What to look for....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowderHound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This goes out to the folks that have been there...what the heck do I look for in EM residency programs? I know it's ultimately about personal preference, but what are the qualities of a "good" program? I'm a MS3 getting ready to start looking at residencies and I'm clueless...

Members don't see this ad.

This goes out to the folks that have been there...what the heck do I look for in EM residency programs? I know it's ultimately about personal preference, but what are the qualities of a "good" program? I'm a MS3 getting ready to start looking at residencies and I'm clueless...

Look for "within 3 hours driving distance to powder." That will leave you UNM, Davis, Utah, U of Arizona, Denver (but 4 years) Las Vegas, and Maricopa. Now you're done. See, wasn't that easy?

Look for "within 3 hours driving distance to powder." That will leave you UNM, Davis, Utah, U of Arizona, Denver (but 4 years) Las Vegas, and Maricopa. Now you're done. See, wasn't that easy?

LOL!!! So true!

Members don't see this ad :)

You could add OHSU to that list

I think most will agree that 99%+ of the EM programs will train you more than adequate to practice anywhere. With that said, you should pick programs largely on where you think you will be happy. If your an All Star applicant you obviously end up with more 'say' in where you may end up and can seek the places where people like to live; regardless, put in at least a few off the beaten path programs as safe places...although some of those programs are really awesome in terms or staff and coolness of the residents!

Look around, most people say they end up ranking based on gastult or however you spell that word... (gut feeling)