You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What was your #1 reason for choosing your school?
Started by jonwill
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
well... i have already been through another professional school and have a doctoral level degree while working on another.... and in my ripe old age i have learned that curriculum and reputation matter while you are in school to a point... doing well at even the lowest "rated" institution will get you the residency you seek or the end that you desire. There were some complete idiots at my last program and some insanely smart people at a lower level institution... thats the way it always works and you will find that out for yourself in time.
As selfish as I may be, the money was of pivotal importance to me. A scholarship amounting to $32,000 over 4 years is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you have racked up a zillion loan dollars from a masters degree, a doctorate, and an additional professional school loan to boot... Maybe it is easier for me to decide this because I have been through one professional school already... and I know the routine, and the worries, and the rumors, and the attitudes, and the inaccuracies that come with just not knowing the realities...
So for whatever reason you choose your school, be proud... become successful... the school you attend will not make or break your career..
do not doubt your decision because someone else is so certain that they are correct in their assumptions about their schools supremacy, or even their reasons for choosing it..
Everyone has a competetive nature in professional school, but comparisons are only a way of making yourself feel better about your own choice, or a way of ending up feeling bad that you didnt choose what everybody else did... or used the same rationale for your choice... comparing is such BS.
It all comes down to confidence... confidence in your choice of schools.. in your personal capabilities.. in your reasoning.... in yourself... be confident and success will follow you (not the other way around).
ok.. 2 cents in. (and im usually hoarding that 2 cents)
As selfish as I may be, the money was of pivotal importance to me. A scholarship amounting to $32,000 over 4 years is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you have racked up a zillion loan dollars from a masters degree, a doctorate, and an additional professional school loan to boot... Maybe it is easier for me to decide this because I have been through one professional school already... and I know the routine, and the worries, and the rumors, and the attitudes, and the inaccuracies that come with just not knowing the realities...
So for whatever reason you choose your school, be proud... become successful... the school you attend will not make or break your career..
do not doubt your decision because someone else is so certain that they are correct in their assumptions about their schools supremacy, or even their reasons for choosing it..
Everyone has a competetive nature in professional school, but comparisons are only a way of making yourself feel better about your own choice, or a way of ending up feeling bad that you didnt choose what everybody else did... or used the same rationale for your choice... comparing is such BS.
It all comes down to confidence... confidence in your choice of schools.. in your personal capabilities.. in your reasoning.... in yourself... be confident and success will follow you (not the other way around).
ok.. 2 cents in. (and im usually hoarding that 2 cents)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you have a doctorate in?
I chose TUSPM because of its reputation and its curriculum. TUSPM curriculum is heavily slanted towards podiatric surgery. Another reason is that my Podiatrist back home in NYC told me not to go to NYCPM and consider TUSPM instead.
gsrimport said:Curriculum and Reputation!
Same here, I chose Scholl because of Curriculum with MD students, Long Reputation with residency matches and delivering good research to the whole medical community. Also, getting the 50% scholarship for the 1st year, and opportunity to get more with a good GPA has really helped in the deciding process.
D
Dr_Feelgood
doclm said:Same here, I chose Scholl because of Curriculum with MD students, Long Reputation with residency matches and delivering good research to the whole medical community. Also, getting the 50% scholarship for the 1st year, and opportunity to get more with a good GPA has really helped in the deciding process.
Are the students at Scholl taking classes w/ the MDs now?
Dr_Feelgood said:Are the students at Scholl taking classes w/ the MDs now?
I know for sure that the full anatomy class is the same between the DPM and MD students. Also, I thought some of the others were the same as well. On the other hand, there are some classes that are not with the MD students but taught by the same professors. I think that DPM curriculm mirroring the MD curriculm the first couple years is something more recent to Scholl.
Tommorrow I will call and ask someone in admissions to really find out for sure.
I've got to admit, I'm somewhat surprised be the results so far.
The poll is closing next week. Vote if you have not already done so. This is serious scientific stuff here people 

jonwill said:The poll is closing next week. Vote if you have not already done so. This is serious scientific stuff here people![]()
You gotta love evidence based medicine. You cant get more evident than this!
With the way some people treat SDN, you would think so. Some people are convinced that SDN is the AUTHORITY on all medical field issuesIlizaRob said:You gotta love evidence based medicine. You cant get more evident than this!

It ain't? OMG!!! 😱jonwill said:With the way some people treat SDN, you would think so. Some people are convinced that SDN is the AUTHORITY on all medical field issues![]()
You mean all this time after I was I was basing my total existence and even future "patient-care" on sdn advice, NOT medical textbooks and -- I was wrong??!!
I mean what could a med textbook possibly offer, that some sooth-sayer on sdn can't? 😛

capo said:It ain't? OMG!!! 😱
You mean all this time after I was I was basing my total existence and even future "patient-care" on sdn advice, NOT medical textbooks and -- I was wrong??!!
I mean what could a med textbook possibly offer, that some sooth-sayer on sdn can't? 😛![]()
More dreams shattered by SDN!
One reason that was not featured on the poll, which I found to be very important was facilities. To me, the facilities of some of the schools were lacking and that is why I felt that I did not want to go there. I would agree that reputation and curriculum were very important, but the environment that you are working in and the facilities in which you have to learn and apply your craft are very important to me.
Did anyone else feel the same way?
Did anyone else feel the same way?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
Dr_Feelgood
mrfeet said:One reason that was not featured on the poll, which I found to be very important was facilities. To me, the facilities of some of the schools were lacking and that is why I felt that I did not want to go there. I would agree that reputation and curriculum were very important, but the environment that you are working in and the facilities in which you have to learn and apply your craft are very important to me.
Did anyone else feel the same way?
Yes and no. If they have a new anatomy lab but they don't teach you anything, are the facilities that important. I think it is funny how people are voting. Curriculum should be on top of everyone's list.
Right on Feelgood! "All that glitters IS NOT gold!"Dr_Feelgood said:Yes and no. If they have a new anatomy lab but they don't teach you anything, are the facilities that important. I think it is funny how people are voting. Curriculum should be on top of everyone's list.

Dr_Feelgood said:Yes and no. If they have a new anatomy lab but they don't teach you anything, are the facilities that important. I think it is funny how people are voting. Curriculum should be on top of everyone's list.
👍
D
Dr_Feelgood
capo said:Right on Feelgood! "All that glitters IS NOT gold!"![]()
Cool. Fuel and Shakespeare!