what to pack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shareesh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well---2 more weeks till I leave sunny California and move to cold Boston to start the BU MAMS program. I was just wondering if any past students (or ones entering the program) can tell me what to pack. I’m sooo confused/frustrated. Some told me that they just took a suitcase filled with some clothes, linen, and a laptop because you have to do shopping there since it is crazy cold. Others told me they mailed some boxes filled with kitchen supplies, their wardrobe, and office supplies. Please help. I haven’t started packing at all. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking the same thing - room w/ a bed, desk, computer - can't think of much else. I'm debating on taking my TV - such a huge distraction. I'm taking clothes (don't have warm weather stuff - have to get a ton). If my place is big enough, I'm taking my bed, dresser, microwave, and maybe some kitchen stuff (if I have a kitchen). I can't think of much else - have a LOT of stuff to get rid of. If I live alone I may bring my drum set - good way to zone out when orgo is pushing my sanity. :)

Where are you living? I need to find a place to live (eek). My rent right now is 930, I get below that and close to campus and I'll be a happy camper.

I figure an empty apartment is much more condusive to studying - haven't decided how much of a life I'm going to have yet, but most guesses point towards none (during the school year).

Unless you have beloved furniture, I would save the shipping costs and pick up some cheap stuff off Craigslist - you can get pretty nice things at the end of the summer, when all the wealthy academics move on. In terms of clothing, you should also pack lightly and plan to buy several coats and pairs of boots when you move out here, because it gets wicked cold! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
jlr18 said:
Unless you have beloved furniture, I would save the shipping costs and pick up some cheap stuff off Craigslist - you can get pretty nice things at the end of the summer, when all the wealthy academics move on. In terms of clothing, you should also pack lightly and plan to buy several coats and pairs of boots when you move out here, because it gets wicked cold! ;)
I agree - I was going to drive up my bed & dresser only b/c they're really nice (memory foam mattress - priceless) :)

Other than that, cheapo desk and BOOKS. :)

shareesh said:
Well---2 more weeks till I leave sunny California and move to cold Boston to start the BU MAMS program. I was just wondering if any past students (or ones entering the program) can tell me what to pack. I’m sooo confused/frustrated. Some told me that they just took a suitcase filled with some clothes, linen, and a laptop because you have to do shopping there since it is crazy cold. Others told me they mailed some boxes filled with kitchen supplies, their wardrobe, and office supplies. Please help. I haven’t started packing at all. Thanks!

Yes, it gets wicked cold here, but you've got plenty of time. I grew up in New England, lived 2.5 years in Santa Barbara during high school, and then went to Boston U. for undergrad. I'm still in the area, hating the cold winters, rainy springs, and hot summers... there are short 2 week periods between seasons that are acceptable. ;) You've got at least a month to a month and a half before you'll be forced to give up shorts entirely (my younger brother never gave them up--he wore shorts all winter through middle school and high school in the White Mountains of NH and then went back to California for college). Bring whatever clothes you normally wear plus a couple outfits made up of what you would wear on a chilly night at home--that will get you through chilly September mornings and evenings. In late October and November the real cold gets started... although, depending on your physiology, you may think it's cold much sooner.

If you have a car, drive up to Nashua (Pheasant Lane Mall) or Salem (Mall at Rockingham Park), New Hampshire to go shopping for clothes--it's worth the gas money to hit the lower prices, IMO. It's not worth renting a car for the trip, though, and public transportation outside of Boston/Cambridge is practically non-existant.

At least you're missing the hot miserable summer this year, for the most part! Temps have cooled down over the past few days, but we've had several 100+ days with 90+ humidity! I would compare them with the Santa Anas in CA at their worst... but nothing around here catches on fire. ;)

Welcome to New England, the weather isn't really half as bad as it's made out to be!

--Cymy

haha-- i wish i had a car! :) i'm going to miss mine as i leave it in cali.

as far as an update--i'm still trying to find housing at boston--wow--i didn't think it was going to be this difficult. :( At first I was trying to find roommates that are in the program--but now i'm just trying to find housing close the bu med school.

as far as packing

baggage:
- 1 suitcase: clothes, scarves
- 1 suitcase: bath/body products/supplies, towels, laundry bag, some mementos, shoes, accessories, purse, hangers
- carry-on: lap top, basic school supplies (scissor, pens/pencils/highlighters, stapler/tape, paper/notebooks), basic kitchen supplies (plates, bowls, utensils), first aid
- big purse: makeup, camera, umbrella, wallet, documentations, boston map

mail:
- a box that has my linen, comforter, pillows
- a box that has mcat books (send it media mail)

shop when i get there: :thumbdown:
- warm clothes (coats, ugg boots, gloves)
- bedroom items (mattress, desk, desk light, waste basket, light stand)
- bathroom items (shower curtain, rug, etc)
- kitchen items (whatever that is not in the apt)
- living room items (whatever that is not in the apt)
- cleaning supplies (detergent, bathroom/kitchen stuff)
- and of course food :) yum!

good enough for boston? (ps i haven't actually packed--but i just outlined what am going to pack :) )

I'm thinking about the same, plus my laptop