What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulRx14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was enrolled in a PhD program but due to some issues with my department I decided to switch to a masters instead. I was thinking about applying to pharmD programs this admissions cycle. The school where I am told me they would not look at my application until I successfully complete my masters degree. So basically I would have to sit out an entire year because I'll be done with my masters at the end of the summer.Im not doing that and I have decided to just forget about that particular pharmD program. So know I'm in this dilemma where I have to apply to other schools. I don't mind doing that but what if I'm not admitted? I refuse to sit out an entire year doing nothing. I just need to figure out what I want to do with my life at this point because I'm over the age of 25. Any advice on what I should do? I thought about nursing and PA but I think most of those application deadlines have passed. I just can't catch a break.

Members don't see this ad.

I would make sure you know what your getting into. Really weigh the cost/benefits and not rush into something. 25 is still young in your career. I have never understood why people would go into pharmacy borrow 100k+ without shadowing or working in the field. Honestly from your post a year off may be good for you to figure things out. Sounds like you aren't sure what your goals are. A year to save some money and shadow a bunch of careers could save you from getting handcuffed into some field you don't like but have to do for financial reasons. If you go thru with pharmacy my advice is: work during school for connections/experience, go to cheapest school, and lastly take it seriously. Too many people go in for the money and don't really care about patients. There are better ways to make much more than a pharmacist if your looking for income. Best luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

I would make sure you know what your getting into. Really weigh the cost/benefits and not rush into something. 25 is still young in your career. I have never understood why people would go into pharmacy borrow 100k+ without shadowing or working in the field. Honestly from your post a year off may be good for you to figure things out. Sounds like you aren't sure what your goals are. A year to save some money and shadow a bunch of careers could save you from getting handcuffed into some field you don't like but have to do for financial reasons. If you go thru with pharmacy my advice is: work during school for connections/experience, go to cheapest school, and lastly take it seriously. Too many people go in for the money and don't really care about patients. There are better ways to make much more than a pharmacist if your looking for income. Best luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile
Pharmacy was my goal initially but I was not admitted so I decided to change it up. I like research but it's something I couldn't do forever. So I have shadowed a ton of pharmacists in different environments. The hardest part for me has been getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Diesel mechanic.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was enrolled in a PhD program but due to some issues with my department I decided to switch to a masters instead. I was thinking about applying to pharmD programs this admissions cycle. The school where I am told me they would not look at my application until I successfully complete my masters degree. So basically I would have to sit out an entire year because I'll be done with my masters at the end of the summer.Im not doing that and I have decided to just forget about that particular pharmD program. So know I'm in this dilemma where I have to apply to other schools. I don't mind doing that but what if I'm not admitted? I refuse to sit out an entire year doing nothing. I just need to figure out what I want to do with my life at this point because I'm over the age of 25. Any advice on what I should do? I thought about nursing and PA but I think most of those application deadlines have passed. I just can't catch a break.

25 is young...do not rush into things. Do pharmacy if you like/love it...it's not the profession it used to be. Sitting out 1 year and buffing up your app is not that bad...many people do it. If it comes to that...yes..don't waste it doing nothing...start volunteering/ECs/Research...a stronger app opens alot more options for you. I feel that NP/PA is the route that you should go if you're leaning healthcare.

with the masters degree couldnt u get a job? why not go into teaching? 3 months of "summer" vacation. whereas a pharmacist for cvs will be denied all summers. my colleague has 15 years with cvs got denied any summer off. then theres holidays off. my pharmacist partner works on christmas n thanksgiving every year. every thanksgiving. every christmas. i'm sure the grass looks real green from your perspective, but many pharmacists today are working slave hours. many are struggling to get a job out of school (all the while with huge student loans).

with the masters degree couldnt u get a job? why not go into teaching? 3 months of "summer" vacation. whereas a pharmacist for cvs will be denied all summers. my colleague has 15 years with cvs got denied any summer off. then theres holidays off. my pharmacist partner works on christmas n thanksgiving every year. every thanksgiving. every christmas. i'm sure the grass looks real green from your perspective, but many pharmacists today are working slave hours. many are struggling to get a job out of school (all the while with huge student loans).

Teachers are even more a "dime a dozen" than pharmacists.

OP, if you weren't accepted into pharmacy school the first time around, what has changed that make you think you will be accepted the second time? And more pertinent, if the schools didn't think you were capable of graduating pharmacy school the first time around, what has changed in you that would make you more capable of graduating pharmacy school this time around? There are plenty of threads here about students flunking out of pharmacy school....you don't want that to be you.

Nursing and PA are significantly different jobs than pharmacy. People would be a lot happier if they thought about what career they would actually want to do, instead of trying to figure out what career will make them the most money the fastest.

As for your "refusing to sit out a year", the reality is, it's possible no school will accept you. So you need to have a back-up plan on what you are going to do (ie back-up job utilizing your masters, not just 'sitting out a year.')

I "sat out" a year longer than I originally planned to before starting pharmacy school (personal/family reasons). Sometimes I do wish I hadn't had to do that, but I used my year to work full time and I saved up enough money to pay for a decent chunk of my pharmacy school tuition, so it wasn't time wasted. You're making a really big decision that will most likely determine what you spend the next 40-ish years of your life doing. A year is a very small amount of time in your life.

To the OP: Do not get into pharmacy if you are not sure about it. Not the best return on your investment, due to the over saturation of pharmacists to come. Agree with the other posters that you should avoid doing it for the money. It makes more sense to do what you are good at that will pay you enough to cover your bills. If you are having a career existential crisis, I'd suggest checking out www.8000hours.org .Good luck with your journey!

First go into cvs on a busy intersection and sit in waiting chair at 5 pm monday. sit for an hour and see what pharmacy is like haha