What type of reaction most commonly creates polymers from macromolecules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fish419

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of reaction most commonly creates polymers from macromolecules?

A. Peptide bond formation

B. Dehydration synthesis

C. Disulfide bridge formation

D. Hydrolysis

I know this question should be simple, but I cannot help to be obsessed with the word "macromolecules". It makes sense to me if it asked"dehydration synthesis" is most common creates polymers from monomers/micromolecules" Also, I found online that "Monomers are considered a micromolecule that can be linked together to form polymer (which is a macromolecule)"

So I was originally thinking about C (disulfide bridge). Any thoughts to correct me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One way to look at this, is to consider most macro-molecules to be either proteins (building block of phenotype) or even Carbohydrates. So, the bonds you need to focus on are "peptide bonds" and "Glycosidic linkage" both are which are broken by using water and synthesized by releasing water.

In order to form a peptide both, OH-C=O (C terminal side of aa) react with NH3 (N therminus) to form a peptide bond ( O=C-NH) + H2O. So, the carboxy groups loses it;s OH while the NH3 group loses two Hs.

Same for Sugars, you have the RO-C-OH (anomeric carbon is in hemi-acetal form) reacting with an OH to form a acetal Glycosidic linkage ( OR-C-OR) + H2O.

Here, disulfide bridge isnt the right AC, because it's an "intermolecular interaction" as a matter of fact the only covalent intermolecular interaction; Thus only partake in stabilizing molecules into a tertiary or quartenary state whereas the question is referring the primary structure. Maybe at @aldol16 has something else to add..

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that the wording is misleading. Polymers are created from monomers, which are usually small molecules and not macromolecules. As written, I could see how disulfide bond formation could be the only reasonable answer choice, as disulfide bridges are often use to link multiple subunits of proteins together (multiple macromolecules). But if the question is getting at polymers from monomers, then dehydration synthesis is probably the best choice.

Reactions: 1 users