What to do with rejection letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkmanAl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It occurred to me yesterday that I'd saved all my rejection letters and should probably to something more creative than throwing them away. I'm a huge fan of the 4th of July, so my first thought was to wrap them in a ton of explosives and watch the confetti fly. Anything else I should be doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't offer you much advice, but your thought is awesome.

It occurred to me yesterday that I'd saved all my rejection letters and should probably to something more creative than throwing them away. I'm a huge fan of the 4th of July, so my first thought was to wrap them in a ton of explosives and watch the confetti fly. Anything else I should be doing?

Well, if you're ever low on toilet paper...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to save mine.

*Then when I'm invited over as a guest speaker to the med school, I will send the letter back with two post-its. The first will read, "Unfortunately, there were many great candidate schools to choose from. This must be disappointing for you." And the second (underneath the first) will read, "We all make mistakes."

*I believe I got this idea from someone else. Not sure who.

That's hilarious. If I felt like keeping these things around for that long and participating in the lecture circuit, I'd definitely follow suit.

I'd frame them and hang them on my wall to remind myself how humbling it is to be a doctor.

humility sucks.
i'm the shizznit.
i'm just throwing mine away, and balling up my grudges into tight little balls. and then keeping my anger inside my belly. i'll release it at an appropriate time.

That's hilarious. If I felt like keeping these things around for that long and participating in the lecture circuit, I'd definitely follow suit.

:cool: I'll be sure to contact you 10 years down the road.

bonfire.jpg

I totally forgot I made this thread. I thought you'd all like to know that my numerous rejections were obliterated by about a thousand firecrackers and several flares. Satisfaction guaranteed. I clearly recall cackling like a madman the whole time they burned/exploded.

I totally forgot I made this thread. I thought you'd all like to know that my numerous rejections were obliterated by about a thousand firecrackers and several flares. Satisfaction guaranteed. I clearly recall cackling like a madman the whole time they burned/exploded.

:smuggrin::horns::corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
Use a scanner, printer, and photoshop to edit out your name put in the name of someone you dislike a lot. Then send all the letters to that person. :)

Use a scanner, printer, and photoshop to edit out your name put in the name of someone you dislike a lot. Then send all the letters to that person. :)

Someone who happens to have applied to those schools.

Wow, I love your twisted mind, Epi. This could work.

Someone who happens to have applied to those schools.

Wow, I love your twisted mind, Epi. This could work.

What can I say, you wouldn't want to get on my bad side ;)

:)

If I get a formal rejection from HMS, I will frame it. Conversely, if I get an acceptance from HMS, I still probably won't go, but it still gets framed.

I like the idea of sending them back a few dozen years down the line though, when you're world famous. ;)

I like the idea of sending them back a few dozen years down the line though, when you're world famous. ;)

yeah but then you just look petty

yeah but then you just look petty
Petty? I'm considering sending a copy of my med school acceptance letter (if I get one...) to the elementary school principal who hated me when I was a kid. "Hope you're my patient someday."

Nah.... I'm not petty ;)

(Kidding... mostly. The thought did cross my mind)

I'd like to send a copy of my acceptance letter to a principal that told my parents:

"Your child will be in jail or worse by the time he is 18, he will never amount to anything, and he has drastically lower than average intelligence"

This was the same principal who I socked in the face after she slapped me(I was in Kindergarten)

Oh yeah, and this was also when we lived in Canada... crazy Canadians.

As for my rejection letters, I prefer the idea of putting them up on the walls of my room, to remind myself how far I've come, and to give myself motivation to work harder.

That is awesome :) I will probably wait to see if/where I'm accepted because I have a feeling I'll have a different view on the rejections if I'm happy at the end of this cycle. I do have a friend who participates in potato launching competitions - maybe I'll put the letters in the barrel and let them be obliterated by the humble spud.

I lived in South Porcupine, which is a suburb of Timmins(more or less). Ontario

I lived in South Porcupine, which is a suburb of Timmins(more or less). Ontario

Just curious b/c I had a similar experience (5th grade, teacher threw a dictionary at me after I corrected a math mistake he'd made - I will grant I was an obnoxious little **** though.)

I unceremoniously crumpled mine up and tossed it in the waste can last cycle.

Not sure if any rejections would get much more fanfare this cycle or not.

I put mine in the shredder. It was fun. :)

Currently, I've got my only rejection taped to the wall in front of my desk as a means of reminding me to keep my ass moving. However, after all my secondaries have gone out, I intend to quarter and impale it (and any others) on pikes and set them upon London Bridge as a warning to any further rejection letters.

Currently, I've got my only rejection taped to the wall in front of my desk as a means of reminding me to keep my ass moving. However, after all my secondaries have gone out, I intend to quarter and impale it (and any others) on pikes and set them upon London Bridge as a warning to any further rejection letters.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP2-Fo_byI[/YOUTUBE]

I go to an indoor shooting range once a month or so to work out some stress, so as suggested by a woman far wiser than I, as soon as I have a whole bunch of rejections I will make a little collage of them and bring the now-huge piece of paper to the range, where I will proceed to shoot as many holes as I can into it with my favorite 9mm pistol. I can't imagine better catharsis. I will consider the fake dean's signatures as bullseyes.

I go to an indoor shooting range once a month or so to work out some stress, so as suggested by a woman far wiser than I, as soon as I have a whole bunch of rejections I will make a little collage of them and bring the now-huge piece of paper to the range, where I will proceed to shoot as many holes as I can into it with my favorite 9mm pistol. I can't imagine better catharsis. I will consider the fake dean's signatures as bullseyes.
note to self, don't cross LET

That's it! You show those rejection letters to-be you're not playing!

Petty? I'm considering sending a copy of my med school acceptance letter (if I get one...) to the elementary school principal who hated me when I was a kid. "Hope you're my patient someday."

Nah.... I'm not petty ;)

(Kidding... mostly. The thought did cross my mind)
I'm still considering sending a copy of my acceptance letter to a nosy neighbor who, back in high school, accused my parents of not parenting properly (because I used to have parties pretty frequently). I sent her a copy of my 1550 on the SAT with the note "Not quite perfect. My parents must suck." written on it right after I heard what she'd said.

Send them back to the school with an official-looking "insufficient postage" mark on them.