Laito

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I just graduated med school only with 20K loan, after using my military benefit. I am going to to primary care specialty. What should I do with this loan? Should I just pay it off or are there any program that can help paying off? I'm very grateful that I have graduated with minimal loan, but being a nontraditional student with family, any financial support goes far. Any advice is appreciated!

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If finances are a concern, do an income-based repayment plan during residency, paying it down more as you’re able.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 11, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Does your school have a financial aid office? I would touch base with them. We were told to explore private refinancing (however this does eliminate the possibility of it being forgiven someday) if our loans were <100,000. For everyone else, they recommended consolidation and income based repayment plans with the option to apply for PSLF.

About the Ads

cj_cregg

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If your goal is to get out of debt as soon as possible and you can afford to be aggressive enough to get it paid off before the end of residency (eg if you're in a low COL area for residency and your spouse also works): just pay as much as you can afford per month until it's paid off

If your goal is to pay as little as possible: Do an income based repayment plan, pay the minimum payments on the loan throughout residency, and get the rest paid off by your new employer as part of your sign on bonus when you sign your contract for your first attending job.

Reactions: 1 users

y123

7+ Year Member
May 6, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
20k is nothing. You can probably pay it off easily during residency

Reactions: 2 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads