What to write in CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifetime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My doc wants a CV and PS before he writes me an LOR. However I have nothing relevant to add. Under the education section I'll write my med school, undergrad degree and highschool. I had a couple of summer jobs at a warehouse and amusement park, should i add that? I honestly don't have any research/pubs/presentations/volunteer experience to add. So how should I make this CV? Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My doc wants a CV and PS before he writes me an LOR. However I have nothing relevant to add. Under the education section I'll write my med school, undergrad degree and highschool. I had a couple of summer jobs at a warehouse and amusement park, should i add that? I honestly don't have any research/pubs/presentations/volunteer experience to add. So how should I make this CV? Please and thank you.

You could list any professional (or pre-professional) organizations such as AMSA or AMWA (if you're female). You could list any type of specialty-specific student-interest group (even if it's not the specialty you eventually decided to pursue). You could list any type of community or medical school activity such as giving tours to medical school applicants or during a Parents' Weekend event. I've seen CVs that included things like participating in a 5K "fun run" in support of a charitable cause--which ordinarily is padding to be avoided, but in this case would give the letter writer something to include in the letter to help you stand out in a positive way.

[soapbox]
This request, which I hear all of the time, drives me crazy. Your LOR writer should write about their experience with you. They should not rehash your CV, nor should the content of your PS have any bearing on your letter.
[/soapbox]

That said, give them your basic CV and PS. Don't fight city hall over this.