What video games should i play?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading a scientific study that showed surgeons/students who played video games became better surgeons ie increased their reaction time, better at Laparoscopic surgery etc. Here is a blog post about it:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2008-08-18-video-games-learning_N.htm

Do you guys play video games? I don't play video games but after reading this study i'm tempted to buy an xbox and call of duty. What video games do you guys think will work the best ie has problem solving scenarios, requires fast reaction times etc as stated by the study?

Researchers who gathered in Boston for the American Psychological Association convention detailed a series of studies suggesting video games can be powerful learning tools — from increasing younger students' problem-solving potential to improving the suturing skills of laparoscopic surgeons.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Since the beginning of this year I have finished:
Saint row the 3rd, Prototype 2, Demon soul, Dragon Dogma, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 1-3, BF3, Asura's Wrath, God of War series.
Gotta love Gamefly.
Dark Soul/Demon soul is hand down what you want if you are looking for fast reaction time. Problem solving...idk GOW and Uncharted series maybe, there are lots of puzzles in those games although they are really easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHAHA all the years playing video games finally pays off! Now if only the schools actually had space on the primary for video game abilities....

But on a more serious note I can't say if my hand eye coordination or reaction time is better because of playing games since I don't know what they would be if I hadn't played games you know?

Also call of duty or any games requiring noticing small differences on the screen (seeing a sniper move a foot to the right etc.) and those requiring fast reactions to certain situations like sports games might not be too bad if you're considering trying it out lol

Since the beginning of this year I have finished:
Saint row the 3rd, Prototype 2, Demon soul, Dragon Dogma, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 1-3, BF3, Asura's Wrath, God of War series.
Gotta love Gamefly.
Dark Soul/Demon soul is hand down what you want if you are looking for fast reaction time. Problem solving...idk GOW and Uncharted series maybe, there are lots of puzzles in those games although they are really easy.
What console do you think is best to play these games on to improve my hand eye coordination? Ie the controller will test all my fingers, use many fingers at once to accomplish tasks and not just use my main fingers to play? I know the ps vita has 2 analog sticks and 2 d pads but i'm not sure if these games will be avaliable on there. So it comes down to the ps3 or xbox. Which one is better?

Last edited:
I have read a study like this. Surgeons played specific wii games for like 20-30 min before a surgery.

I have read a study like this. Surgeons played specific wii games for like 20-30 min before a surgery.
I totally forgot about the WII. Moving my entire hands could do more for me than just my fingers. I have a big decision to make in the coming days. What console do you suggest?

What console do you think is best to play these games on to improve my hand eye coordination? Ie the controller will test all my fingers, use many fingers at once to accomplish tasks and not just use my main fingers to play?

IMO both console are 98% similar, I used to play on my roomate xbox for 2 years and now i have a PS3. controllers are pretty much the same more or less with very similar setup.
triggers on xbox controller is better than the ones on PS3 (although I bought a extra addon that completly solve the problem)

Go classic bro. Goldeneye and Mariocart on N64.

I remember watching something about this on the Discovery network. The surgeon was playing Super Monkey Ball on a Game Cube.

COD is addictive, be warned.

I have both the Xbox360 and PS3.

think the 360 controller fits my hands better, but the PS3 controller is so light and the buttons seem more responsive. Plus the PS3 controller doesn't need batteries.

The 360 has a better interface design, but that doesn't really matter when you are in a game.

With Microsoft I had an expired credit card on my account. They sent me an email saying I didn't have a valid credit card on file and would have to update my credit card info to continue service. I didn't want to continue so I didn't update and then they went and charged it anyway. Turns out subscription based services can do this. But the emails clearly said the credit card info on file wasn't valid and an interruption of service would happen. Very deceptive. So always use pre paid cards. Do that for PSN too. There was a big security breach in the past.

PS3 is free to play online. People say that XBL is better than PSN, but games are hosted on the games servers and so there really isn't a difference. There is no skill level difference between XBL and PS3 players either. It's just fanboy talk.

You want a better reaction time and hand eye coordination? How about you go outside and play a sport

Tetris FTW.

Increases finger dexterity, thought process speed, and spatial awareness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a PS3, not an Xbox. There are tons of great games for either console though, like Red Dead Redemption, the Mass Effect series (I'm playing this now), the Call of Duty series, Battlefield, Batman Arkham City, Fallout3, the list goes on and on. If you've never played video games before just try a genre like a first person shooter or rpg and see what you like

Twitch videogames, such as Counter-Strike: Source (or 1.6).

And, as much as I hate the series, any of the Call of Duty games. Make sure you play online and competitively. Opt for the mouse and keyboard. With a controller you're only challenging your thumbs.

Also: www.flashflashrevolution.com

Yeah... I am starting to think you are a troll verum.

Especially because you started posting when jamal jones/ paki producer got banned.

Get a PS3, not an Xbox. There are tons of great games for either console though, like Red Dead Redemption, the Mass Effect series (I'm playing this now), the Call of Duty series, Battlefield, Batman Arkham City, Fallout3, the list goes on and on. If you've never played video games before just try a genre like a first person shooter or rpg and see what you like

yea, get a ps3, price is cut so its not as expensive anymore plus you will be able to play more games => reason why i got one.

Play computer games because consoles are extremely over rated. I suggest my little pony adventure time and runescape.

Twitch videogames, such as Counter-Strike: Source (or 1.6).

And, as much as I hate the series, any of the Call of Duty games. Make sure you play online and competitively. Opt for the mouse and keyboard. With a controller you're only challenging your thumbs.

Also: www.flashflashrevolution.com

And your index and middle fingers every time you use ADS, shoot, throw something.
How often do you use your right thumb on a mouse playing COD?

I second the PS3. Lots of awesome, kickass games.

Also, the Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry HD collections are cheap, 6 games, and lots of fun :D

Playing Grand Theft Auto gives a good insight on trauma scenes

Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind, GTAs, Any of the call of duty or battlefield games. Anything that floats your boat really.:D

How often do you use your right thumb on a mouse playing COD?

All the time, because I have the side button on the mouse bound to something. I reckon most other people too, given the advent of gaming mice with buttons on the side.

When your hands on resting on a controller you're not moving your hand at all (speaking of 360 and PS3 - Wii is an exception). There's no practice in precision with respect to wrist/forearm movement.

I'm not downplaying the merits of playing with a controller, but you'll reap more rewards with a mouse and keyboard (and perhaps a Wii controller).

The assassin's creed series was awesome.
Big fan of the final fantasy and square enix made series but they're more story driven than intense game play.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

I was just reading a scientific study that showed surgeons/students who played video games became better surgeons ie increased their reaction time, better at Laparoscopic surgery etc. Here is a blog post about it:

Do you guys play video games? I don't play video games but after reading this study i'm tempted to buy an xbox and call of duty. What video games do you guys think will work the best ie has problem solving scenarios, requires fast reaction times etc as stated by the study?

Thanks.

Verum, you would probably enjoy Farmville or Robot Unicorn.

Trauma Center and Amateur Surgeon, obviously.

who needs video games when you have operation.

Computer games ftw.

Download League of Legends and play it.

It's free, and it's awesome.

But if you suck or you're too slow you'll hear about it from the rest of your team...

Woooo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKdX7aB3TRk[/YOUTUBE]

Computer games ftw.

Download League of Legends and play it.

It's free, and it's awesome.

But if you suck or you're too slow you'll hear about it from the rest of your team...

Woooo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKdX7aB3TRk[/YOUTUBE]

If you do anything with your life Op, do not start playing LOL. It has consumed my roommates and friends (multiple) lives, the theory of play is essentially repetitive (destroy enemy's nexus) and must get boring sometime (but apparently not), and last but not least...

...League of Legends, otherwise known as LoL, otherwise known as...

Teh Anti-poon

If you do anything with your life Op, do not start playing LOL. It has consumed my roommates and friends (multiple) lives, the theory of play is essentially repetitive (destroy enemy's nexus) and must get boring sometime (but apparently not), and last but not least...

...League of Legends, otherwise known as LoL, otherwise known as...

Teh Anti-poon

I can't count the number of times I've said "one more game..." in one sitting.

It doesn't help when you get messages from people you regularly play with that go "COME ON MAN WE NEED YOU YOU'RE OUR TANK"

I can't count the number of times I've said "one more game..." in one sitting.

It doesn't help when you get messages from people you regularly play with that go "COME ON MAN WE NEED YOU YOU'RE OUR TANK"

I encourage all LoL players to give dota 2 a chance.

Yoshi's Story for N64, AKA the best video game OF ALL TIME.

CoD and Halo for sure. Mirror's Edge was a lot of fun, too.

Thanks.

The knife game. It's easy to play, and builds great dexterity and the ability to work under pressure! Just get a knife from your kitchen, preferably the largest one possible, and sit at a flat table. Put your non-dominant hand on the table, with fingers spread wide out, and try to jam knife in the spaces in between your fingers as quickly as possible. It's much cheaper than an xbox, and may even dissuade you from surgery! (For example, it may even reveal to you whether the sight of copious amounts of blood can make you queasy). But don't worry! If you manage to lose, you'll still be rewarded by getting to see the inside of a surgical ward!

Last edited:
The knife game. It's easy to play, and builds great dexterity and the ability to work under pressure! Just get a knife from your kitchen, preferably the largest one possible, and sit at a flat table. Put your non-dominant hand on the table, with fingers spread wide out, and try to jam knife in the spaces in between your fingers as quickly as possible. It's much cheaper than an xbox, and may even dissuade you from surgery! (For example, it may even reveal to you whether the sight of copious amounts of blood can make you queasy). But don't worry! If you manage to lose, you'll still be rewarded by getting to see the inside of a surgical ward!
As a plus, this will give you an extremely easy way to make a big impression at every interview you have (med school, residency, etc). When they treat you to dinner, just whip out the steak knife and proceed to get accepted.

try to get a platinum in bayonetta. One does not simply master that game without significantly increasing reaction timing

Status
Not open for further replies.