what to say in letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagonnia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

im waiting to hear from a bunch of schools so i wanted to write a letter of intent to my fave ones. what exactly should i mention and what shouldnt i mention? is there a good resource on this? someone let me know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't help you with the letter itself, but I believe you mean on writing a letter of interest as opposed to a letter of intent. A letter of intent should(ideally, morally, ethically, blahblah) be sent to only one school -- your top choice. A letter of interest is sent to many of your favorite schools, but doesn't explicitly state "If you accept me, I will definitely go to your school!" Just wanted to clear that up...though I'm not sure it matters :laugh:

Turkeyman said:
I can't help you with the letter itself, but I believe you mean on writing a letter of interest as opposed to a letter of intent. A letter of intent should(ideally, morally, ethically, blahblah) be sent to only one school -- your top choice. A letter of interest is sent to many of your favorite schools, but doesn't explicitly state "If you accept me, I will definitely go to your school!" Just wanted to clear that up...though I'm not sure it matters :laugh:
ahh yes thats what i meant... thanks for clarifying!

still looking for some help though ! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Turkeyman said:

I didn't know the difference between these two types of letter. I am waiting to hear from my two state schools. I like these two schools equally.

Do people usually send letter of intent after they have been put on waitlist or something? Or would it be alright to send it before that while I await a post-interview decision?

Ideally I would like to send letter of intent to both of these two schools...can't do that? :)

Thanks.
S.

It should look like this:

Dear Dean Snooty,
Thank you for keeping my file in your drawer for the past 3 months and not throwing it out. Please feel free to use it as reading material when taking a dump.
I would like to reiterate my interest in your school despite it's horrendous location, stinky facilities and incompetent faculty. I promise to be your b***h for as long as it takes me to get into my dream school.

Regards,
Desperado

mdforlife said:
It should look like this:

Dear Dean Snooty,
Thank you for keeping my file in your drawer for the past 3 months and not throwing it out. Please feel free to use it as reading material when taking a dump.
I would like to reiterate my interest in your school despite it's horrendous location, stinky facilities and incompetent faculty. I promise to be your b***h for as long as it takes me to get into my dream school.

Regards,
Desperado
you forgot:

p.s. Do you accept sexual favors?

letmein!please? said:
you forgot:

p.s. Do you accept sexual favors?

Also, be sure to include a photo of yourself in a compromising position.

That'll cinch things :thumbup:

....and maybe a P.P.S. saying:
Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!...you get the picture. :D

Jon Davis said:
....and maybe a P.P.S. saying:
Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!Let me in!...you get the picture. :D

haha. good.

i will try that.