What to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubster9

Crown Prince
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with honors from a very well respected LAC with a degreen in political science and philosophy. I have worked for the past few years on Wall Street. I have been toying with the idea of going to medical school, of course I would need to do the pre-reqs and take the MCAT. Is this even doable?

Members don't see this ad.

bubster9 said:
I graduated with honors from a very well respected LAC with a degreen in political science and philosophy. I have worked for the past few years on Wall Street. I have been toying with the idea of going to medical school, of course I would need to do the pre-reqs and take the MCAT. Is this even doable?

You have come to the right place my friend. It is certainly doable and I would highly recommend any program that has a linkage with a medical school. UPenn has one I believe, there are a couple of others, check out the sticky posted at the top of this thread. A buddy of mine used to work for Goldman Sacks in NY and is now a 2nd year surgery resident. He had a degree in economics I believe.

Tooth

bubster9 said:

very much do-able. i didn't work on wall street, but i worked at a consulting firm whose clients were wall street firms. i'm starting med school this fall.

Since I know you all like things quantified...

Transition time: 2 years from quitting job to beginning med school, assuming you do well, and you get in your first time applying (myself and an ibank friend of mine both did it in 2 years, but I met a lot of re-applicants when i was interviewing).
Cost: ~$60k in additional student loans, if not more
Opportunity Cost: don't think about this one
Benefits: Probability of mid-life crisis decreases (nothing ever has zero probability). No more cubicles. More flexibility (you have the option to do private practice if the enterpreneurial spirit bites you).
Cons: You start over at square one. And you'll make less 4-5 years down the road than you do now.

It's grossly over-simplified, and I'm sure there's more to it than just that, but it's a quick and dirty list for you to take to the drawing board with you.

Since you're already in NYC, check out Columbia's post-bacc program. My friend went through that program and will be starting this fall as well. Also check out the non-traditional's forum. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, if money is an issue for you always remember you can take classes a la carte at a local college/unversity or enroll as a second degree student. I'm guessing money isn't an issue for you so I would go with a good post bacc program. Depends on what type of student though, I implore you to research the programs. I personal would never go to Columbia from the negative things I've heard and the lack of support structure but that is just me :)

lightnk102 said:
No more cubicles.

HaHa. That alone would have been enough for me to quit my job and get out of corporate life.

All of those who have responded are definitely correct. Leaving your job now is definitely doable. I left my job at the accounting firm of Ernst & Young (5 Times Square location) last month to pursue a post-bacc at Suny Stony Brook out on Long Island. It will be a long haul but if your motivation to pursue a career in medicine is strong enough, it is definitely doable. Good luck.