What was the hardest concept for you to grasp studying for MCAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zwander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a questions to everyone out there who reads this forum! What was the hardest thing for each of you to grasp when studying for the mcat!? And maybe give an explanation as to how you figured it out, because I'm sure if it was hard for you, it was hard for others as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a questions to everyone out there who reads this forum! What was the hardest thing for each of you to grasp when studying for the mcat!? And maybe give an explanation as to how you figured it out, because I'm sure if it was hard for you, it was hard for others as well!
Interference phenomena in optics and the carnot cycle in thermochemistry

electric and magnetic fields

Yes and the freakin right hand rule including X and Dot products. My textbook was the only one to explain it good. Prep companies sucked. I loved optics though. Easiest physics topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and the freakin right hand rule including X and Dot products. My textbook was the only one to explain it good. Prep companies sucked. I loved optics though. Easiest physics topic.

damn straight; optics was one of my better physics subjects;) the whole right hand rule magnetic field grrr!!!!

damn straight; optics was one of my better physics subjects;) the whole right hand rule magnetic field grrr!!!!

I know right? And the gestures you would be making with your hand during test day just seem funny especially if the students next to you are doing the same thing :D

I know right? And the gestures you would be making with your hand during test day just seem funny especially if the students next to you are doing the same thing :D

The right hand rule is so poorly taught in undergraduate physics because the cross-product is never explicitly introduced. No self-respecting physicist that I know uses that whole stupid finger triad - it is so much clearer using cross products.

A x B = C, where C is perpendicular to the plane formed by A and B, and that the cross product of A and B points in the C direction.

The distinctions among different kinds of mobile genetic elements in eukaryotic DNA - transposons, transposable elements, insertion sequences - how did those terms relate to each other? Sometimes the terms seemed to be used synonymously. Other times the terms seems to be distinct or one the subset of the other. No wikipedia back then. I couldn't figure it out. It was like a Sword of Damocles hanging over me.