What Type of Leadership Experience Do You Have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fzwarrior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to think of a good way to get some leadership experience before applying to med school next year. What type of things have you done to show leadership?

Members don't see this ad.

TAing
sorority leadership position
training people at work

with a little creativity you make just about anything sound like leadership even if you are president of the pre-meds

Volunteered to help train new employees and run in-services at work.
Started and ran a business.
Leadership position in a community organization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal trainer
Team leader at job
group tutor

Intramural basketball team captain
Heading workshops on taking care of various lifestyle diseases like asthma, diabetes, etc.

I wasn't really looking for "leadership", I just liked doing those ECs and I hope adcoms notice that. If they do I'm sure it would go further than me being an officer in a club I don't want to be in for the resume.

Founder of college's model un team
president of college's model un team freshman and sophomore years (ran things single handedly sophomore year)
senior member of college's model un team junior year (I'm studying abroad, so I can't be an officer, but still available for certain votes/logistical discussions via email)

TA sophomore year
writing and French tutor sophomore year

One or two more informal things I'm not currently remembering.

Unfortuantely, there's sort of a gap for my junior year from study abroad, because visiting international students don't tend to get leadership positions in established clubs/college activities. But hopefully whoever reads my app will be smart enough to realize that the one year hiatus from my usual clubs and tutoring job corresponds with my year abroad...

Secretary of sga, senator on sga 3 years, founder and vp of another student org, certified student leader, chair of relay for life committee two yrs in a row... There's more but I'm forgetting.

I've trained a few people at work and I'm generally in charge of my own area on the weekends. I'm applying for a new job as a college tutor, so maybe that's leadership?

This was one of my areas of concern. I hate "leadership" positions in school clubs that don't mean **** and are results of popularity contests.

I like leading, but my only leadership experience is being a shift lead at my job at movie theater. I like to play it up as a lesson in real life work experience and teamwork to accomplish a common goal.

I've done the following

Tutoring
TA
CEO/President/Founder (2 businesses)
Vice President/Founder (1 business)
2 club offices
3 school committees (including one chair position)
10 committees of two international professional organizations (1 was as a chair, 5 of them counted as elected offices)
1 chair of a conference session (which is the easiest thing to do if you need stuff fast)
Parenthood (1)/Stepparenthood (3)

I have two other things but I think they are hit or miss over if they are really considered leadership or not.

TA, tutor, mentorship program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess this wouldn't be my only leadership, but this semester I am getting the opportunity to teach a Spanish Conversation class at my school. It starts this week and I am really really excited/nervous about it.

Shift lead at several jobs
Undermanager (lead) in lab -- hired, supervised, trained, administrative, etc.
Trained student leaders (orientation)
Case mgmt/administrative
Multiple leadership teams at church
Planning a medical missions trip (from the ground up)

The value of leadership has far more to do w/ what you did (quality) than how many you held (quantity)

Managed the reintegration of medically evaculated patients for DHHS for Hurricane Gustav, 08-09.

Currently a supervisor for one of the largest 911/ air medical dispatch centers in our region.

Who thought it was a good idea for every premed to post about their leadership experience? :confused:

Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, commanding officer, marine ground forces, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Reactions: 1 users
Intramural basketball team captain
Heading workshops on taking care of various lifestyle diseases like asthma, diabetes, etc.

I wasn't really looking for "leadership", I just liked doing those ECs and I hope adcoms notice that. If they do I'm sure it would go further than me being an officer in a club I don't want to be in for the resume.

OP, asking people to list their leadership experiences is silly. All you're going to find are lists of people assuming leadership in areas that interested them (whether that's in sports, academia, community service, frat/sorority stuff, etc.). There must be something you're passionate about and interested in that you feel deeply enough to devote more time and energy into than the average member.

Don't seek leadership positions to impress some AdCom...they aren't looking for one certain position over another.

OP: Is there something you're involved in that you love? Do you tutor children in math and reading? Volunteer at a Homeless shelter? Play a sport? Rally at your school for a better grading system? Encourage other students to donate blood/time/money?

If you are doing anything you love, it's more than likely you've done something in leadership there. No? You really think so?

Example one: Volunteer at a homeless shelter.
Common duties: working the kitchen, taking care of check-in, cleaning, etc.
Leadership activities: Suggesting another source for healthy meals. Arranging a fundraiser. Recruiting new volunteers. Training new volunteers. Petitioning local government for more attention. Writing an article for the local newspaper about the need for funding.

