WHAT?!? UT-Houston EM Residency Dead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H&P-Stat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just read an earlier post from "davidgreen" that the Emergency Medicine Residency at UT-Houston is dead after being on probation for several years. According to their website, they just received reaccreditation in 1999 and were in good shape with a new Program Director. Has anyone else heard anything? Any UT-Houston residents out there? Please post info/details as UT-Houston EM was at the TOP of my list of programs where I was hoping to match next year. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about the specific program, but to lose your accreditation, you have to be on probationary status for 3 years. So if the program received accreditation in 1999, the earliest it would be in probation is 2002, and the earliest they could force the program to shut down would be 2005.

In the history of EM residencies, only one (in 25 years) has been forced to shut down. I think it was in Cleveland.

i'm sorry, can you reference d. green's post since searching is disabled? thanks.

andy

Members don't see this ad :)
nvrmind, i found it.

just wanted to know how you can find out if a program is on probation. Thanks.

Well, obviously the inside info I thought I had is apparently incorrect if mcwmark is right, and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I don't want to be spreading rumors - too late for that - but the person who informed me of the impending death of UT-Houston EM was none other than a residency director himself from another program. (A collective WHOA from the audience.) I'll not reveal his name, however.

Someone else told me (an unidentified White House source who spoke on condition of anonymity) that there has been another EM residency death that wasn't mentioned here. Oklahoma (State U or OU or Oral Roberts, I don't know) once had an EM residency, but it's gone now.

moral: don't listen to the rumor mills

David
:wink:

The program that WAS discontinued was the one at U. of Oklahoma.