What type of program formats did you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What type of programs did you apply to?

• 1-3 only

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • 1-4 only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-4 only

• 1-3 and 1-4

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • 1-4 and 2-4

• 1-3 and 2-4

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • All of them (1-3, 1-4, and 2-4)

Votes: 23 46.0%

• Total voters

Hercules

Son of Zeus
Reaction score
Since I know all of you MS-4's have nothing to do but read SDN :laugh: I thought I'd ask for some of your time here to vote on this poll. I'm trying to collect this information to get an idea of what % of applicants apply to the different 1-3, 1-4, 2-4 formats. Feel free to vote on here if you're already in residency or out in practice, too. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - Dr. Roe mentioned UAB was going to the 1-4 format for '06-'07 match. Glad to see it - I think it will give the program a big boost!
MJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone really consider DC the south anyway?

colforbinMD said:
Does anyone really consider DC the south anyway?

Isn't it essentially ON the Mason-Dixon line?

I mean, it's not terribly Southern in lifestyle, etc., but what criteria are we using here?

socuteMD said:
Isn't it essentially ON the Mason-Dixon line?

I mean, it's not terribly Southern in lifestyle, etc., but what criteria are we using here?
Lifestyle/culture. Makes more sense to me then going back to Civil War days/geography.

http://saem.org/rescat/pgy1-4.htm

LSU-NO is the only 1-4, 2-4s include Ole Miss, Portsmouth Virginia (the naval one), and GW (debate away).

IMO I dont see the real value in a 2-4. I personally dont care if it is a 3 or a 4 yr but to be honest 2-4 annoys me.. I applied to them all by the way.

Hercules said:
Since I know all of you MS-4's have nothing to do but read SDN :laugh: I thought I'd ask for some of your time here to vote on this poll. I'm trying to collect this information to get an idea of what % of applicants apply to the different 1-3, 1-4, 2-4 formats. Feel free to vote on here if you're already in residency or out in practice, too. Thanks!

I actually ended up applying to all of them. I did rotations at two 3 year programs, and of course UAB, so the only type of place I didnt' get a feel for is the 1-4. For me, the years do not really matter as much as the feel/program itself.

What is the point of a 2-4 program anyway? If it's academic, why not just make it 1-4? If it's not academic, then 1-3 is sufficient.

Not here to argue about merits of the different formats, just collecting info. Ok, so far 60% of you applied to 2-4 programs. I find this surprising and expected this number to be much lower especially after my experiences on the trail last year. It seemed like tons of people I spoke with didn't apply to any 2-4's.

Hercules said:
Not here to argue about merits of the different formats, just collecting info. Ok, so far 60% of you applied to 2-4 programs. I find this surprising and expected this number to be much lower especially after my experiences on the trail last year. It seemed like tons of people I spoke with didn't apply to any 2-4's.

I just thought there were a couple of great programs that I couldn't NOT apply to and that happened to be 2-4. For me, those were BMC and Cook. I don't mind the idea of doing a prelim/TY, and I really liked those programs.

Hercules said:

I didn't apply to any 2-4 programs. I knew I'd miss out on some really good programs, like BMC, etc. and it is unfortunately, but in the end this was acceptable to me personally. I didn't want to do a prelim/transitional and there are clearly many great straight 3 and 4 programs to apply to.

Hercules said:
In many ways the better Q is where did people interview. I have a lot of friends who applied to all programs and then after 1-2 interviews at 1-3s' people started to realize that they didnt want to do 4 yrs or they realized what a pain TY and Prelims are..

EctopicFetus said:
In many ways the better Q is where did people interview. I have a lot of friends who applied to all programs and then after 1-2 interviews at 1-3s' people started to realize that they didnt want to do 4 yrs or they realized what a pain TY and Prelims are..

That is definitely the better question and I was already planning on putting a poll up on that later on.

There is a move afoot to add an EM internship to UAB, which I really feel would add to our experience as residents while boosting interest in the program as a whole. I do recall how the extra 3-4 TY interviews ended up being somewhat a drag, especially when that time/$ could be better spent interviewing at 3-4 more EM programs.

Having stated that, I did apply to all 3 types, have no regrets, and think I made the perfect decision for me.

B :)

My wife works the 4-12PM shift at the school library once a week and sometime around July after a slow night she came home with the SAEM residency profiles of all the 1-3 programs for me to peruse. It was a not very subtle hint on her preference.