What type of research are you guys doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-medUSF

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing research in spinal surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

I am researching the age old question of "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"

The results have been thus far -- delicious. :D

pre-medUSF said:
I'm currently doing research in spinal surgery.

Neuroscience research...primarily focused on the hippocampus and learning and memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
lropp said:
Neuroscience research...primarily focused on the hippocampus and learning and memory.

That's awesome. I would love to get into some type of neuro research. I've seen some cool things in spinal surgery, but i'm not really that interested in orthopedics.

What school do you go to?

RayhanS1282 said:
I am researching the age old question of "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"

The results have been thus far -- delicious. :D

Rayhan, I believe I beat you to it. It takes 500 licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop, if I can recall. You see, I attempted this experiment as a young, curious child. I just had to know :)

but that was in 2nd or 3rd grade. I'm not currently doing any research because I live in a dead end town with no opportunites. I envy your spinal surgery and neuroscience research! :)

C said:
That's awesome. I would love to get into some type of neuro research. I've seen some cool things in spinal surgery, but i'm not really that interested in orthopedics.

What school do you go to?

pre-medUSF, are you over at Shriners Hospital?

I just finished my work on a four year project studying the long-term effects of zero-gravity on the lung. I analyzed data from astronauts on the International Space Station - fun stuff! :D

I do research at UF in 2 labs. One lab entails the function and characterization of mitochondrial ribosomes, and the other focuses on the neuronal substrates that mediate the depressive-like effects of drug withdrawal.

Multilocularis said:
pre-medUSF, are you over at Shriners Hospital?

Shriner's Hospital is on the USF campus but I do not do work there. I'm not really interested in pediatrics. Are you? How do you know about Shriner's? What school do you go to? My research in spinal surgrery is through Florida Orthopedic Institute. I also work in a nursing home.

I'm studying osteoarthritis in non-human primates' kness and hands using micro-CT and micro-MRI....

Jim

you are all doing such fun things.

Being a chem major, I am currently doing illicit drug research using ims and hplc-fid. I am finding the sensitivity of ion scans to certain drugs..boring. i will get a paper out of it and i get to play with illegal drugs all day. so thats fun.

I'm currently working on three projects all of which involve health economics, cost-benefit, and improving patient care.

Fluid resuscitation research....lots of Anesthesia

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops, forgot to hit "quote in reply" D'oh.

Learning and memory research, specifically with the hippocampus. We do behavioral and functional MRI studies.

lropp said:

Ditto that ****. Yay Neuro :p

Finished up a thesis in June about syndecan mechanotransduction, where I made a surface that adhered only to syndecans. Hopefully that will be part of a paper this fall.

Currently in a hearing regeneration lab looking at how chickens regenerate their hair cells and expression of Myosin VI and VIIa during that process. I've got a paper being submitted later next month whenever I finish up this last bit of analysis. Stupid DVD-ROM is being a POS right now and wont transfer my data to my lappy...so I can process it.

I was a chem major, so you can definately branch out of straight chem to other cool stuff in biochem or molecular/cell bio

I'm the PI on a regenerative medicine project.

Basic Science Research

Did 4 years at UC Berkeley working on Yeast Topoisomerase II. Our PI figured out the structure some years back and I was working on the biochemical analysis of a linker that connected the A' and B' regions of the enzyme. It was fun because it was an X-ray crystallography structure lab (the structure of Rho was discovered here!). :p

Now I'm doing research on the Superfund project...specifically on studies related to the mechanisms of how different environmental contaminants found in the Hudson River interact with xenobiotic sensing nuclear receptors expressed in the gut and liver. We're trying to see how the activation of certain receptors can alter the metabolism of endogenous substrates and result in the accumulation of toxic metabolic intermediates as well. It ties in well with drug interactions and whatnot...

i just finished up two weeks ago.. 2 month summer research program.. i did research on how embryonic stem cells migrate towards the dentate gyrus (in the hippocampus) in response to a particular protein. it was actually fun.. and now i don't know if i want to do a ph.d, m.d, or both... :confused:

I am doing research on conopeptides - I just started a few months ago. Hopefully, I will make some sort of discovery.

saffronrain said:
i just finished up two weeks ago.. 2 month summer research program.. i did research on how embryonic stem cells migrate towards the dentate gyrus (in the hippocampus) in response to a particular protein. it was actually fun.. and now i don't know if i want to do a ph.d, m.d, or both... :confused:
where did you do stem cell research?? I'm fascinated by stem cells!

orthopedics research
1) just submitted a manuscript on a study on the variants of shoulder anatomy (specifically SLAP lesions) and their implications on shoulder pathology
2) started a new project testing the strength of arthroscopic knots with open surgical knots
3) working on a manuscript for a project observing the benefits of new electromagnetic navigation versus existing infrared navigation
4) started a new project on electromagnetic navigation and the computer's accuracy and benefits for the patients

first two are with texas arthroscopic and sports medicine institute and the last two are with the southwest orthopedic group.

