What was your previous profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bunch of retail jobs
Newspaper delivery
Management
Vending machine business
Teacher
Tutor
Telemarketer (worst)

Members don't see this ad.

Currently 5 years out of high school (has it been that long). Went for a BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences but never finished (missing senior research), was a tutor at both UG and Graduate Level, research intern (epidemiological research - ID), pharmacy intern - CVS, and finishing my PharmD in a year! :)

12 years in the music industry, including event director for music festivals. Hopefully post-bacc for my pre-reqs in 6 weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another music biz person?!??? I worked for Sony/ATV in music publishing!

I was a d1 football player in the SEC. Tried to make it into the NFL but couldn't make a team. I had a string of injures that lead to the end of my career, happy to have hung it up now and still have flexiblity/mobility in most of my joints.

Had a little money then, but I worked around ~60 hrs a week between two jobs as a medical assistant for a mobile nuclear medicine group and a bouncer/bartender on nights. I knew I wanted to go to med school at this point.

Moved, started working for a healthcare charity in Houston. My job was to convince docs to see the working poor pro bono. Had a lot of success getting people medical care. Did not have a lot of success speaking Spanish, but I did get much better in that respect.

Started working for a large hospital doing outcomes analysis when I was accepted into med school. I had an offer to join a consulting firm at that time as well, turned it down.

Couldn't be happier :D

I was a d1 football player in the SEC. Tried to make it into the NFL but couldn't make a team. I had a string of injures that lead to the end of my career, happy to have hung it up now and still have flexiblity/mobility in most of my joints.

Had a little money then, but I worked around ~60 hrs a week between two jobs as a medical assistant for a mobile nuclear medicine group and a bouncer/bartender on nights. I knew I wanted to go to med school at this point.

Moved, started working for a healthcare charity in Houston. My job was to convince docs to see the working poor pro bono. Had a lot of success getting people medical care. Did not have a lot of success speaking Spanish, but I did get much better in that respect.

Started working for a large hospital doing outcomes analysis when I was accepted into med school. I had an offer to join a consulting firm at that time as well, turned it down.

Couldn't be happier :D

You were cryptically anonymous enough that I think it's safe to ask this question.

I live in Ohio, so obviously I love the buckeyes lol.. As we go through our major NCAA violation crisis, and buckeye's are widely saying they got special treatment here or there, I find myself less than surprised. I would honestly assume that d1 athletes get perks in all programs. This leads me to my question, and you can go into as much or little detail as you like, but do d1 athletes all over get perks (aside from free tuition of course)

Land scape
Gardner
Fast food
Certified nursing assistant
House keeper
Laboratory assistant
Laboratory technician --> industry and then academics
Graduate student (medicinal chemistry)
Postdoctoral research associate
Rock climbing bum
Medical student (in three weeks)

Where did you climb? I wish i knew of camp 4 yosemite in my younger days. Wouldnt a season in Mexico, say El Portrero Chico, be sweet?

Military intelligence in the US Army;
reclassified to x-ray tech;
private security in Hawaii;
telecom equipment installer;
back to x-ray, but throw in CT this time;
fast tracking to hospital admin and in the last semester of my MBA, when I realized I had absolutely no interest in doing hospital finance for the next 30 yrs...

T-3 wks to M1!

Also, to jackzack87: is that JR in your profile pic? damn, he looked rough when that was taken!

Last edited:
Barista at a local coffee shop
Nanny & tutor in between all jobs...
Computer sales, order processing & returns department, tech support
Pharmacy Tech
Administrative Assistant at a Mortgage Co.
Loan Processor at a Mortgage Co.
Executive Assistant
Childcare Worker at a Mental Health Clinic
Full time nanny
Currently unemployed and focused on post-bac, doing research this summer and volunteering.
And squeeze in lots of travel...I'm a travel addict, not to mention kayaking, mountain climbing and diving.
And I have an awesome husband who supports and believes in me :oops:

Engineer... did a lot of military contracts in Iraq. Got fed up with the whole thing and quit. Took a 2 month roadtrip and did some soul-searching... that was 2 years ago. Now I'm taking the MCAT in 6 days and applying to medical school right after!

Members don't see this ad :)
I designed hardware for a telecommunications company. I wrote a little software from time to time as well. I have had other jobs, but that was my "career" (only worked there full time for 2.5 years).

10 years in Navy first as Nuclear Electrician (worked on electrical components in aircraft carrier reactor plants), then later (after my first bachelor's degree) as a Surface Warfare Officer on an amphibious ship.

Resigned from Navy...entering medical school shortly.

18 - 22 years old: college dropout
24 years old: medical school, accepted

nike: just do it

Rock star.

Well, sort of... more like struggling musician in several metal bands on the east coast + :

paint crew
book store
zamboni driver
van driver
phone-answering dude
research tech
master's degree student

Crazy old life...

