What to provide LOR writers with

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on hopefully meeting with my LOR writers and discussing my motivation for medicine etc in person, giving them a general personal statement, and a CV/resume. I still however have a few questions about what I should provide them with.

1) Does the personal statement have to be the one I send in for my medical school application? Can the personal statement I provide them be one that is more to the point, answering the questions why I want to be a doctor, my motivations for pursuing the career, and experiences that shaped my decision?

2) Should I provide a copy of my transcript? I'm applying to Texas schools and I know they ask if you think the student is in the top 10%, 20%, etc of all applicants. Even though I got an A in their class, I kinda don't want them to see that I got a C in Ochem and automatically rank me as lower because of a couple not so good grades. In addition, I only have a 3.55 cGPA, which doesn't correlate with being at the top of their class.

Members don't see this ad.

I would share your personal statement (if it's in a more or less complete version) and a CV that includes your major and GPA on it (in addition to the other typical CV items). If the writer needs more info (e.g., a transcript), they'll let you know.