What was your least favorite third year rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys are overthinking it. Women just hate each other.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I would hate pediatrics, but actually turned out to love it. I saw some crazy ass conditions -- left hypoplastic heart syndrome, Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome, Turner's, Pierre Robin's, Schinzel-Giedion syndrome, Goldenhar syndrome, ALCAPA, spinal muscular atrophy type II, infantile spasms, Fischer miller variant Guillian Barre syndrome, botulism (antidote flown in overnight from CA!!!), just to name a few -- along with the routine stuff like DKA, asthma, croup, suicide attempt w tylenol, CF, etc. Now I'm on medicine and I really want to love it -- but turns out the teaching really sucks, and I feel like the senior residents could really care less about the medical students. I really want build a solid foundation in internal medicine, but with the complete apathy towards medical students I am having a rough time. Hopefully my next hospital shift will be better?? Kind of bewildering -- all the things kind of turned out not as what I expected...

Last edited:
So far for me it's been Radiology. For some unknown reason it seemed like a good idea, but that's two weeks of my life I'll never get back.

I did learn that I can sleep and hold a semblance of a coherent conversation at the same time though. That's bound to come in handy on Psych from what I gather reading this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are overthinking it. Women just hate each other.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out a way to say this without coming across sexist. But I've often seen that high-achieving women have a hard time working with each other, especially when there is a power differential involved.

Reactions: 1 user
So far for me it's been Radiology. For some unknown reason it seemed like a good idea, but that's two weeks of my life I'll never get back.

I did learn that I can sleep and hold a semblance of a coherent conversation at the same time though. That's bound to come in handy on Psych from what I gather reading this thread.

Nah, you don't sleep in Psych because you're always wondering if the guy across from you is going to strangle you while he's talking about his magical unicorn. Although, come to think of it, that is sort of like Radiology.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out a way to say this without coming across sexist. But I've often seen that high-achieving women have a hard time working with each other, especially when there is a power differential involved.

It ain't sexist if it's true. = my motto for life.

Inpatient peds. It was probably due to the fact that it was January and RSV season. I would have rather punched myself repeatedly in the crotch than see another bronchiolitis admit.

Outpatient peds and my shifts in the peds ED were fun, though.

Inpatient peds. It was probably due to the fact that it was January and RSV season. I would have rather punched myself repeatedly in the crotch than see another bronchiolitis admit.

That would be hysterical. All of a sudden you start pummeling your groin and the resident is like "no! This changes nothing!!" :D

I hated every rotation, because 90% or more of it was shadowing (aka total waste of time). Exception for me was surgery where I ironically got to see more patients and contribute than I did on IM.

The worst rotation for me though was Family Medicine. And just the second half of the rotation, which I had to spend with F.M. residents at their continuity clinic. And the pointless busy work projects and lectures. Overall very very bad rotation.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Peds rotation was my least favorite, almost turned me off from the field, but reasons were unrelated to the field of pediatrics itself. The clerkship was just not well organized I thought, very rushed, tons of busy work and assignments, got verbally abused by a resident, and most of the other residents ignored us for the most part. I spent a huge chunk of that clerkship sitting around doing nothing or shadowing. Took me some time to take a step back and look at the field objectively. Funny, enough, after all is said and done, I'm still seriously thinking of applying pediatrics as things stand now haha.

Oddly enough, my favorite rotations were surgery and ob/gyn. The hours were tough, but I learned way more on those and the rotations were incredibly well organized. Little of my time felt wasted, I did a lot, learned a lot, most all of the attendings and residents were nice and actively got students involved. I almost thought I wanted to go into gen surgery after that, but had to once again look at it objectively. One of my big lessons of third year, liking the clerkship =/= liking the field.

Hopefully going to start psychiatry soon.

Last edited:
I liked something about all my rotations. But let me just say this: Well child checks were the bane of my existence.

Strolling into the patient room with a checklist, sporting my mid drift white coat and annoying the **** out of a rambunctious four year old wasn't my style.

Wait hold on guys a necrobump about the "least favorite 3rd rotation" that doesn't involve said necrobumper and his/her cavalry of necrobumping cheerleaders talk about how their chief surgical resident is the demon love child of Ghengis Kahn and Hitler and how their surgical clerkship in general was a Hieronymus Bosch triptych come to life? And how one day said necrobumper had to stay until 7pm just to do uneducational things like move a patient into a CT scanner?!!???!!!

I must be dreaming.

I had a complicated setup for general surg, mainly because I had to abandon the rotation for some complicated personal/family reasons, but the first month of GS at a community hospital was absolutely awful. The guy who ran the clerkship had a serious temper tantrum problem and our first exposure to him was seeing him cursing out one of his residents at the back of our auditorium while our grand rounds speaker from UPenn awkwardly stood at the podium waiting for him to stop screaming so he could begin his presentation. Wonderful guy to have manning your student evals. Half the intern class were prelim surg residents who were stressed out and not knowing if they even had a job the following year, and it always seemed like the main job the med student was to be a glorified Kerlex-dispensing machine on rounds. No one ever bothered to read my notes, and I'd read up on the next day's cases then be told at the last minute to switch teams and go to a different OR where I'd get pimped about a case I knew nothing about. There was also a transit strike during my time on the rotation so it would take well over an hour to get back home every evening.

Still despite that, I was walking out to my car one evening with one of the prelim interns who was there after not matching ENT. We were chatting and he said "yeah, being a surg intern does suck, but it's still way better than being in your position [as a med student]". I took that to heart that medical training does get better.

M3 sucks.

ObGyn. No question.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't know how there's any answer other than surgery with those horrible hours and often (not always) hard to work with personalities. I would quit medicine in an instant if you told me I had to be a surgeon.

That being said, I'm going into peds and absolutely love well child checks, ear aches, and RSV so I'm not your average med student. I actually don't like procedures at all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app