What was your first semester GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.5, 6 credits.. calc 1 and film.. b in film

Members don't see this ad.

3.97, I was 2 points away from a 4.0 on my cacl final... but whatever. This is 18 credits (quarter system, ie 3 quarters in a year + summer), though 3 were undergraduate research.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA was a 3.67. :(

I was sucking terribly at math (but still passing by their standards). I failed to complete all the online labs and received an X in the course which means it doesn't hurt my overall GPA, but I will have to take the class over. Also, I was supposed to pull an A in both my ENG class and ENG lab that accompanies it, but I ended up with a B in both due to some stupid stipulations concerning papers.

4.0 with only 12 credits.

I knew the importance of starting with a very high GPA so I took filler classes like PRECALCULUS, INTRO TO CHEM, etc. :laugh:

not trying to come off cocky but my first semester i got a 4.0, and last semester too, and i haven't had anything less than an A-

personally, from what i've gathered, you don't need much more than a 3.8. anything above that is gravy. but i wouldn't trade my gravy for anything ;)

3.8 but my second semester was 1.8 (I slacked off BIG time). Now I'm about to start the second semester of my junior year and I have around a 3.5 overall. I wouldn't stress it; you'll be fine. You have plenty of time to improve. :thumbup:

to update from my first post (the original post haha!) I now have a 3.8, I earned a 4.0 this semester with 22 hours :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel like a beast

3.41, 17 hours...didn't have a clue what I was doing. Second semester = 3.8. Since then (5 semesters), all 4.0s

Last edited:
Set your sights high...the average GPA for matriculants increases year after year.

Got a 3.6 with 17 credits first semester and a 3.8 with 18 credits second semester.

OP you are doing just fine since this is just your first semester and on top of that, you took 20 credits. Students usually get lower gpa their first semester since it is a big transition (staying away from family, time management) and they are a lot of distractions (if you know what i mean :cool:). Just try not to take such a heavy course load next semester (18 credits maybe?) a see how you do.

Got a 3.6 with 17 credits first semester and a 3.8 with 18 credits second semester.

OP you are doing just fine since this is just your first semester and on top of that, you took 20 credits. Students usually get lower gpa their first semester since it is a big transition (staying away from family, time management) and they are a lot of distractions (if you know what i mean :cool:). Just try not to take such a heavy course load next semester (18 credits maybe?) a see how you do.

Haha you probably did not see my second post on this.. I actually took MORE credit hours (22) and got a 4.0 :) I fought hard all the way though.

3.62 here

Dont worry about this, especially with a 20 hour course load. As you move up into you major you'll get better at time management and studying effectively. I pulled my cGPA up to a 3.8 (with an sGPA to match. You'll be just fine.

The most important thing you can do is to accept that you're going to have to work continuously to improve your study habits from now until you're an MSIII. After that you'll get a whole new set off skills to learn.

Best of luck to you.

3.0, was able to raise it to just below a 3.7 come application time. And now I have been accepted to US MD school for the class of 2015! If you had a poor first semester don't let it bother you, just step it up and start doing better because before you know it you will be submitting that app!

3.85 with 18 credits. One B+ dropped me pretty significantly but whatever; I'm in med school now.

Sophomore year (right around the time I decided to pursue medicine) I started off with a ~2.9 something. I drastically improved my work ethic, study habits, and my grades. Starting medical school this fall.

3.68 first semester and then 3.67 second semester because I thought chemistry was soo easy first semester that I took honors chemistry second semester and dropped miserably (B+) =/

Hoping to get 4.0s here on out.
gotta work extra hard!

I got a 4.0. Honestly I slacked off so much in high school and I KNOW I'm not THE smartest person but I studied my butt off and I had a year the entire time so it was all about balancing and prioritizing. Work hard and it will pay off!

More important where you end than where you start!

I started with a 4.0, ended with a 3.2. Did a post-bacc after

2.8 with a C in bio 1. The only A that I got was in a 1 credit "Intro to college" class.

My first quarter GPA was a 3.022. My reaction was obviously "wow i didn't actually do as poorly as I thought I would".

I got a 4.0. Honestly I slacked off so much in high school and I KNOW I'm not THE smartest person but I studied my butt off and I had a year the entire time so it was all about balancing and prioritizing. Work hard and it will pay off!
Aren't you at a CC and why did you bump this thread?

3.48 then I transferred and got a 3.20 with a W..... now I'm at 3.72 and In the top of my class #deflation

Reactions: 1 user
2.55 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ got it up to a 3.6 by the end of sophomore year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile