ribcrackindoc

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
93
0
Visit site
Status
where can one get the numbers of available positions per specialty and number filled in each specialty for this years match? which specialties were the toughtest to get into this year? what were the relative trends? thanks
 

GeneGoddess

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
495
4
Status
It looks like Pedi was VERY full this year and matched 97.5%, leaving 2.5% of spots open. Thanks a big change from the 90-95% it's been for the past five years.
 

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
3,517
1,435
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
you can't go by fill rates. If so, you'll notice that psych had a higher fill rate than rads. Noone in their right mind would say that psych is more competitive than rads.

Same as ever: derm,plastics,radonc>ortho,uro,ent,neurosurg>rads,ophtho>>everything else.
 

surg4me

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
132
2
Status
approx 1100 categorical spots for general surgery in 2005 (2382 if you include prelim)

only 6 categoricals for scramble; 467 for prelim
(the unfilled list has UCLA listed in the GS categorical spot, but it's a mistake...if you look at the NRMP # for the program and the # of spots offered, 2, it's actually a plastics spot).
tough year indeed for scramble.