What was your previous profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwillhealyou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was curious what we all did before making the jump to try and get into med school. There are probably some super non-trads, which I am defining as non-trads with an even more non-traditional background before jumping into the medical arena. A good example of a super non-trad might be someone who was a sushi chef before jumping into all this. Can't wait to hear some crazy jumps. Mine isn't so spectacular but I guess I will start it off.

Before I came to college (for the third time) I worked doing various types of construction work for about 7 years. Kind of dabbled in everything, did some general construction where we built a lumber yard, a huge swimming pool, and a water treatment facility. Next I worked with a heating and cooling company installing duct work and air systems for half my time there and was then promoted to the plumbing department and worked installing water, air, and gas lines for a while. Moved to Texas and took a job at an overhead door company which was an awesome job btw, probably my favorite job I've had working with these massive doors that you would never think could ever be so big. You should see the roller wheels on a 747 hanger door, jesus. Coming in a close second place would be the last job I held before coming to college doing electrical work. This was right up my alley, loved looking at the blueprints and seeing the finished product even while we were only in the first few weeks of the building process. It is just like putting a puzzle together one day at a time. Now, getting ready to finish up my chemistry degree here in Texas. Life is a trip man. Share your story

Members don't see this ad.

Lesse, I've (mostly) done IT on and off over the last 16 years, mostly as a technician but also some database programming. I was an armorer in the Army Reserves for some of that (which means I got to take care of all the fun weapons). During slow times in the IT world (thanks bubble pop of 1999), I've worked on receiving docks, worked as a night janitor in a food prep place and even did a bit of car repossession. The later was probably the most interesting, nothing like the legal equivalent of car theft at 2 in the morning to get your blood pumping. Sadly that was just a few one off jobs, it would have been fun to do more.

I worked for 15 years in the wholesale building material supply business. Dealing mainly in concrete accessories and repair products in addition to lumber and steel products to large commercial and industrial projects. I started long ago pulling orders in the warehouse and worked my way up through dispatching, inside sales, purchasing, operations management, outside sales, and branch management. As a branch manager I managed a multi-million dollar location for a large wholesale chain with full P&L responsibility. Then the recession came and took it all away. I went from the three best years of my life to the three worst years of my life, losing everything where I am now starting from square one as a starving college student although this time with a wife and 3 yr old son. I will NEVER go back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly international EFL teaching (in CZ Rep, teaching business people- fun, but not well paying; in S Korea, teaching school kids- well paying, but not fun) since college. Got into it as a way to finance international adventures and discovered I really like teaching (except for Korean high school students)... Which is good, as that's a large part of what doctors do every day.

There was also a stint in there of working for my folks at my dad's medical office being variously: an assistant manager, fill-in sales rep for his diabetes ed. prgm, fill-in diabetes educator, PR person, staff IT trainer, receptionist, general grunt, etc.
I have a lot to thank my parents for, like the years of medical office experience I'll be able to put on the application, but one of my goals in life is to never be employed by them again. Slave-drivers...;)

I have 16 years of experience in mental health/psych. My first full time job was at a residential treatment facility on a juvenile sex offender unit. I have also worked in psych hospitals, both inpatient and in the psych ED. I have spent the past ten years in clinical psychiatric research.

Probably not going into psychiatry. I think I have had enough. :laugh:

I'm an aeronautical engineer at a jet engine company. I work on inlets and exhausts for mostly military applications, which includes afterburners. Also had a job at Boeing working on the space shuttle main engines. So i like to call myself a rocket scientist :) I've only been out of undergrad 6 years but I don't see myself doing this till I'm 70

Officially pre med now, taking my first course at night, a&p. It's not a requirement most places but I figure it's good to take

I am currently working as a production scientist carrying out chemical synthesis for biomedical testing reagents. Before I worked here I was a waiter taking my pre-reqs. Right after I graduated with a BA in history I worked in New Orleans after Katrina as an armed guard. I earned my BA when I was planning on law school, but I ruled that out by the time I graduated.

I have worked for the last 11 years in healthcare finance. I was a practice manager for an emergency medicine group for 2 years and then moved into AR management for laboratory medicine. I have always been on the fringes of medicine while I was putting my life and school back together.
Pretty cool to see all of the diverse experiences that lead to an SDN post and trying to live out a dream!

Another aerospace engineer here! I've been working at an aircraft manufacturer for a total of a little over two years, mostly designing business jets. In between working I've spent a lot of time traveling, going back to school for my pre-reqs, volunteering, and applying to med school. It's been a crazy ride, but very enjoyable, and I can't wait to move on to the next challenge!

