

WTF!!!! Schools get 5,000-10,000 or more applications and at the most can process 500 a week. And its nots even Labor Day. Most adcoms are not even running at full capacity. No matter when you put your secondaries is, it will be evaluated and reviewed based on the eval score/summart/priority. Getting applications in by Sept 1 merely mean you are somewhere in the pile that will be reviewed prior to Thanksgiving.

So sit down, shut up, and quit whining

This concludes another is s series of exceedingly-exasperated, often-obnoxious, frequently-foulmouth, posts from ... well, my avatar says it all

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress
I appreciate your help.

My concerns were rooted in a lack of knowledge because I didn’t know that applications processed that slowly (500/wk, unstaffed, etc) and up until Thanksgiving. Thank you. I’ve only seen the timelines you and others have posted about getting secondaries/LORs in before Labor Day means early/on time. So when I abide by this timeline and interviews pop up for people who have submitted secondaries to schools at the same time/after me, my apprehension grows (as does every other applicant on SDN, I’m sure). I recognized, prior to this post, that my application has not been reviewed by numerous schools, but I also find it hard to believe that none of the 20+ schools I applied to have not yet glanced at my application (and set it aside for further review, hold, etc).

I do think you misinterpreted my concerns as “whining” about “being rejected”. The point of my post was not to complain nor to say “woe is me, I’ve been rejected after being in the cycle for the 30 days”. I apologize if that was my tone. Because I endured this in a previous cycle and the 10+ month wait before lol. I would like to avoid another reapplication or a career change if I can. I was simply asking if there was anything I can do in the coming months to continue to improve my application and/or stand out favorably in the eyes of the schools I’ve applied to.

I know how toxic or helpful people on this site can be. Any time you post a thread there’s a risk. Thankfully SDN’s opinion of me means little, so it’s not causing any tension that @Lawper alluded to, but I do value your opinion about the process and about reapplication. I like to think your threads will contribute to my success in this cycle. Thank you again. Hopefully I have less to complain about in the future and can look back and laugh at my behavior.

If anyone does have advice or feedback on tangible activities or experiences or ideas for things I can do (update on activities, new LOR, letters of interest, etc), Id love to hear them

I appreciate your help.

My concerns were rooted in a lack of knowledge because I didn’t know that applications processed that slowly (500/wk, unstaffed, etc) and up until Thanksgiving. Thank you. I’ve only seen the timelines you and others have posted about getting secondaries/LORs in before Labor Day means early/on time. So when I abide by this timeline and interviews pop up for people who have submitted secondaries to schools at the same time/after me, my apprehension grows (as does every other applicant on SDN, I’m sure). I recognized, prior to this post, that my application has not been reviewed by numerous schools, but I also find it hard to believe that none of the 20+ schools I applied to have not yet glanced at my application (and set it aside for further review, hold, etc).

I do think you misinterpreted my concerns as “whining” about “being rejected”. The point of my post was not to complain nor to say “woe is me, I’ve been rejected after being in the cycle for the 30 days”. I apologize if that was my tone. Because I endured this in a previous cycle and the 10+ month wait before lol. I would like to avoid another reapplication or a career change if I can. I was simply asking if there was anything I can do in the coming months to continue to improve my application and/or stand out favorably in the eyes of the schools I’ve applied to.

I know how toxic or helpful people on this site can be. Any time you post a thread there’s a risk. Thankfully SDN’s opinion of me means little, so it’s not causing any tension that @Lawper alluded to, but I do value your opinion about the process and about reapplication. I like to think your threads will contribute to my success in this cycle. Thank you again. Hopefully I have less to complain about in the future and can look back and laugh at my behavior.

If anyone does have advice or feedback on tangible activities or experiences or ideas for things I can do (update on activities, new LOR, letters of interest, etc), Id love to hear them
Not much you can really do now but wait. I know you're frustrated to think about the worst possible scenario, but keep your head high! Hope that good news awaits you soon!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm working as a scribe full-time and getting some clinical volunteering hours because I'm passionate about working with the underserved. Currently have ~1800 hrs clinical exposure, ~725 hours leadership in student gov't/club exec, ~250 hours research w/ publication, 200 hours non-clincal volunteering, 160 hours of shadowing and counting. I have other things I've done but I'm trying to think of what I can get involved with this year that will help. My only tentative idea is getting a LOR from my scribe supervisor and sending them in as an update.

Edit: forgot to add: yes, I'm applying MD and DO, yes I am preparing to not get in and have a back-up plan.
Stay busy and stop viewing the admission process as a measure of your self-worth. It's not healthy.
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.
Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

I appreciate your help.

You don't need to explain yourself or be apologetic to anyone on here. I know exactly how you feel given that I went through all of last application cycle waiting like you just to be constantly disappointed, overlooked, and rejected. So anyone on here who tells you to "sit down, shut up, and quit whining" or anything similar should buzz off because it doesn't always work out for everyone. Apply to more schools if you have the finances and keep working on your extracurriculars, that's all you can really do at the moment. Also, if there are any gaps or weaknesses in your app that you can think of, try to remedy them as soon as possible and provide updates to schools to show continued progress and interest.