From the sounds of most here, it's as if everyone's in residency and doing their research on new medical technology! LOL. Have fun in the med school interviews...

Ecology and environmental biology with foraminifera in northern Gulf of Mexico marshes. I love playing in the mud!

Effects of defective DNA repair on the developing brain.

does anyone else hear work w/ radioactive materails.....i began in a lab last week and we do a lot of studies using tritium (H3) and C14

a bunch of us found out today that H3 can penetrate gloves and skin when we first thought otherwise....i guess that just calls for constant glove changing....and a reduced life expectancy

this is the first time i've actually worked w/ radioactive materials, so i find it to be a bit scary

You all truly have some amazing research experience. It makes me nervous to think that there are so many other people with impressive research experience. Good luck to you all. It sounds like you'll have great chances getting into a school of your dreams.

As an undergrad I worked in two labs. In the first we studied hypothalamic regulation in growth hormone and prolactin deficient mice (dwarf mice). In the second I worked with adult marrow stromal stem cells in spinal cord injury models in rats. Currently I am a clinical research coordinator in an abdominal transplant department working with two hepatologists and a fellow on treatment of hepatitis C and B.

I work on pigment pattern development and pigment cell communication in zebrafish.

Not doing any right now. :( I miss it. I finished up my thesis project on neural stem cells in May, and I'll be starting a job in a few weeks dealing with cell membranes. Not quite as interesting, but atleast I'll be back in the lab. :D

Characterization of some of the lesser known lipoprotens (specifically apo-A) that contribute to cardiovascular disease

i'm a chem mojor too!

Accelerating Tracheal Wound Repair

(Chem Major)

pre-medUSF said:
Shriner's Hospital is on the USF campus but I do not do work there. I'm not really interested in pediatrics. Are you? How do you know about Shriner's? What school do you go to? My research in spinal surgrery is through Florida Orthopedic Institute. I also work in a nursing home.

USF! Yea! :D I volunteer at Shriners--the kids there are awesome :) You doing paid research at Florida Orthopedic or volunteer?

daisy958 said:
USF! Yea! :D I volunteer at Shriners--the kids there are awesome :) You doing paid research at Florida Orthopedic or volunteer?

I do volunteer work. It's great because I can come and go whenever I want.

Ophthalmology Research, on mostly (but not limited to) corneal dystrophies. The work in our lab basically consists of candidate gene screenings (PCRs, Running gels, and DNA sequencing- and then manually reading the DNA sequence of the candidate gene for multiple patients to check for mutations). I work in the lab of a reknowned ophthalmologist who happens to be a publication machine, so fortunately for me we have tons of projects going on and I'm able to get invovled in most of them. Hence I get my name on a bunch of publications.

Currently working in radiation oncology doing research with image guided radiation therapy, intensity modulated radiation therapy, stereotactic radio surgery, and I am the medical physicist in veterinary oncology wing. I blast animals with radiation :D

bpost137 said:

stem cell research, while awesome in potential, is a bad area to get into as a researcher because funding is pretty much cut every four years, and that could mean disaster for someone's research :eek:

As an undergrad I worked in two labs. In the first we studied hypothalamic regulation in growth hormone and prolactin deficient mice (dwarf mice). In the second I worked with adult marrow stromal stem cells in spinal cord injury models in rats. Currently I am a clinical research coordinator in an abdominal transplant department working with two hepatologists and a fellow on treatment of hepatitis C and B.

bpost137 said:

wesleyan university.. it wasn't really stem cell research, b/c i did this in vitro... i mean, we used neural progenitors derived from ES cells... well.. i guess it is stem cell research... haha i dunno. confused. i'm sure there are a few other places you can do the same!

Pewl said:
stem cell research, while awesome in potential, is a bad area to get into as a researcher because funding is pretty much cut every four years, and that could mean disaster for someone's research :eek:

unfortunately this is true... but it's great experience as an undergrad. i worked w/ them for just two months this summer (it was a two month program) and i learned a lot.

Now doing antibiowarfare biosensor design of a device that rapidly analyzes samples and tells you every bacteria/virus that is present.

How's that for an improvement on the classic "say AHHHHH and then wait days while we culture your swab...and in the meantime we'll give you our best guess at a treatment option" strategy? :p Fortunately, Dubya throws tons of $$$ at us, which makes the secondary rape-age a *bit* less painful.

Oh yea and a bunch of cardiac modeling back at UCSD.

I am the test subject testing: [EtOH] in vivo :laugh:

Oh how I love being premed. Antibiotic drug development. while coherent.