What to eat on shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a random question. Obviously alot of us don't have the luxury of sitting down and having a full meal during a shift. What do you guys bring to snack on? I've been goin with water, protein bar, maybe some pretzels or chips. Might just start packing a sandwich. What do you guys bring to snack on while working?

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of a random question. Obviously alot of us don't have the luxury of sitting down and having a full meal during a shift. What do you guys bring to snack on? I've been goin with water, protein bar, maybe some pretzels or chips. Might just start packing a sandwich. What do you guys bring to snack on while working?

I drink soylent. About 800 calories per shaker bottle that I bring and it's easy to knock back 200-300 calories quickly even if you're slammed, which more often than not we are.

Pop tarts and Gatorade. Coffee in moderation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roasted almonds and chocolate chips mixed in a bag.

Trader Joe's mini packets - cranberries, almonds, and cashews.

Ideally trail mix, something like a naked juice smoothie - realistically the majority of the time even if I bring food, I forget to eat it because it's too busy, if I didn't bring food and I have time, I will scavenge the ED for graham crackers, peanut butter and jelly on saltines, coffee etc. If I have time before my AM shift when working at one of our smaller EDs, I will pick up bagels for all the ED staff and it guarantees me a snack midday too.

Sandwich.

I don't have a lot of time to make a lunch, and I was burning through money picking something up on the way to work (which usually wasn't healthy anyway).

Now I get 2 pieces of fancy bread from the grocery store, slap hummus or black bean spread on it, then pack it in a zip lock bag. Better than the fries I was eating formerly.

BUSY SHIFT: trail mix and granola bars
SLOW SHIFT: delivery pizza or chinese

Didn't you hear? We aren't allowed to eat in patient care areas. And apparently my computer at the desk is where patients are cared for.

It's okay though, all doctors are allowed to leave for a mandatory 30 minutes at a time and yell at anyone who tries to ask them to do something during that time. Oh wait, wrong medical professional.

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't you hear? We aren't allowed to eat in patient care areas. And apparently my computer at the desk is where patients are cared for.
The glory of working all night shifts is "night shift rules". no admin folks around means I can eat and drink where ever I want, leave my vocera in the charger where it belongs, and retriage within the rack to see the sickest folks first. and if some frequent flyer needs a therapeutic wait for their 10th visit this week, they get it.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice save. Humanity is thankful.

;)

No, but seriously. Can you believe people get paid to go around and say that, over and over again?

But they let the patients eat!

I often work an obscenely early morning shift (5a-1a) and I bring packets of instant oatmeal if I have a chance. Can of soup works well, too. For years, my go-to was Progresso's cream of chicken and wild rice. I mix it up depending on how I feel.

This may make some people upset, but I will tell you right now that you actually do have time to eat on shift. When I was a first year resident, I would work a 12 hr shift never stopping to eat, and I would feel terrible by the end. Eventually an enlightened attending pulled me aside and told me every shift has at least one 5-10 min pause in it where you have time to eat. He told me that if I couldn't find those times, then I was doing something wrong. He was a wise man and it changed my perspective. I started finding those spots and eating meals I had prepped at home and would microwave at work. I felt much better/happier on shift as a result. That was almost 10 years ago and I still prep a lot of my meals (usually some type of meat, veggie +- a grain with some sauce) or just have the hospital deliver my meal. Their room service is available to us for free and pretty decent: steak, pizza, quesadilla, salmon, stir fry, etc.

I'm at a shop where our group sees 2.5-3.0 pph plus we see all of the Midlevel patients as well (usually another 1.5-2 pph) with an overall admit rate of 20-25%. So our pace and acuity is on the upper end of everything I see posted here and elsewhere. We all eat real food on shift and you should too.

Reactions: 1 users
This may make some people upset, but I will tell you right now that you actually do have time to eat on shift. When I was a first year resident, I would work a 12 hr shift never stopping to eat, and I would feel terrible by the end. Eventually an enlightened attending pulled me aside and told me every shift has at least one 5-10 min pause in it where you have time to eat. He told me that if I couldn't find those times, then I was doing something wrong. He was a wise man and it changed my perspective. I started finding those spots and eating meals I had prepped at home and would microwave at work. I felt much better/happier on shift as a result. That was almost 10 years ago and I still prep a lot of my meals (usually some type of meat, veggie +- a grain with some sauce) or just have the hospital deliver my meal. Their room service is available to us for free and pretty decent: steak, pizza, quesadilla, salmon, stir fry, etc.

