what to major in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohamed25x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i can't seem to really decide on a major and i know its not that big of a thing as long as i complete the pre-q's but at the same time i don't want to take all these sciences for nothing. Do i automatically have to do biology or chemistry as my major. Or should i do something else to show schools that I'm a "dynamic" person. I was thinking maybe majoring in bussiness will help me operate my own practice if i get to that down the road. Im just not sure and id appreciate any info.

Also pre-dent isn't really an option i need to declare something.

Members don't see this ad.

DON'T double major if it means you have to take more science classes. More science classes = more opportunity to 3.0 and 3.5 = lower science GPA. One science degree will be plenty to satisfy prereqs and get into dental school. No need to add a second major to the mix, especially when I don't think it really weighs that heavily to Adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't imply a double major in say, molecular biology and biochemistry. that would be redundant. i meant more like a biology major in conjunction with a social science or humanities major. get the best of both worlds.

That's true, but with two completely unrelated majors, it would mean the 2 courseworks wouldn't overlap at all and you would still end up taking a lot of "extra" classes that could still bog down your GPA. Probably be better to major in something like business and minor in something like science (or vice versa). Then you have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I am really glad what I chose a major in the sciences. I didn't do the traditional biology route but instead choose exercise science. It had a lot of physiology, biology, chemistry etc already so my prereqs were pretty much taken care of. It was a little less traditional so it helped me stand out. It was also a lot shorter than the equivalent of a bio degree at my university so I could take the classes that I want to/thought would be helpful in dental school during my last semesters after applying so there was less worry about the grade and more worry about learning material. It was also something I really was interested in (pretty much my second love next to dentistry as far as fields of study go).

I dental school and the DAT will probably be more pleasant with a strong science background. I am pretty sure that a lot of business will be common sense after all most of us are going to work as an associate for a little while after getting out and will hopefully learn some good business in that process.