Fast Food Cook
Mascot
Stock Boy
Gas Station Attendant
Deli Clerk
EMT-B
Paramedic
ALS Tech in busy ED

finishing up a few courses and applying next year

Jessfalling would you please stop poking your friend's eye :) I feel it so real.. as if you are poking my eye :)

System analyst/programmer.. I was a project leader mostly and department chef for some time.. later daddy had a CVA and from then on I take care of him.. beside his daily care, I perform all the medical orders a nurse should do like bladder irrigation, blood/urine sampling, catheter change, dressing etc.
I have always wanted to be a doctor, but it looks unlikely.

System analyst/programmer.. I was a project leader mostly and department chef for some time.. later daddy had a CVA and from then on I take care of him.. beside his daily care, I perform all the medical orders a nurse should do like bladder irrigation, blood/urine sampling, catheter change, dressing etc.
I have always wanted to be a doctor, but it looks unlikely.

What makes it look unlikely?

What makes it look unlikely?

I am a non-US citizen, 45 year old, dont have bachelors degree.. even if I have this education, later in business world I wont be preferred since I will be too old.. etc.etc.. I am not pessimistic, its real life..

High School Drop Out
Paint Store Employee
Short Order Cook
Got my G.E.D.
Construction Worker
Caregiver for the Developmentally Disabled (This is what really developed my interest in the medical field. Lot's of time in Doctor's offices and Emergency Rooms)
Currently working 90+ hours a week at my family's restaurant, as yet again a Short Order Cook.

Decided on my 23rd birthday to make it happen, took the ACT (with a full beard. A few kids thought I was 30.)
Now I'm going to school for Health Sciences on Scholarship. Going to cut back on my insane work schedule in the Fall and take 18 credits :scared:

At least with my current schedule I know I'll be able to handle Med School hours. (50+ hours a week, psh.)

Currently working in Preclinical R&D for a pharmaceutical company (~5 years) and also worked part time as a personal trainer on and off during that time.

High School Drop Out
Paint Store Employee
Short Order Cook
Got my G.E.D.
Construction Worker
Caregiver for the Developmentally Disabled (This is what really developed my interest in the medical field. Lot's of time in Doctor's offices and Emergency Rooms)
Currently working 90+ hours a week at my family's restaurant, as yet again a Short Order Cook.

Decided on my 23rd birthday to make it happen, took the ACT (with a full beard. A few kids thought I was 30.)
Now I'm going to school for Health Sciences on Scholarship. Going to cut back on my insane work schedule in the Fall and take 18 credits :scared:

At least with my current schedule I know I'll be able to handle Med School hours. (50+ hours a week, psh.)

The URL in your signature is messed up, might want to fix that...

The URL in your signature is messed up, might want to fix that...

Consider it fixed, thanks for the heads up.

Rock star.

Well, sort of... more like struggling musician in several metal bands on the east coast + :

Crazy old life...

I did that too man. Did you ever do any touring? Driving around the country in a van full of dudes is something most people will just never understand.

television sitcom and animation writer. :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIr8u0j08gU[/YOUTUBE]

Where did you climb? I wish i knew of camp 4 yosemite in my younger days. Wouldnt a season in Mexico, say El Portrero Chico, be sweet?

This is a bit late but I have climbed all over the united states mostly. I still want to go to Canada and Meixco would be amazing :)

Student
Telemarketer
Grocery Sacker
Burger Flipper
Student
Toilet Scrubber
Student
Delivery Driver
Student
Postal Worker
Student
Graphic Designer
Student
Teacher
Counselor
Student/Med School Applicant

In that order. :laugh:

Since age 15;
Grocery clerk
Fit staff at gym
Personal trainer
Whole foods grocery clerk
Personal trainer
Graduate student researcher
...took my MS and working on DO schools. About to embark on an informal post-bacc... Mcat in jan, apply then.

Im not a big non-trad, but i do meet the def of; over 22 and not orig on a pre-med track.

I give a lot of credit to many of you.

Retail Manager --> Lawyer --> EFL Teacher in Japan --> Medical School Applicant

Not to mention a myriad of jobs since I was 15.

Let's hear it for the lawyer's jumping ship to join the "good" side. Private practice attorney here, three years running.

Firefighter / Paramedic for the last 7 years. Worked private EMS, County EMS, Fire/EMS, Hospital EMS, every friggin type of EMS. I teach paramedic school part time, and I do prehospital related research with ultrasound. I actually teach CPR and ACLS to the local med school here. I've been working towards this years application process for 7 years, I decided I wanted to be a doctor on my second ambulance run lol. I'm leaning towards emergency medicine pretty strongly (gee I wonder why?). Before that I sold camera's and worked on cars, even built a few websites, kinda wondered around for a bit.

I feel a little intimidated on here, there are a lot of aeronautical engineers and rocket scientists!

University Director for small military base campus
High School Math Teacher, 3 yrs
Stay-at-home mom
ED tech, for the last 2+ years
^while going to school full-time

Decided teaching wasn't for me. It took a $9/hr job for me to arrive at the conclusion of medicine. As for school, never truly left since graduating with undergrad but full-time since 2009. Never been happier in a job than working as a tech even with all the poop and vomit.

