What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcl2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get my away rotations set for next year and have run into a dilemma. I an MSIII from a low tier med school that no one has heard of and I would be happy just to match in the SE for rad onc. I am limited to two, maybe three aways. My questions is this: should I do an away at a big name (MDACC/MSKCC) to try and get a good letter and then one other away at a SE spot or should I forego big name and try and rotate at two/three SE places I would like to go? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation. My school has no rad onc department. I reserved a spot at MD Anderson and I am hoping to get another spot at a school near me to rotate through. You are right, the rising MSIII at the school you are trying to visit will have first preference for those coveted months of July and August. I found that this was not a problem at some of the independent rad onc programs (not strongly linked to med school) like MD Anderson, MSKCC, probably Fox Chase, etc. Try to get a spot at one of those places so you can ensure you will be able to do an away rotation.
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Anderson and Memorial do not interview all the away rotators at their institutions. My advice is aim low and place a well-aimed shot at an institution that is more likely to be impressed with you and take you in as a future resident.

MD Anderson and Memorial do not interview all the away rotators at their institutions. My advice is aim low and place a well-aimed shot at an institution that is more likely to be impressed with you and take you in as a future resident.

That is what my approach has been so far (though I'm not really calling it aiming low). I'm doing more of a regional basis with programs that are more likely to be familiar with my school.