I'm at a shop where our group sees 2.5-3.0 pph plus we see all of the Midlevel patients as well (usually another 1.5-2 pph) with an overall admit rate of 20-25%. So our pace and acuity is on the upper end of everything I see posted here and elsewhere. We all eat real food on shift and you should too.

I honestly cannot comprehend seeing a total of 4-6 pph (including overseeing midlevels) with an admit rate of 20-25% I don't know if I've just become a total wimp (i'm only about 3.5 yrs out of residency) or just have a really good job but there is absolutely no way in hell I would be able to do that.

Amen to that. Any job where you can't eat or deal with basic bodily functions on a regular basis is madness (short of extremes like active combat, being an astronaut deployed in a space pod, or someone defusing bombs, and the like).

But that's part of the hype and fabricated crisis they want you to buy into. "Constant crisis mode" equates to you grinding more money making widgets thought the factory, THE VAST MAJORITY OF WHOM CAN ABSOLUTELY WAIT 10 MIN for you to eat during an 8-12 he shift.

Eat during your shift for ----'s sake, people. Don't buy into false crisis mode. Once you fail to buy into the fabricated crisis, then all of a sudden you're not running with panic to see the "needs work note" patient, as if the underpinnings of Western Civilization depend on it, and you're not putting that extra 1% of cream cheese on the CEOs bonus bagel.

I guaran-f'ing-tee you the CEO who threatens your groups' contract over "door to greet" times, and not a single person in the hospital administrative department, ever goes a day in 10 years without a proper lunch during their work day. Not a single one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Amen to that. Any job where you can't eat or deal with basic bodily functions on a regular basis is madness (short of extremes like active combat, being an astronaut deployed in a space pod, or someone defusing bombs, and the like).

But that's part of the hype and fabricated crisis they want you to buy into. "Constant crisis mode" equates to you grinding more money making widgets thought the factory, THE VAST MAJORITY OF WHOM CAN ABSOLUTELY WAIT 10 MIN for you to eat during an 8-12 he shift.

Eat during your shift for ----'s sake, people. Don't buy into false crisis mode. Once you fail to buy into the fabricated crisis, then all of a sudden you're not running with panic to see the "needs work note" patient, as if the underpinnings of Western Civilization depend on it, and you're not putting that extra 1% of cream cheese on the CEOs bonus bagel.

I guaran-f'ing-tee you the CEO who threatens your groups' contract over "door to greet" times, and not a single person in the hospital administrative department, ever goes a day in 10 years without a proper lunch during their work day. Not a single one.

Totally agree with this.

I'm in IM, but there are an absurd number of residents and attendings who almost boast about being 'so busy that it was impossible to eat' etc which always struck me as ludicrous. Not eating, not peeing etc only leads to dramatically decreased efficiency - you will definitely slow down and stop thinking clearly as you start to feel like garbage. People that do this are shooting themselves in the foot and probably delivering worse patient care vs if they simply took care of their own needs at work.

Reactions: 5 users
Totally agree with this.

I'm in IM, but there are an absurd number of residents and attendings who almost boast about being 'so busy that it was impossible to eat' etc which always struck me as ludicrous. Not eating, not peeing etc only leads to dramatically decreased efficiency - you will definitely slow down and stop thinking clearly as you start to feel like garbage. People that do this are shooting themselves in the foot and probably delivering worse patient care vs if they simply took care of their own needs at work.
It's a bizarre self-torture culture we have in Medicine. It's the exact opposite of some other lines of work where people want to make their work day easier on themselves. But we brag about how much we can make our jobs suck more than they have to. It's crazy, the administrators know it's part of our culture, and they feed on it.

Reactions: 1 user

It's okay though, all doctors are allowed to leave for a mandatory 30 minutes at a time and yell at anyone who tries to ask them to do something during that time. Oh wait, wrong medical professional.
Absolutely horrible that physicians get treated like that. What's the point of going though 8+ years of higher education just to be treated the same way I was at my pre-medschool job.

Absolutely horrible that physicians get treated like that. What's the point of going though 8+ years of higher education just to be treated the same way I was at my pre-medschool job.
In residency, we had an attending that no matter how busy the ED was, would leave the ED every shift for thirty minutes to eat in the cafeteria (with a phone and reachable of course, in case of a true emergency, not a fabricated "metrics emergency"). We all mocked him as if he was some sort of freak of nature, that he actually took 30 minutes not to run around like a chicken with his head cut off, over the piles of completely non-emergent patients waiting. The guy was 60+ yrs old for God's sake, and had earned the right to a lunch break if anyone else ever had. I realized later, that the trick was being played on everyone else. He was the sane one.