By the way, for all of you here who haven't yet gone through the application process, make sure you include all of these great work experiences, the adcoms love them, even those that might seem "mundane" at first.

Great thread!

I've been working as a design engineer in the automotive industry for the last several years. Researching and designing new products for several OEs and the aftermarket.

I am now officially a pre med, going to school full time to finish prereqs and to build some serious academic credibility.

My previous professions include skippering a private yacht for 5 years, working in IT on some project to get hardware & software to talk to each other, and serving as an EMT-of-fortune in a winter resort area (rescuing resort visitors, drunk townies, flaming buildings, and people lost in the woods).

Oddly enough, it is the first two work experiences (the non-medically related ones) that got highlighted as the most life-transforming experiences on the work/activities section of my app. I waited until my personal statement to discuss the more recent medical stuff in greater detail.

Members don't see this ad :)
about 12yrs working for the Japanese managing various aspects of manufacturing & planning for Toyota and Yamaha. mostly in production planning for the factories, purchasing parts and running warehouses.

Only med / pre-med non-traditionals represented so far? I'll add a little variety:

MS (physical chemistry) -> PhD (organic chemistry) -> postdoctoral research -> university professor -> starting pharmacy school in August

wow you guys have impressive resumes. I drive a semi truck. That's about it.
No, you facilitate interstate (or intrastate) transportation while maintaining detailed log books and optimizing scheduling to maximize profits.

I was in the Coast Guard as an electronics technician, screening and repairing radios and radar. Also did quality assurance. I helped the government save about $500k-$1M from avoiding contractors taking over my old work section.

wow you guys have impressive resumes. I drive a semi truck. That's about it.
:thumbup:

Former UPS driver and landscaper in a family-owned business. Plowed a ton of snow over the past 8 years. After leaving 2 years ago as co-manager I still work supervising on a part time basis around my school and EMT schedule.

Man was my father pissed when I told him I wanted to leave the business and go to school...

25 + years in accounting (full-charge bookkeeper, not CPA). Spent much of it in public accounting doing clients' books, payroll, and taxes (which I dislike intensely). Best job was a medical management firm that specializes in managing physician groups that practice out of hospitals (emergency physicians, rad, and anes.) Was downsized, unfortunately.

Was a junior high school English in Japan for 3 years and was working towards going to grad school in Japan, but I decided after hanging around my friend's neurology clinic for a while that I'd rather be a physician than a history professor.

graduated college -> worked in publishing (editorial) a few years -> got my EdM -> produced educational software for the corporate training market several years -> full-time mom -> personal medical crisis -> started taking pre-med classes

Military pilot for 8 years; flying a desk now and realizing why everyone curses staff jobs.

Currently procrastinating on writing secondary essays :)

After graduating college I alternated between commercial fishing and construction for two years. I spent a year and a half on the Logos Hope, a Christian ship that sails all around the world selling books. When I was on board we were in Croatia at a shipyard gutting and rebuilding the ship, so I was a carpenter, welder, sailor and librarian there. I went back to the US and did some more construction and painting. After that I spent a year and a half in Gambia, West Africa, where I was in charge of the construction and maintenance for a missionary organization. I went from there to the Africa Mercy, a Christian hospital ship dedicated to serving the world's poorest people with medical care. I spent eight months on board as the ship's carpenter. A few more months of construction back in the US, and here I am, one week of classes into my premed journey.

I took an entry level retail job right after high school, then worked my way into management within a year. After two years of moving up, I switched companies to take an assistant manager position, but ended up taking the store manager position within 6 months. I stayed there for five more years before resigning to stay home with my children. I've been a stay-at-home mom since 2006, and a pre-med student since 2008.

I'm currently a Custody Officer for the LA County Sheriff's Dept. I've been there for 14 years and decided in 2009 to pursue a career in medicine.

graduated in BSME-->work as system engineer and real estate-->recieved EIT certificate--> work as consulting engineer--->recieved PE license-->work as consulting engineer-->started post bach in 2010 and still going.

In about 3 years, I will retire after 25 years as a firefighter/paramedic. I am currently a Lieutenant (company officer/supervisor of a firehouse) and ride an Advanced Life Support engine. I teach BLS, ACLS, ITLS, PALS, and numerous fire related topics.

Ever since my first exposure to the medical field (EMT school in the early 90's) I've had a dream of doing what doctors do and knowing what they know. My kids are pretty well grown now, and my wife and I have more options than we did in our early 20's while trying to build careers and raise a young family.

