what to wear to scientific conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

a suit. shirt & tie at the least

Nah. Unless you're one of the main presenting speakers, formal attire isn't really needed. If you're just hanging up a poster and standing by it, anything will do.

I've given many poster presentations in t-shirts and jeans, once even in flip-flops and board shorts (the conference was in Hawaii and the beach was calling).

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah. Unless you're one of the main presenting speakers, formal attire isn't really needed. If you're just hanging up a poster and standing by it, anything will do.

I've given many poster presentations in t-shirts and jeans, once even in flip-flops and shorts (conference was in Hawaii and the beach was calling).

Agreed - if you're just presenting a poster or lounging around, business casual is the norm. The only reason t-shirts & flip flops are no good is because you may be rubbing elbow with future employers (for post docs/presenting clinicians).

Slacks and a collared shirt (short or long sleeved depending on the weather) is good. If you're in a cold climate, an argyle or plain sweater may be called for.

This is academia, sir. No place for suits.

If you're just going as one of many people presenting their research (i.e. a conference with many displays/booths etc) then definately business casual at least (slacks/shirt), especially if you're unsure. If you are making a formalized presentation to a group of people at the conference, then maybe dress it up a bit, not necessarily to a suit though.

I've worn a shirt and tie with a blazer to the two conferences at which I've presented. Some people were in suits, but they were major speakers. Everyone else was pretty much dressed the same way I was or even a bit more casual. It isn't really that big of a deal.

I wore the suit in my avatar for all of my conferences* and it worked out great.

*except for like two of them where they said casual attire, then I wore jeans and a polo or something.

As Rpedigo is alluding to, it totally, completely depends on the conference that you are going to. Just call up the coordinators and ask them what attire is expected of participants.

As Rpedigo is alluding to, it totally, completely depends on the conference that you are going to. Just call up the coordinators and ask them what attire is expected of participants.

Or ask your PI what is normally expected of participants. Some fields are traditionally more casual than others-don't be "that guy" who wears flip flops and cargo shorts when everybody is sporting ties.

suit and tie. Dress the part.

The only reason t-shirts & flip flops are no good is because you may be rubbing elbow with future employers (for post docs/presenting clinicians)

Unless your future employer also happens to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops. I saw this at a SCCM meeting in Hawaii....it was probably the most casual conference I've ever seen. But, to the OP, when in doubt, wear a suit.

i went to the acs meeting this year and it seemed like suits were the norm. maybe it's just surgeons.

no question you should wear a suit. if for some strange reason you find yourself conspicuously overdressed, you can easily take off the jacket and/or tie to become casual in a flash!

i love dispensing fashion advice on SDN.

suit and tie is overdone.

Go khahkis and a blazer with a v-neck tee underneath, or a nice polo. Its 2008 btw.

Go khahkis and a blazer with a v-neck tee underneath, or a nice polo. Its 2008 btw.

yeah, you want to be sure to let those flowing locks of chest hair dance with every breath into the microphone.

a v-neck? wtf?

20061105-boratbathingsuit.jpg

yeah, you want to be sure to let those flowing locks of chest hair dance with every breath into the microphone.

In a lot of cultures men sport their mane of chest hair.