what to emphasize on LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The person who I've requested a letter from has not written a letter for a med school applicant before. I myself wasn't sure what to tell her when asked what should be emphasized in the letter? Can someone please help me. I guess pre-med advisors shoud know the answer right?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your pre-med advisor would be a good resource here. Basically the letter should say what a hardworking, bright, compassionate person you are and what made you stand out from the hordes of students your recommender has taught. Make sure that the person you ask will write this type of letter for you. You should waive your right to see the letter, but you want to make sure it's going to be a good one. If they can't say they're going to write you a good one, find someone else.

A good outline for writing LORs is:

1. how the recommender knows you (how long, in what capacity) and how they compare you to others they've worked with

2. two or three of your outstanding qualities, and a concrete example of each

3. how the recommender knows about your short- and long-term goals, and how realistic they think they are considering your abilities

Also take a look at the tips for writing LORs at http://www.accepted.com/medical/LettersRec.aspx

Good luck!