what to know for solids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoyjeff222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Solids in TBR are covered briefly ... do I need to actually memorize any of the equations, and if so, which ones? I never covered it in my regular classes and I don't feel super confident with the concepts yet (since I haven't had a lot of practice ...). Anyone have a resource to clearly explain the things I need to know about solids for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about solids. Technically, you need to know the modulus of elasticity and the concept of stress and strain. No equations required.

At the least know this: modulus = stress/strain
I never covered it in class either, but I still feel it's good to understand the equations.
For example, know that stress is similar to pressure, strain is a FRACTIONAL change in dimension, etc.
What kind of materials have a large modulus and what kind have a small one? How can you change the modulus of a material?
Also be familiar with the bulk modulus equation.
Even if you don't want to memorize the equations, practice them a bit by doing problems so a math question on test day is no bid deal; I say this because I personally could get confused with the fractions involved and all.

The more familiar you are with it now, the less daunting a potential passage will be.