And just some anecdotal evidence to hopefully lift your spirits a bit, I started this cycle as an optimistic re-applicant only to be hit with a rejection and two holds within the first week or two. One of the holds came very shortly after submitting my app so I thought I was going to be doomed at other schools if I'm getting put aside so quickly. To my surprise, that hasn't been the case. Just because one, two, or several schools don't see something in you, doesn't mean others won't. So best of luck, chin up, and lets keep moving forward.

Reactions: 2 users
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by Labor Day is early/ontime. By late or end of September is about middle/normal speed, by end of October is about late.
You need to stop spreading this nonsense. Being verified by the first date of primary transmission to medical schools and submitting secondaries right away gives you a massive edge in the admissions process. Applying early to every school on your school list maximizes your chances at early interviews, and therefore, early acceptances. By following the timeline you've suggested above, you're effectively putting yourself in a pile with thousands upon thousands of other applicants, at which point it becomes indisputably more difficult to get interviews.

Last edited:
You need to stop spreading this nonsense. Being verified by the first date of primary transmission to medical schools and submitted secondaries right away gives you a massive edge in the admissions process. Applying early to every school on your school list maximizes your chances at early interviews, and therefore, early acceptances. By following the timeline you've suggested above, you're effectively putting yourself in a pile with thousands upon thousands of other applicants, at which point it becomes indisputably more difficult to get interviews.

Now this is interesting to see. Because what gonnif said follows @LizzyM holiday rules on when to be complete and still be okay. Being complete by Labor Day in September is generally viewed to be okay on here by adcoms and by many successful applicants across cycles.

Oh boy here we go

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    754.7 KB · Views: 33
You need to stop spreading this nonsense. Being verified by the first date of primary transmission to medical schools and submitting secondaries right away gives you a massive edge in the admissions process. Applying early to every school on your school list maximizes your chances at early interviews, and therefore, early acceptances. By following the timeline you've suggested above, you're effectively putting yourself in a pile with thousands upon thousands of other applicants, at which point it becomes indisputably more difficult to get interviews.

Now this is interesting to see. Because what gonnif said follows @LizzyM holiday rules on when to be complete and still be okay. Being complete by Labor Day in September is generally viewed to be okay on here by adcoms and by many successful applicants across cycles.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle, but closer to the Labor Day philosophy. A few schools publicly disclose information (UMich being a good example) that clearly shows that there is a higher chance of getting an interview early in the cycle (July). But at the same time, I think the Labor Day deadline is used to ensure that your application will at-least get looked at and evaluated normally at every school. Anything in October and beyond probably leaves an applicant at risk of never getting looked at or being so late in the cycle that there are no/few interviews left.

My guess is that being complete everywhere (assume 25 schools) in early July vs mid-August functionally translates to maybe an extra interview or two at the end of the day (or more if you are a very unique applicant applying to a lot of low-yield schools where its known to be better to submit early). That "extra" interview or two could be the difference between being an incoming M1 or a reapplicant, especially for those on the fence to begin with. Obviously there are exceptions where it could seriously hurt you (looking at you Tulane with your extremely early cycle, ugh).

But in the grand scheme of things, I believe that being complete mid-August vs early July probably won't really make a big difference for someone with a solid application and a solid list of schools. If anything, they might just start interviewing a month or two later.

I believe all of this based on me anecdotally comparing applicants from my school (where the committee letter causes most applicants to be complete in August) with similar applicants from my home state school that were allowed to submit early and be complete early (which doesn't have a committee).

Last edited:
Heads up to future readers of this thread, I would take what adcoms and faculty here seriously and not put any weight into applicants' personal experiences. Being complete by Labor Day is okay and being complete any day after risks being late. If you want to be early, submit your AMCAS primary in early June and prewrite secondaries so that you can complete all secomdaries by early July.

But note that submitting a good application that's a bit late is better than submitting an early application that's garbage. The ideal choice is submitting a good application early.

Reactions: 6 users
Other than this “nonsense” being accurate and how the vast majority of applications get processed and that your paranoia that somehow if you dont apply early you’ll chances being near zero, I think we are in agreement. Hey but what do I know after spending the last two decades involved in analyzing, developing and implementing systems for processing applications at both across centralized systems and many schools? I would suggest something that is anatomically impossible for most but you, its apparent you more than meet needed size requirement. At least an intepretation of your statements would seem to suggest than that. Have a nice day
If I wanted your resume I would've asked for it. There's nothing to debate here. Apply early to maximize your chances.

Well this needs a list.
I would suggest something that is anatomically impossible for most but you, its apparent you more than meet needed size requirement. At least an intepretation of your statements would seem to suggest than that.

SOMEONE CALL THE AMBULANCE FOR THIS MASSIVE BURN

2. Well obviously the earlier you apply the better it is. But it's not gonna give you a "massive edge" like @Pharaoh95 said.

3. IS THE AMBULANCE HERE YET???

oops @gonnif, u weren't the intended audience. I was simply saying that for possibly neurotic people to read (again).