What to wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djzim23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So folks, I have scheduled a visit to LECOM-Erie within the next couple of weeks. I am going up to get a tour and to chat with the admissions people about my future. If this was an interview I would wear my interview suit and lucky tie (got me a job offer everytime so far lol) but I'm sure that is too dressy, yet I just wouldn't feel right about wearing jeans and a polo.

I'm thinking buisness casual: khakis, dress shirt, and probably a sweater b/c Erie is freaking cold (I know I went to undergrad up there). Let me know if you think this is too dressy or underdressed.

...and feel free to turn this into a What to wear for any events for everyone else in the non-trad group.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend a thong and a tight shirt that says "HUSTLER" in all caps...

No, in all seriousness, I'd say it depends on the nature of the chat you're having with the admissions officers. If it is just a passing conversation, I'd say go with the business casual. I would hesitate to break out the suit & lucky tie for anything other than a bona fide interview. Seems hard to go wrong with just khakis and a nice shirt.

I'm thinking buisness casual: khakis, dress shirt, and probably a sweater
This is perfect. It's not too dressy, and not too casual. Perfect blend of comfort and style (provoding you aren't wearing pastel colours) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL...I really want to wear an "I <3 MS1 Chicks" or "I'm like the MCAT...Long and Hard" t-shirt, but I just don't see that going over well.

But seriously good to know others agree with buisness casual. And no I wouldn't be rocking pastel until around Easter. Granted I know how to dress for the occassion, I just hate to half-a** when I could/should have done it right.

Kudos

I always try to make the best first impression possible. You never know how you will meet there. You never hear someone talk bad about someone dressed up... unless you are going to the beach.

Erie has a fairly conservative dress code, if I recall correctly. You probably want to dress at least as well as the day-to-day students, i.e. business attire including a tie if you are male. I wouldn't wear jeans/khakis. It's always been my policy whether job interviewing or med school interviewing to err on the side of over dressing. There's actually been one or two hippy-type tech firms where they clearly were unhappy with my coat and tie, but I doubt I would have been happy working there anyway.... best of luck and remember that a visit is essentially a mini-interview.

You could call the admissions office anonymously and ask their advice. That's probably what I would do. Dress codes vary a lot from place to place - I don't think the question would strike them as overly paranoid.

That said, I suspect you would not stick out as a student-type in business casual.

I'd skip the khakis and go with dressier pants (wool?) and a button-down shirt. Since you're gonna be wandering through an admissions office and LECOM has a dress code, you'll want to show the adcom that you resemble their students... at least, the better dressed ones. that's what i'd be thinking. i agree, though, that full interview gear would be a bit much.

I would wear smart business casual. Your interview suit might not be REQUIRED, so I would go slacks and sport coat if you have it. Not too formal, certainly not too casual. Err on the side of caution, which is biz casual I think.

Yesterday I had a meeting (not formal interview) with an ad com member at my local med school (for the same reasons as your trip) and I was advised by a successful med student that biz casual would be the way to go. And it was. Sport coat and slacks (in this case Brooks Brothers olive khaki pants) is what I wore. No tie. It worked out well.

Another piece of advice: you are there to get information from them, but remember, as a poster mentioned, you don't know WHO you will meet, so that day, impress everyone as you could be judged by anyone. Keep your wits about you whenever and wherever.

Good luck!!!!

D712

Figured I would update...
I wore chocolate borwn slacks, a blue/white striped oxford, and a blue v-neck sweater. I could have added a tie or opted for shirt and tie, but I felt I conveyed that I can dress appropriately and have a little bit of my own style (didn't want to come off as cookie cutter). It went really well and I learned a lot and got good answers to my questions.

...but i agree, definitely go on the dressy side rather than casual side.

Good choice. Non-trads need to show that they gained some actual wisdom in the extra years they've aquired. Showing that you put some thought into your wardrobe is one way to accomplish that.

So folks, I have scheduled a visit to LECOM-Erie within the next couple of weeks. I am going up to get a tour and to chat with the admissions people about my future. If this was an interview I would wear my interview suit and lucky tie (got me a job offer everytime so far lol) but I'm sure that is too dressy, yet I just wouldn't feel right about wearing jeans and a polo.

I'm thinking buisness casual: khakis, dress shirt, and probably a sweater b/c Erie is freaking cold (I know I went to undergrad up there). Let me know if you think this is too dressy or underdressed.

...and feel free to turn this into a What to wear for any events for everyone else in the non-trad group.

NO NO NO. Wear the suit. Their students where shirt and tie to class. Where the suit, a decent watch, be on time, and treat it like your first med school interview, since that is what it is. Even if you hate LECOM and have no intention of going there, this will prepare you for what the real deal will be like. Good luck!