What to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tranceradu

i like the bass
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

so I'm kind of in a dilemma right now. I took the Aug MCATs last year and scored a 25, which was well below my averages from AAMC and Kaplan. So i decided to take them again this Aug and focus mainly on verbal which was low, and then try to boost the others. Well, I've used the EK stuff and my verbal has really improved, but my PS has gone down considerably since I haven't focused on it as much as I could've.
Right now, I don't feel very confident in myself, so I don't know what to do. I could technically review all the PS stuff (mainly Chem) and try to fix my weak areas, or I could just not take it if I don't have the confidence. I want to improve my score since I know that my potential is much higher.

As of now, I just took the AAMC 7 yesterday and got a 28 (PS8 VR10 BS10), and I'm thinking of taking the AAMC 8 on saturday. If I don't get above a 31 on it, then I'm not gonna take it in Aug. Is that a bad idea?

Any opinions?

Do most schools average the MCAT scores?

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should just take the August MCAT. I dont think a 28 on an AAMC test is bad at all. I know that it may seem bad, because its not a 30. However, I think that on the real thing you may go up a couple of points on PS.

Just try to concentrate on PS from now until next week. You probably just forgot some formulas. Just keep reviewing.

jules0328 said:
I think you should just take the August MCAT. I dont think a 28 on an AAMC test is bad at all. I know that it may seem bad, because its not a 30. However, I think that on the real thing you may go up a couple of points on PS.

Just try to concentrate on PS from now until next week. You probably just forgot some formulas. Just keep reviewing.

yeah, but at the same time, i just feel like i need to be close to 100%. but this is what makes this damn test so annoying... you will never feel 100% comfortable, and also, you're never going to need to know everything. bah.

Take the test! You have never been as well prepared as you are right now. You will never feel ready. My guess is that you are rapidly approaching burnout and once that threshold is reached it actually becomes counter productive because you just don't have the same ability to focus and the same old equations and mind benders. Think about it this way. If you don't take it you will definitely not have a score better than 25.You've worked hard, trust yourself, and take the test. Secondly, most schools will look at both scores and note the best. If it's a huge improvement good for you. If it's a couple of points, well thats probably within the same standard deviation and won't make a big difference unless it's that two points that puts you into the 30's. I'm a fourth year med student and remember the anxiety. Just do your best and I can assure you there are A LOT of doctors that didn't get the golden numbers right away, or ever, but had miles of perserverence. Good Luck and keep it in perspective.-EM2006

Tranceradu said:
Hi guys,

so I'm kind of in a dilemma right now. I took the Aug MCATs last year and scored a 25, which was well below my averages from AAMC and Kaplan. So i decided to take them again this Aug and focus mainly on verbal which was low, and then try to boost the others. Well, I've used the EK stuff and my verbal has really improved, but my PS has gone down considerably since I haven't focused on it as much as I could've.
Right now, I don't feel very confident in myself, so I don't know what to do. I could technically review all the PS stuff (mainly Chem) and try to fix my weak areas, or I could just not take it if I don't have the confidence. I want to improve my score since I know that my potential is much higher.

As of now, I just took the AAMC 7 yesterday and got a 28 (PS8 VR10 BS10), and I'm thinking of taking the AAMC 8 on saturday. If I don't get above a 31 on it, then I'm not gonna take it in Aug. Is that a bad idea?

Any opinions?

Do most schools average the MCAT scores?

Thanks for your help