what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crash2500

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am applying to med school and i have a 3.4 gpa from a top twenty school and a 34 mcat. I was one that only "matured" and got myself together after taking an enormous hit to my gpa. I spread myself to thin sophomore year and got a D in bio. I retook in the summer semester and got a B+ so my gpa is both grades averaged in. Since then i have gotten A's in orgo 1 and 2 and physics 2 along with analytical chemistry. Just wondering what my chances were of getting into UAB as i am an alabama resident. I know being of south asian decent will only make it tougher. Should I even apply to any top twenty schools? should i retake the mcat and try for a 35+ score? your responses would greatly relieve my stress levels. thanks
user_offline.gif

Members don't see this ad.

i thought being a urm would GREATLY help you get in somewhere. I'd say a URM w/ those stats could get in anywhere, right? how long did you study for the mcat?

I don't think you should retake. A 34 is a really good score already. You risk getting a lower score. I also think you have a decent shot at UAB, seeing as how you are in-state. On a side note, filipinoes aren't considered underrepresented, are they?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. No need to retake. Limit yourself on the Top 20's though- apply only to those you can't not apply to. By the way, don't apply to UPitt since they'll screen you out (they do automatic interviews).

i am applying to med school and i have a 3.4 gpa from a top twenty school and a 34 mcat. I was one that only "matured" and got myself together after taking an enormous hit to my gpa. I spread myself to thin sophomore year and got a D in bio. I retook in the summer semester and got a B+ so my gpa is both grades averaged in. Since then i have gotten A's in orgo 1 and 2 and physics 2 along with analytical chemistry. Just wondering what my chances were of getting into UAB as i am an alabama resident. I know being of south asian decent will only make it tougher. Should I even apply to any top twenty schools? should i retake the mcat and try for a 35+ score? your responses would greatly relieve my stress levels. thanks
user_offline.gif

You're fine. No need to retake. Limit yourself on the Top 20's though- apply only to those you can't not apply to. By the way, don't apply to UPitt since they'll screen you out (they do automatic interviews).

They would screen out a 3.4 with a 34 MCAT? That's rough. What's their cut-off?

Hard to say exactly. The reason I claimed that they give automatic interviews is that pretty much everyone on SDN who applied and got an interview invite got the invite within 24 hours of submitting their secondary, and often before their application was fully complete (e.g.: missing letters of recommendation). Now as far as those people's stats- most everyone had the good/great MCAT with the highish GPA combo. One didn't seem to make up for the other.

They would screen out a 3.4 with a 34 MCAT? That's rough. What's their cut-off?