What was the last book you read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JkGrocerz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...tends to be a popular interview questioin from what I understand. and to be honest with you, when I have free time, i dont sit around and read books...i usually go out and Do stuff---sports, travel, friends etc. I don't know if it's the future EM doc in me, but I don't really have the patience to sit and read a 1000 page novel in my free time ( i dont mind reading travel magazines and stuff though). I would rather spend it doing somthing else...

on that note, how would I respond to that question without sounding too narrow and dumb?

Members don't see this ad.

Just what you said. That you tend to spend your free time doing other things and then expand on those things. I wouldn't say that EMP's don't read. We have a book club in our residency and many avid readers. Not to mention, if an interviewer is asking that question, they are probably readers themselves. So using the tone of 'I don't sit aroudn and read because I am a future EM doc' could be off putting to some.

Something like "I prefer to spend my free time doing XYZ" Very few people would equate not reading with stupidity.

Just read a book. It's a lot easier. What else are you going to do on all those flights to interviews? Any book will do. They don't care what book it is, they want to see how you talk about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had that interview question when applying to medical school, and I said something silly like I dont typically do leisure reading, but maybe I should start. And the interviewer responded with not everyone enjoys reading and its not something you should do if you're really not interested in it. So tell me what you are interested in...The most important thing is to be true to yourself and people know when you're just trying to say the "right thing".

As a funny side note, I was in a large conference recently where the speaker was addressing the topic of leisure reading and posed the same question to the audience..."How many of you have read a non-medical book in the last year". Probably 90% of the crowd raises their hands. Then the speaker asks "How many of you read a book OTHER than the DaVinci Code?" Half the hands go down.

JkGrocerzi usually go out and Do stuff--- travel QUOTE said:
What do you usually do on the long flights you take when you travel?

Books are a good way to expand your universe as well. Fiction (good fiction :D ) can give you a new view on reality. Nonfiction can help you to better understand something you have an interest in. I like to read when I fly - it makes the flight pass quicker. I like to read something about or from the place to where I am traveling.

But if reading is not for you, then I agree with the others, don't make something up, just explain what you DO like to do in your spare time. I think that is the real juxt of the question - are you a real person who has other, outside interestes?

I bought the Nintendo DS for my wife a few months ago... they had this game where you can raise a dog and teach it tricks and crap. Well, she ended up hating the game, so I returned the game... but bought myself a game, so now I play it when I'm on the plane... makes the flight go by in NO TIME.

But once I sign a contract for a real job (should be within 1-2 weeks), I won't be flying around much anymore... no more job interviews!

Q