What to do with a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soo21085

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering taking a year off. What do you think would be the best thing to do?

Teach English in Japan
1 year MBA program
1 year MPH program
Year-long internship

Anything else that would benefit me?

Members don't see this ad.

Teaching English in Japan for a year might make it difficult (and expensive) to get to interviews. Year-long internship or the MPH program in the states would be better.

What do you want to do with your medical education?

If you want to do things like primary care, GP, social work stuff - an MPH would help.

If you want to run your own practice, an MBA would help. But neither needs these degrees, so I'd say do what you are interested in and do it well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of them would be great; they are all productive choices, so I guess it's up to you to decide which you would enjoy the most. The only choice I have hesitation with is the teaching in Japan only because it would be a bit difficult to fly back and forth to your interviews. Good luck!

I think an MBA program would be good, especially if you are considering private practice. If you want to work in the public sector later then MPH might be the way to go.

teaching english in japan- No...it will be difficult during the application process..especially the interview.

the other three are a good idea...do whatever you are most interested in.