Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What was the last book you read

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by JkGrocerz, Nov 12, 2005.

1. JkGrocerz

JkGrocerz Member
    5+ Year Member

...tends to be a popular interview questioin from what I understand. and to be honest with you, when I have free time, i dont sit around and read books...i usually go out and Do stuff---sports, travel, friends etc. I don't know if it's the future EM doc in me, but I don't really have the patience to sit and read a 1000 page novel in my free time ( i dont mind reading travel magazines and stuff though). I would rather spend it doing somthing else...

on that note, how would I respond to that question without sounding too narrow and dumb?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just what you said. That you tend to spend your free time doing other things and then expand on those things. I wouldn't say that EMP's don't read. We have a book club in our residency and many avid readers. Not to mention, if an interviewer is asking that question, they are probably readers themselves. So using the tone of 'I don't sit aroudn and read because I am a future EM doc' could be off putting to some.

Something like "I prefer to spend my free time doing XYZ" Very few people would equate not reading with stupidity.

4. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just read a book. It's a lot easier. What else are you going to do on all those flights to interviews? Any book will do. They don't care what book it is, they want to see how you talk about it.

5. sweetfynesse

sweetfynesse Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had that interview question when applying to medical school, and I said something silly like I dont typically do leisure reading, but maybe I should start. And the interviewer responded with not everyone enjoys reading and its not something you should do if you're really not interested in it. So tell me what you are interested in...The most important thing is to be true to yourself and people know when you're just trying to say the "right thing".

6. MasterintuBater

MasterintuBater Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As a funny side note, I was in a large conference recently where the speaker was addressing the topic of leisure reading and posed the same question to the audience..."How many of you have read a non-medical book in the last year". Probably 90% of the crowd raises their hands. Then the speaker asks "How many of you read a book OTHER than the DaVinci Code?" Half the hands go down.

7. turtle md

turtle md Hardware Included
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

8. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I bought the Nintendo DS for my wife a few months ago... they had this game where you can raise a dog and teach it tricks and crap. Well, she ended up hating the game, so I returned the game... but bought myself a game, so now I play it when I'm on the plane... makes the flight go by in NO TIME.

But once I sign a contract for a real job (should be within 1-2 weeks), I won't be flying around much anymore... no more job interviews!

Q