Example two: Play a sport.
Common Duties: Report for practice, travel to games, recruit new players, etc.
Leadership activities: Become the team's captain. Act as a liaison with other athletic groups/classes. Create an outreach program for middle and high school kids. Make a carpool arrangement for team members. Arrange to give away tickets to your game to lucky fans. Arrange a ticket raffle for charity. Give one-on-one attention to new players. Lecture team (and perhaps other teams) on the prevention of sports-related injuries.

Example three: Encourage other students to donate blood.
Common duties: Spread word of upcoming blood drives, distribute literature, etc.
Leadership activities: Arrange a blood drive. Make a demonstration of how many people need blood vs how much is donated. Talk to student government about working together (create an alliance). Arrange 'interest sessions' with Q&A. Work with local Red Cross to arrange quarterly blood drives with your school. Talk with individual classes re: donations.

There are any number of leadership activities in your everyday life. When you think about it, you've probably got more than you can list on your application. My list is pretty okay, and I've still got another year or so before I apply. I clear up misconceptions regarding blood donation, arranged a free self-defense class for international students, tutored ESOL students, work as an RA, arranged a haunted house for charity, worked as a camp counselor for middle school learners of English, and hold leadership positions in two student groups. I've also arranged study groups/sessions, petitioned for fair grading (mind you, that was in Japan, so it's a legitimate problem - teachers WILL give you bad grades if they don't like you and they WILL give the top grades to the students they like the best), and I've convinced my school to give out condoms instead of selling them in the bathroom.

My own list isn't as good as I want it to be, but it's dedication that matters: quality over quantity. I've been recruiting blood donors for two years. I've tutored ESOL for four. The RA position should span two years, and the free self-defense class is annual.

So think about it, fzwarrior. What have you done? What do you love? What do you go above and beyond in? There is definitely something there. You'll figure it out. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am became a supervisor at my job to have leadership position. I also help the instructors of where I volunteer and teach people there too.

OP: Is there something you're involved in that you love? Do you tutor children in math and reading? Volunteer at a Homeless shelter? Play a sport? Rally at your school for a better grading system? Encourage other students to donate blood/time/money?

If you are doing anything you love, it's more than likely you've done something in leadership there. No? You really think so?

Example one: Volunteer at a homeless shelter.
Common duties: working the kitchen, taking care of check-in, cleaning, etc.
Leadership activities: Suggesting another source for healthy meals. Arranging a fundraiser. Recruiting new volunteers. Training new volunteers. Petitioning local government for more attention. Writing an article for the local newspaper about the need for funding.

Example two: Play a sport.
Common Duties: Report for practice, travel to games, recruit new players, etc.
Leadership activities: Become the team's captain. Act as a liaison with other athletic groups/classes. Create an outreach program for middle and high school kids. Make a carpool arrangement for team members. Arrange to give away tickets to your game to lucky fans. Arrange a ticket raffle for charity. Give one-on-one attention to new players. Lecture team (and perhaps other teams) on the prevention of sports-related injuries.

Example three: Encourage other students to donate blood.
Common duties: Spread word of upcoming blood drives, distribute literature, etc.
Leadership activities: Arrange a blood drive. Make a demonstration of how many people need blood vs how much is donated. Talk to student government about working together (create an alliance). Arrange 'interest sessions' with Q&A. Work with local Red Cross to arrange quarterly blood drives with your school. Talk with individual classes re: donations.

There are any number of leadership activities in your everyday life. When you think about it, you've probably got more than you can list on your application. My list is pretty okay, and I've still got another year or so before I apply. I clear up misconceptions regarding blood donation, arranged a free self-defense class for international students, tutored ESOL students, work as an RA, arranged a haunted house for charity, worked as a camp counselor for middle school learners of English, and hold leadership positions in two student groups. I've also arranged study groups/sessions, petitioned for fair grading (mind you, that was in Japan, so it's a legitimate problem - teachers WILL give you bad grades if they don't like you and they WILL give the top grades to the students they like the best), and I've convinced my school to give out condoms instead of selling them in the bathroom.

My own list isn't as good as I want it to be, but it's dedication that matters: quality over quantity. I've been recruiting blood donors for two years. I've tutored ESOL for four. The RA position should span two years, and the free self-defense class is annual.

So think about it, fzwarrior. What have you done? What do you love? What do you go above and beyond in? There is definitely something there. You'll figure it out. Good luck!

I'm also an ESOL tutor and according to the forum it's "teaching" not leadership. Whatever......

I'm also an ESOL tutor and according to the forum it's "teaching" not leadership. Whatever......

I figure that when you are the one arranging the tutoring schedule for yourself and two other tutors, it's probably leadership. *shrugs* Even if it isn't, no big deal.

Become a father.
I was going to ask if parenthood counted as leadership! By the time I apply in 2 years I will have been a parent for 12 years and a parent of 4 children for 5 years!

Reactions: 1 user