What to Major In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paige13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently a junior in high school, so I've been spending a lot of time looking into colleges and different majors. I would like to become a vet and was wondering what would be the best major to prepare me for veterinary school? I'm really interested in genetics but I'm not sure if that major would prepare me for my graduate studies. Any advice would be amazing!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think being any sort of science major is beneficial because you will have a lot of exposure to those types of classes and then the prerequisites and the extra classes also count towards your major but I know there are people with all sorts of majors who just do the prerequisites separately and they still get in so I would do whatever you would enjoy and genetics seems totally fine and relevant (although my school didn't have that specific of a science major I was just a biology major so that's pretty cool!)

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you get the needed pre-requisite courses and you do well enough to get good grades to meet the admission criteria.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should major in something you enjoy, but of course cover your prereq bases. Major has no huge bearing on your acceptance, but there are a few schools who may add any extra science courses taken to your GPA. The most important thing is if you are not going into a pre professional, scientific major, make certain you find someone, whether they are faculty or not to advise you on the pre vet process! Make sure that you enjoy what you study, and that it motivates you to continue while balancing the challenges that may come with science prereqs. I chose a liberal arts major and upon retrospect, I'm not sure if I would do it again. I might have preferred straight science. I don't regret my choice but I found the balance tough and discouraging at times. Best of luck to you!

Hi! I'm currently a junior in high school, so I've been spending a lot of time looking into colleges and different majors. I would like to become a vet and was wondering what would be the best major to prepare me for veterinary school? I'm really interested in genetics but I'm not sure if that major would prepare me for my graduate studies. Any advice would be amazing!!!:)

Oops I just saw genetics. That is a fine choice!

I think it's also good to major in something that will give you more career options outside of vet med (if you don't get in, decide you want to want to go into a different field, etc.). As long as you enjoy what you're studying & can get all of your pre reqs, you should be just fine!

Reactions: 1 user

Political Science. Followed by a career into politics. Appears the be the career that pays the best these days, right behind CEO of large-ish company.

Personally, I majored in Theology, because my back-up career-changing plan is to become the U.S. Ambassador to some theocratic nation in the mid-east. (Really, I did major in Theology. The rest of it might not be true.)

Political Science. Followed by a career into politics. Appears the be the career that pays the best these days, right behind CEO of large-ish company.

Personally, I majored in Theology, because my back-up career-changing plan is to become the U.S. Ambassador to some theocratic nation in the mid-east. (Really, I did major in Theology. The rest of it might not be true.)

And here I always thought joining a monastery was your backup plan.

Another thing to consider is that doing a biology-ish major means your major requirements will line up pretty well with your prerequisites for vet school, so you might have more time to take random classes you want to take. A different major means you might have your schedule pretty packed, but that will also help you with time management and such, plus your non-bio major courses will probably be some stress relief, a talking point for applications, and it'll give you the chance to do something other than bio for a while, and once you get to vet school you'll be doing all bio all the time.

No... the best pay comes if you play a professional sport or become famous.

Are you extremely good looking? Are you over 6'7" tall? These are important questions.

No... the best pay comes if you play a professional sport or become famous.

Are you extremely good looking? Are you over 6'7" tall? These are important questions.

Mass Comm is supposedly really good too. I went to a small school that didn't have such a major so I was really intrigued when I met someone who was majoring in it. I asked what exactly is was that she studies, and her answer was:

"It teaches you to communicate. It's really important. People who graduate with mass comm degrees get hired as CEOs. We study that kind of stuff. Not the worker bee stuff"

Sounds like a great deal to me!

Mass Comm is supposedly really good too. I went to a small school that didn't have such a major so I was really intrigued when I met someone who was majoring in it. I asked what exactly is was that she studies, and her answer was:

"It teaches you to communicate. It's really important. People who graduate with mass comm degrees get hired as CEOs. We study that kind of stuff. Not the worker bee stuff"

Sounds like a great deal to me!

The irony is that in my experience (17 years in corporate America, most of that time for a 50k+ employee company)...... the higher up the ladder you went, the worse the employee's ability to communicate. Right on up to CEO.

The irony is that in my experience (17 years in corporate America, most of that time for a 50k+ employee company)...... the higher up the ladder you went, the worse the employee's ability to communicate. Right on up to CEO.

Haha, that's cause when you're high up in a bigger company, when you don't like something all you have to do is start looking all pissy and everyone around you gets nervous and gets **** done. And when you really don't like something, you just throw a tantrum.

When Workerbee throws a tantrum, they get fired. When executive throws a tantrum, someone else gets fired.