What to say at interviews when asked about other programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomname8888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you smoothly answer the question if a residency program asks what other programs you applied to and how you intend to rank? Are those questions even allowed? I was under the impression that they are not, but if they are still asked, what do you say?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's an interesting commentary on this very question in this week's issue of JAMA entitled, "Manipulation and the Match". The guy who wrote it was a med student member of the NRMP board before he had to go through the match himself.

FWIW, I figured I'd just tell them I was going to rank the programs proportionately to the size of the signing bonus they offered.... 2S4MS

How do you smoothly answer the question if a residency program asks what other programs you applied to and how you intend to rank? Are those questions even allowed? I was under the impression that they are not, but if they are still asked, what do you say?

Thanks!

Just answer the question. You will be asked this question everywhere. Not all of your interviewers will be asking this question out of malice.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really love the program I would say you are very interested in the program and that you are ranking others nearby because of (family, location preference etc) and you program will be seriously considered a first choice.

If you aren't that impressed but wouldn't mind getting a spot there than being unmatched then say I would be happy here and I'm looking at 5 other programs over the next month (or however more interview you have.)

If you really don't care for the program tell them exactly how many you plan to rank

Just my 2 cents

Having recently just finished interviewing for fellowship in gyn onc, I was asked the question at about every program I interviewed at. There's only 37 programs in the country, and pretty much everyone who's in academics knows each other. I'm pretty sure there's alot of talking that goes on.

Although residency has many many more programs, most program directors know each other ~ especially in the same area of the country. Trust me, they talk to each other. We'd hear from our PD that so and so called him saying that a particular candidate was planning to rank us number one. And everyone knows someone somewhere...

I think the easiest thing is to be honest. Obviously, I wouldn't say "I think your program sucks and I wouldn't come here in a million years," but I'd stick to the truth.