Reactions: 5 users
They have these protein bars that are Kroger brand. Peanut butter and chocolate. 190 kcal, 10 g protein, 5 g fiber, mmmm. $2.50-3 per box of 5, the best.

Personally I think the bigger challenge is staying hydrated.

even these metrics get fudged now. many places have a provider in triage who says hi to the pt before their 3 hr wait in the waiting room. but hey, they've been seen within 5 min of arrival...even if there are no beds in back for folks with active chest pain or GI bleeds...and yes, most admin folks are worthless. I believe in the parking lot rule: record all license plate #s in the staff lot at 1 am m-f and at noon on saturdays and sundays for a month. anyone whose name doesn't make the list after a month is extraneous to the operation of the hospital and should be at the top of the layoff list when the hospital cries poverty q 2 yrs while the CEO takes home millions of dollars/yr.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the above posters - not eating during a shift is entirely a choice - not forced upon you. Guilty of this frequently, I have a lot of chart rack anxiety and cannot stand to see unpicked up patients or patients who could be dispo'd just waiting on me, so I do this a lot to myself, but yes absolutely, you should eat during a shift and take care of yourself. When I don't eat, I pay for it at the end of my shift for sure.

I agree with the above posters - not eating during a shift is entirely a choice - not forced upon you. Guilty of this frequently, I have a lot of chart rack anxiety and cannot stand to see unpicked up patients or patients who could be dispo'd just waiting on me, so I do this a lot to myself, but yes absolutely, you should eat during a shift and take care of yourself. When I don't eat, I pay for it at the end of my shift for sure.
"Chart rack anxiety" Does that qualify one for full disability payments?

In residency I pretty much never ingested more than my 20oz coffee and maybe a protein bar, saltines, peanut butter, graham crackers (which I haven't eaten since graduation) and the occasional ED Mimosa (ginger ale + orange juice). Nowadays I'm making a new person, so I've really had to step up my eating-on-shift game. Gorp, kefir (liquid yogurt with 12 probiotic cultures!), protein shakes (mm, muscle milk), leftovers from the night before, bananas. Thankfully our EMS lounge is also well stocked with cookies and fresh fruit, so I pilfer from there liberally. Also our cafeteria makes awesome egg sandwiches that it takes exactly 7 minutes to go and get.

Of course, JCAHO says no. So....

Personally I think the bigger challenge is staying hydrated.

This. I've tried so many tricks to make me "remember" to stay hydrated... all of which work for between 2 and 4 weeks before the stimulus is extinguished and no longer recognized as novel.

Usually don't except for maybe a protein bar or some sort of sweet someone brought in to share. Eat before going in and grab something after I'm done picking up if it's going to be awhile before I'm done charting and wrapping up. I buy into the intermittent fasting thing though so I don't worry about going 9 to 12 hours without a meal...

My default is 1 diet coke + 1 granola bar + my 1L bottle of water.

On slow days I go to the cafeteria and get salad or sushi. On slow nights I get fried [cheese, chicken or onions].

The best days are when I bring good leftovers from home and eat 'em in the break room where Love It Or List It seems to be on a 24 hour loop.

Protein bars.

Last edited:
My "lunch" bag looks like a 4th grader packed it: Uncrustable (low sugar) PB&J, peanut butter & cracker sandwiches, mini packs of mini gummy bears, a handful of Hershey's kisses, mini bags of Pirate's Booty, a cup o' Kraft Easy Mac, a cup of Campbells (low sodium) Soup at Hand Chicken & Stars. Of course, the bag is always pretty much packed and easy to grab. The adult part of me adds a Monster Rehab and my protein shake.

*It should be included that I'm a nocturnist and there's no cafeterias open. We do order some hoagies/send the tech on a Wawa run on occasion.

When I was a medic in philly in the early 90s I spent way too much money on shift at Wawa.

WaWa is starting to infiltrate the Tampa Bay area. I had my first WaWa sandwich the other day. Good stuff. Three and a half stars.

QUEST BARS... great protein and fiber, filling, and tasty. no wheat or dairy! (though there is some whey fiber if you're truly allergic rather than sensitive/intolerant like me)

frequently cites faves are cookie dough, cookies and cream, and white chocolate raspberry. the brownie ones are really good after 10-15 sec in the microwave.

i often live on those, diet coke and/or coffee, and apples. when i'm good and motivated i fix some raw veggies.

i have a lot of diet issues so i keep it pretty simple and can't do sandwiches, yogurt, beef jerky etc.