1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

what to do?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by crash2500, Feb 14, 2007.

1. crash2500

crash2500 ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

i am applying to med school and i have a 3.4 gpa from a top twenty school and a 34 mcat. I was one that only "matured" and got myself together after taking an enormous hit to my gpa. I spread myself to thin sophomore year and got a D in bio. I retook in the summer semester and got a B+ so my gpa is both grades averaged in. Since then i have gotten A's in orgo 1 and 2 and physics 2 along with analytical chemistry. Just wondering what my chances were of getting into UAB as i am an alabama resident. I know being of south asian decent will only make it tougher. Should I even apply to any top twenty schools? should i retake the mcat and try for a 35+ score? your responses would greatly relieve my stress levels. thanks
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JoeNamath4Eva

JoeNamath4Eva Membership Revoked
    Removed

i thought being a urm would GREATLY help you get in somewhere. I'd say a URM w/ those stats could get in anywhere, right? how long did you study for the mcat?

3. OP
    OP
    crash2500

crash2500 ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

three months. a south asian or indian is not underrepresented in the medical field.

4. skillmatic

skillmatic Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    I don't think you should retake. A 34 is a really good score already. You risk getting a lower score. I also think you have a decent shot at UAB, seeing as how you are in-state. On a side note, filipinoes aren't considered underrepresented, are they?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're fine. No need to retake. Limit yourself on the Top 20's though- apply only to those you can't not apply to. By the way, don't apply to UPitt since they'll screen you out (they do automatic interviews).

6. MedStudentWanna

MedStudentWanna Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

They would screen out a 3.4 with a 34 MCAT? That's rough. What's their cut-off?

7. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hard to say exactly. The reason I claimed that they give automatic interviews is that pretty much everyone on SDN who applied and got an interview invite got the invite within 24 hours of submitting their secondary, and often before their application was fully complete (e.g.: missing letters of recommendation). Now as far as those people's stats- most everyone had the good/great MCAT with the highish GPA combo. One didn't seem to make up for the other.