What to wear for second look visit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghandoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am just wondering what ppl have been wearing for their second look visit?
Mine is coming up next week and I am at a loss as to what to wear?
Interveiw suit vrs business casual like I would wear to clinic?(i'm female)
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Business casual...just wear what you would normally wear in clinic/wards. I did 2 second looks and wore business casual. A suit would be over the top on rounds. Did not wear white coat either (was told not too by chief residents). My second looks were pretty informal and you pretty much just do what you want. I would encourage you to arrange to talk to pediatricians in the program and some residents one-on-one if you can to get more information.

Sounds good!
My white coat looks pretty beaten up anyway :)
Yeh...I hope to corner some residents and ask loads of questions.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to interupt, but what exactly is "buisness casual" which you wear when in clinic???
I'm an IMG doing a clinical elective soon, and while it's acceptable to show up in Denim pants and a t-shirt where I study, is it acceptable in the US?
Should I wear a shirt and dress pants, or what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance

NO jeans!

Wear a button down shirt (plus/minus tie if you're male) and khakis or black/grey/navy dress pants, something not made of denim. No tennis shoes/sneakers.

Business casual usually means some nice (not necessarily dress) pants like khakis and a polo shirt or nice buttoned-down shirt with no tie necessary. For a clinical elective, I would recommend wearing a shirt and tie and nice pants, either dress pants or nice khaki pants, like Dockers. I would say that denim pants and a t-shirt are not appropriate at all when in a clinical setting and seeing patients in the US, so I would not recommend them at all.

Hi guys.

Thank you so much for the answers.
I actually did a google search, and wikipedia had a nice description which said the exact same thing as you said.
I guess that dresscode is very different in different countries, but I really like the idea of dressing professionally when in clinic...
What about white coats? Do you usually wear those on electives?

Thanks again.

White coats, I've noticed, varies a lot by the program. At my school there is quite a white-coat presence, even on the residents. But a lot of places I interviewed at, pretty much no one (except Med-Peds) wore them.

I'd bring one just in case, I guess... wear it the first day and see what the atmosphere is like. And in case it's diffferent in Denmark, most students here wear the short (~hip length) white coat, not down to the knees.

Ok, I'll have to go out and buy a short white coat then.
Here in Denmark everybody wears the long coat, and many (especially students) put on the green scrubs that surgery residents usually wear, instead of wearing their own clothes...

Thank you for your help...