What to wear for summer research program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laragara

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker but I couldn't really find specific answers to a few questions.
Basically I'm doing a summer research program (like a SURP) and was working on getting together what I need to take care of before I go!

1) What do most people wear everyday in the lab for these programs? I work in a lab on my campus now and usually I wear just a college tee, some close toed shoes (tennis, flats, vans, etc.) and bring jeans to change into since it's really hot where I'm from and the walk is about 15 min. Is this usually good for more formal programs/what are other's experiences with daily dress code for SURP?

2) In addition, the info I got it says we need to bring business casual (for orientation day) and business formal (for the poster presentation). Can anyone tell me some good guidelines for each (female) and what the difference is between the two?? I've tried looking online but because I'm still pretty young/in college a lot of the styles don't really cater to my size/figure, so if anyone has any tips for how to reach these two styles while still having the face/body type of 6th grader it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, I worked some days in shorts and flip-flops. I lasted about a week in jeans, then threw on the shorts, and finished out the last week or so with the flip-flop ensemble.

Not recommended, but the point is that it is highly unlikely anybody in your lab will care what you wear.

I can't speak on your second question.

Reactions: 1 user
For female, business formal is considered a suit (look up what to wear for a medical school interview--that's business formal). Business casual is dress pants/blouses or other dressy tops.

Big enough malls will have dept. stores with sizes 0-2. I'm in a similar boat when it comes to finding things small enough to fit, and I've found it really difficult to find things of the appropriate size in second hand stores. I needed to spend a decent amount of money to build up my business casual wardrobe for a summer research program, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
For in the lab, dress professionally the first day (business casual) or however your program mandates and take your cue from the graduate students/post-docs in the lab. It will be highly dependent on what lab you're in.

Generally speaking, chemistry labs will not let you wear shorts to lab or open-toed shoes because of the safety hazards. It's too much of a liability (even if you see the post-docs doing it). The PI will not be happy if something happens because he or she is liable for whatever happens to you in the lab. But other than safety requirements, take your cue from the other people in the lab. If they wear t-shirts and jeans every day, go for it. If they wear business casual, you should try to go for that. You should try to fit into the culture of the lab as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Closed toed shoes and long pants. Dress business casual the first day, then look at what everyone else wears and adjust in the following days.
I'd just say no skirts or flip-flops especially on the first day.

Business casual: what you probably wore under your graduation gown in high school.
Business formal: what you'd wear to your friend's wedding (when you aren't the bridesmaid).

Hi, long time lurker but I couldn't really find specific answers to a few questions.
Basically I'm doing a summer research program (like a SURP) and was working on getting together what I need to take care of before I go!

1) What do most people wear everyday in the lab for these programs? I work in a lab on my campus now and usually I wear just a college tee, some close toed shoes (tennis, flats, vans, etc.) and bring jeans to change into since it's really hot where I'm from and the walk is about 15 min. Is this usually good for more formal programs/what are other's experiences with daily dress code for SURP?

2) In addition, the info I got it says we need to bring business casual (for orientation day) and business formal (for the poster presentation). Can anyone tell me some good guidelines for each (female) and what the difference is between the two?? I've tried looking online but because I'm still pretty young/in college a lot of the styles don't really cater to my size/figure, so if anyone has any tips for how to reach these two styles while still having the face/body type of 6th grader it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Business casual is nice shoes (not necessarily heels), suit shirt, and dark navy blue jeans.
Business formal is suit skirt, suit jacket, suit shirt, and heels.
Can't help much with the 6th grade body. Try looking into the junior department at department stores.

Like @Isoval I wore open toed shoes to lab. I was very close with my lab mentors and they also did this but typically wet labs have a close toed shoe policy, as for clothes wear whatever you want. When working with organisms or chemicals tie your hair back. If it's a chemistry lab they might force you to cover legs fully.

I had a summer kid roll up the first day in running short shorts and a white t shirt-he ran to the lab and never changed after. Just don't do that and you'll be fine

Agree with all above that you should just wear whatever the grad students and postdocs wear to lab everyday. If you're really worried--just ask one of them; whoever looks nicest.

For business casual/business professional check out the women's interview clothing threads for tons of ideas and places to go for all body shapes! Keep in mind that you definitely don't need to dress med school business professional (medical is much more formal than science in general) but it should give you a general idea for what you're looking for. If you're really stuck, you could even post in the thread--interview season is over so you'll likely get some response.

Depends on the lab. Generally whatever you want, closed toe shoes preferred.