So here I am, finishing my degree and taking pre-med courses at 40.

What a ride!

investment banking. immediate gratification to much delayed gratification. yay

SW Engineering - Manage global process reengineering and strategic programs now - work for Fortune 50 companies - no complaints about my job - except that the MD bug bit me - husband thinks that I nuts to leave this decade long (and very well paying) career to dive into another decade of uncertainty - but he will support me.
He is in a very senior position at a top 5 hi tech firm - so he knows what I am giving up !

Last edited:
Was working 20 hours a week doing customer service at the mall when I was 22 and realized I needed a change. Joined the Navy, became a Corpsman (like the Army medic, only better :cool:), got stationed with the Marines and did 2 Iraq deployments with them.

After 4 years of that I got off active duty and joined the reserves, still kicking myself for that, and now work full time as a medical assistant. I was origionally going to go into nursing but I'd like to do a bit more so here I am, 28 and a sophmore in college.

Corporal in the United States Marine Corp, MOS (Military occupation specialty) 0313- Light armored vehicle crewman, Infantryman, M240 golf automatic rifleman. It was definitely an eye opener to the darker side of life......

BS in biochemistry and molecular biology. Worked for a few years as a chemist in the pharmaceutical industry (mostly QC work). Went to pharmacy school. Received my doctor of pharmacy degree last week. I start medical school in 3 weeks.

Was a junior high school English in Japan for 3 years and was working towards going to grad school in Japan, but I decided after hanging around my friend's neurology clinic for a while that I'd rather be a physician than a history professor.

JET Programme?

Retail Manager --> Lawyer --> EFL Teacher in Japan --> Medical School Applicant

Not to mention a myriad of jobs since I was 15.

Engineering (civil); it was a really cool gig for a while...but the economics swings got really old. I'm ready to become a doctor!

Corporal in the United States Marine Corp, MOS (Military occupation specialty) 0313- Light armored vehicle crewman, Infantryman, M240 golf automatic rifleman. It was definitely an eye opener to the darker side of life......

Hey I was with 1st LAR for 4 years. From 2005-2008. Who are you with?

Paperboy
Caddy
Drug store clerk
Busboy (worst job)
Grocery clerk
Camp counselor
Retail computer salesman
IT programming/consulting
Vagabond
More IT for the man
Internet entrepreneur
Paternity leave
Operations exec, small direct marketing co.
Partner, IT/Strategy consulting
CTO major insurance co (maybe worse than busboy, but more lucrative)
Landlord
... And in 6 weeks

Med student

there's a story there. . .

(oh, and congrats on the 6 weeks to med student :thumbup:)

22 countries, 10 months, $15/day. Teaching english, selling peruvian sweaters, telemarketing, consulting... Just whatever work would keep the travels going. My companion decided I might be worth marrying :)

I have been a Welder on and off between dropping out and readmissions.

I am a full-time firefighter paramedic in a busy urban fire department
I am a fire/EMS instructor, although I only teach occasionally
I am a fully trained and sworn auxiliary police officer, I push a car a few times per month. I was promoted to detective in January but stepped down last week, too much additional work for no pay
I am picking up shifts at a part time fire department near my home again, need the money

I was a bus driver as an art student, and went full-time after graduating. It was disturbingly enjoyable, driving in circles all day, listening to NPR and reading free copies of the NYTimes. Fortunately, I quit bus driving to become a factory jeweler last summer--making The Leo Diamond solitaires (about $15,000 a pop, soldering together about 300/400 per day, making $14/hr myself), sitting in an unventilated corner next to two Chinese men who could only say mean, sexist things in English. No health insurance, either. When I felt my brain becoming atrophic--maybe something to do with soldering fumes in front of my face, while negative air pressure wafted from behind me in the polishing department--I started on MIT's OpenCourseWare via earbuds. It redirected my life.

Land scape
Gardner
Fast food
Certified nursing assistant
House keeper
Laboratory assistant
Laboratory technician --> industry and then academics
Graduate student (medicinal chemistry)
Postdoctoral research associate
Rock climbing bum
Medical student (in three weeks)

Previous career- Middle schooler. Currently a high schooler but leaving soon,thank goodness. It's not really a fit for me. It bores me to tears, there's no vacation, and the pay sucks. Starting a new career as a college student in about a year ^_^

Previous career- Middle schooler. Currently a high schooler but leaving soon,thank goodness. It's not really a fit for me. It bores me to tears, there's no vacation, and the pay sucks. Starting a new career as a college student in about a year ^_^

The pay sucked as a high schooler? Wait till you start college!