What to wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exigente chica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think we all have what to wear during the formal interview down pat..but I am curious what you wear during the social outings and informal meetings?

Any advice from those who have allready interviewed?

Thanx:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to say "just be yourself." However, I think it's probably safer to go with a "smart casual" look. Sure, there will be students with t-shirts and sweats on, but they're already in. You don't want to look too stuffy, but some people (not all, just some) will not look favorably at someone who looks a shambles.

Most people don't care what you wear, but there are a few more conservative folks (students, that is) at almost every institution, and they're the one who're more likely to be vocal as well (my observation only).

P

Well, personally, it bugs me more when interviewees are overdressed for non-formal events. It comes off as anal and stuck up.
I don't know how you dress usually, but if you dress well, just go with standard everyday look.

Definitely no sweatpants, but that's cause no one should be wearing sweatpants outside of the gym anyway.
Jeans are definitely fine, a cool top or a sweater, the usual - most girls do a great job anyway. Just no elaborate blouses and/or suit pieces.

In the end, however, a place that doesn't take you because of what you wore is not a place you want to be at, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to suggest a suit or any such thing. Nor that programs wouldn't take you because you wore too nice a top. However, you can look too shlumpy for some. That's all I'm saying - don't look like a slob. I've seen it and it does garner comments. The overdressed person may bug you, but they stick in the mind less than does a VERY underdressed person.

As usual, I'm not saying whether this is right or wrong, just what I've observed (seems many interpret observations as normative statements, at least when I make them ;) ).

P

Are there any places i would need to bring a suit on revisits for meetings with faculty? Or should i just prepare to dress like a graduate student

Originally posted by looseygoosey
Are there any places i would need to bring a suit on revisits for meetings with faculty? Or should i just prepare to dress like a graduate student

Shirt and slacks at the very most. No ties or suits.
Unless there's a reception or something (UTSW).

You're in. What are they going to do? Kick you out because you're not wearing a tie? :D

Thank you guys, appreciate the feedback:clap:

EC-
For the little non-formal outings, I always wore jeans or khakis with a sweater. Even if we were going out to a bar, I NEVER wore the sort of clothes I would wear to normally go out. Nothing too crazy-but still be yourself. I would always wear my fave sweater and jeans because just being in those clothes make me feel comfy and confident.

I think all of the advice here sounds pretty solid. But I would suggest-get yourself a funky little hat or scarf if that is your thing-people will remember the "cool chick in the hat-what was her name, oh yeah, exigente chica, yeah we want her in the program!"

Good Luck!

Originally posted by isidella
EC-
For the little non-formal outings, I always wore jeans or khakis with a sweater. Even if we were going out to a bar, I NEVER wore the sort of clothes I would wear to normally go out. Nothing too crazy-but still be yourself. I would always wear my fave sweater and jeans because just being in those clothes make me feel comfy and confident.

I think all of the advice here sounds pretty solid. But I would suggest-get yourself a funky little hat or scarf if that is your thing-people will remember the "cool chick in the hat-what was her name, oh yeah, exigente chica, yeah we want her in the program!"

Good Luck!

Thanx Isd!!!:clap: I miss you girl, I pm'd you..k

Any other advice from a female point of view..not that the mens' aren't great..thanx boys..just wondering whether or not to wear dresses or skirts or just nice pants and top or jeans?

Thanx bunches:horns:

Well,

I am not MSTP, but I am a grad student in medicine. When we have recruits in, student-based events are casual, so I would wear whatever your style is, i.e. jeans/sweater, or cute top and pants. I think that for interviews with PIs, dress nice but definitely not a suit. These people are for the most part not fashion conscious, and you would feel really odd touring a lab in heels (at least here).

I guess that if the current students have any say in the process, it is not a good idea to be a slob ("is this person serious?") or too overdressed ("eek they just don't feel like they would fit in.").

Another word of caution regarding casual student-based events. Don't overdrink or flirt too much with current students. If you end up going there, you will start off with a reputation that will be hard to shake.

(Not to imply any SDNer would be like that :) )

My 2 cents.

Treg

Originally posted by Treg
Well,

I think that for interviews with PIs, dress nice but definitely not a suit. These people are for the most part not fashion conscious, and you would feel really odd touring a lab in heels (at least here).

or too overdressed ("eek they just don't feel like they would fit in.").

Another word of caution regarding casual student-based events. Don't overdrink or flirt too much with current students. If you end up going there, you will start off with a reputation that will be hard to shake.

Treg

Hey Treg,
Thank you for responding...I am confused about the whole "don't wear a suit part" I was under the impression that one should dress professionaly? I am aware that PI's have a very laid back wardrobe, but for interviews I don't see how jeans and shirt would be appropriate?:confused:

So, if you saw a interviewee in a suit, you would feel that he/she was overdressed and not a good fit for the program? On that note, do student host have any say in admissions?

Perhaps, you are reffering to the students that you have seen during interviews? Was there not one interviewee doning a suit? Hmm? I am not doubting you, just very curious?

Do you mind telling me what school you attend?
Thanx,

Exigente

Hi,

To clarify, our program is not MSTP. I am in Canada, but I am American and did my undergrad in the states. Mine is purely a grad student perspective. That being said, I would say that during my grad school recruitment visits and during the recruitment visits of prospective students that have occured since my arrival, interviews with PIs are about research. They will inundate you with information about their research and discuss potential projects in their labs. Then, they will take you on a brief tour and perhaps introduce you to some students. I have never seen anyone in a suit. Mostly, people dress nicely, i.e. dress pants and a nice shirt (ties are rare for guys).

In my opinion I don't think that PIs care what you wear, and in some cases will not notice either way (unless you were a complete slob or in a prom dress or something :D ). For student-hosted events, even if PIs are there, I would still say that it is casual. At my school, students have a say on every committee, including recruitment and admissions. Thus, if anyone appeared really unstable or a bad fit (and clothing would not define either of these), they could receive a thumbs down from the student rep on that committee, on behalf of the students. However, if someone wore a suit or something to a potluck at a students house, let's say, they might feel really uncomfortable. This could result in them being introverted and giving a bad impression. Does that make sense?

So, I guess what I am trying to say is, if your interview is related to admissions, then by all means wear a suit. But if you are interviewing prospective supervisors, it is most likely a bit more relaxed. Events targeted at meeting current students are designed to be casual and fun, so dress should be likewise.

I hope that helps! Also, I could be way off base compared to MSTP. Perhaps someone who is a few years in and has experienced both sides could provide some insight.

Good luck!

Treg:)

My thoughts:

If it is a situation where the students are taking you out the night before or the night following the interviews, dress casually but "nicely" - sweater or collared shirt or something like that.

Personally, I have worn my suit to interview with PIs in the past. I did when I went for a summer research position at NIH. It does feel weird to be dressed formally in a lab, but I see it as a gesture of respect, not of pretension. You want to convey the seriousness of your interest. Still, I don't think it a good idea to wear a tuxedo to the continental breakfast. :laugh:

When I interviewed at Columbia (my first thus far-I'm really late), all the interviews were the same day, so i wore my suit at all of them. I did change into a sweater and khakis for the student-run dinner. I'm interviewing at Northwestern the week after next, and they split up the phd and md interviews on different days. For the research faculty interviews they recommend "business casual" (a term i've never really understood) and "business" for the md interviews. WashU seems to follow a similar format also.

So, I guess if you can master "business casual," you can go far.:cool: Hope this helps...

I did a bunch of MSTP interviews last year and this year I'm heavily involved with hosting applicants - just so there is no confusion:

There is no real alternative to suit (the coat may be optional, but otherwise no) during the day(s) of the formal interviews. While many schools will have you meet with research faculty of your choice informally as a part of the visit, in reality, those also tend to happen on the days you have your actual interviews, so the technicalities of changing back and forth usually dictate that everyone is just wearing their suits during the day.
The exception to this would be any informal interviews during your second look weekend, once you're already in.

What I was referring to earlier was the fact that it looks bad when you go to the student dinner at night, or out for a drink or whereever the students are taking you (we take people to a dinner and then, depending on how late it is, etc., to some more relaxing place), you're still wearing a full suit.
Now this has happened, but it has ususally been accompanied by the students bitching about not having time to change, and that's fine. People who are overall anal usually stick out no matter what they wear (having said that, don't wear a bowtie to your interviews, people, as some have....)

As far as the students having a say in admissions, it differs heavily from school to school. I promise at Yale, we don't.
There are schools that actually have a formal interview with a student (MD at Yale, sometimes), and then that matters, but under no circumstances are these the same students that take you out and hang out with you. The idea, at most schools, is that the student events should truly be a forum where you can be yourself and relax and say and ask about how it really is - without a fear of negative consequences. Now, I can also tell you that we are all very close with our administrators/directors, so if someone does something ridiculous, we would tell them.
There was a school where my student host admitted to me, after I was accepted, that her director invited her for a talk after having hosted me, and asked her what she thought about me. This is very rare, and I guarantee it doesn't happen at many schools, definitely not at Yale.
However, beeing unusually cool will certainly get you some unofficial brownie points.

Thanx everyone this really does help..but one more thing...what is considered "buisness casual"?

:hardy:

Originally posted by exigente chica
but one more thing...what is considered "buisness casual"?

:hardy:

LMAO:laugh:

I'd say for girls, business casual would probably be a nice sweater and slacks or skirt. I think khakis are generally a business casual staple. In between a formal suit and jeans should be okay. There are some suggestions at this website: http://www.businesscasualdress.com/illustrations.htm, although they're probably not the trendiest of suggestions... :D