While in college (some are at the same time)

Janitor - 1 year
Forklift operator - 1 Year
Operations dispatcher - 3 Years
Youth Pastor - 4 years

After Bachelor
IT Desktop Support - 3 Years
IT/Systems Administration - 2 years - Currently

Majoring in Disaster Science and Management along with taking my pre-med courses

Currently a Paramedic/911 Operator

Have been

Dispatcher/Driver on a Basic Ambulance
Paramedic Supervisor/Fleet Manager/Ambulance Mechanic

Had 2 MOS's in the Army National Guard: Unit Supply and Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, plus did some temporary active duty doing IT work and 3D animation

Have been a Manager at McDonald's, Towboat Deckhand, Heavy Equipment Mechanic and Operator, Dodge Dealership Mechanic, used car salesman, Day labored stacking bricks and boxing watches.

I always wanted to be a doctor but things got in the way. I am currently a Laboratory Supervisor (very boring career) and I plan to apply this year. I was an Analytical Chemist and a Laboratory Technician II.

I always wanted to be a doctor but things got in the way. I am currently a Laboratory Supervisor (very boring career) and I plan to apply this year. I was an Analytical Chemist and a Laboratory Technician II.

I was an Analytical Chemist for many of my 20+ years in industry, as well as a Lab Supervisor & Lab Manager. I had long since given up on going to medical school when I got laid off two times in three years. This started me looking into going to medical school and over 2 1/2 years later, I will start medical school.

I was an Analytical Chemist for many of my 20+ years in industry, as well as a Lab Supervisor & Lab Manager. I had long since given up on going to medical school when I got laid off two times in three years. This started me looking into going to medical school and over 2 1/2 years later, I will start medical school.

WOW!! Congratulations! I am glad those jobs started your interest again. You were an Analytical Chemist way longer than me ( I got laid off too. A lot of us were temps then and the company was spiraling downwards anyways). I worked at a couple of crappy jobs (cubicle, dead-end, and corporate America jobs in which I dread) after that then later on, I was given the opportunity to become a Laboratory Supervisor. The pay is good and all, but I don't think it will benefit me to sit around in a position I am not happy in when my true aspirations lies in medicine. These jobs too pushed me forward to applying this year. Good luck in medical school!!! :thumbup:

Also, nice livejournal! I will make sure to follow up on your experience.

Last edited:
Worked as a zookeeper while in college and right out of it as well. Decided to withdraw my enrollment from an exotic animal training school to go to nursing school a year later. After graduating, worked for a year as an RN on a cardiac telemetry floor. Now decided to pursue medicine to fulfill my dream as a lifetime student (just kidding).

Software developer, freelance IT consulting.

Indeed, good eye. Back when he was with Philly he played a game against my hometown sabres and got a little battered that night.
...I couldn't use the photo on facebook, figured I'd put it here for a chuckle.
Military intelligence in the US Army;

Also, to jackzack87: is that JR in your profile pic? damn, he looked rough when that was taken!

I am a professional Equestrian. I ride and train horses professionally as well as own and manage a farm in South Florida. (Maybe the strangest career of the folks here) I finished my BS in Biology in 1995 with all my prereqs 3.2GPA cumulative. I meant to sit for the MCAT after a short break and now I am finally getting around to it (LOL) The horses were a family business and don't get me wrong a blast to work with. People ask why I don't go to vet school instead and I answer that I like the animals, but I would rather work WITH them rather than ON them. I take interest in the medicine side when my vet comes around as my interest has always been there. This summer I am starting back on that journey to MCAT land with freshman Biology. They say that no one can take away your education, but apparently, it does expire! Weird. I am also signed up to start EMT in the fall. I am pretty excited. As I am closing in on 40 years old, it is late in the game, but I think like many have said here, I am going to be 50 in 10 years, so might as well chase my dream than just be 10 years older not having tried.

WOW!! Congratulations! I am glad those jobs started your interest again. You were an Analytical Chemist way longer than me ( I got laid off too. A lot of us were temps then and the company was spiraling downwards anyways). I worked at a couple of crappy jobs (cubicle, dead-end, and corporate America jobs in which I dread) after that then later on, I was given the opportunity to become a Laboratory Supervisor. The pay is good and all, but I don't think it will benefit me to sit around in a position I am not happy in when my true aspirations lies in medicine. These jobs too pushed me forward to applying this year. Good luck in medical school!!! :thumbup:

Also, nice livejournal! I will make sure to follow up on your experience.

Thanks. I am keeping the live journal to help, educate, and maybe inspire, other non-trads.

The med school ship had sailed and I was happy with my career as a chemist. It was more of a case of the career leaving me rather than me leaving the career. Being laid off for an extended period of time with only a couple of temporary jobs in between was the push for me to go to med school

I worked for a major EMR company for last few years. One of the primary reasons for me going into medicine is just all the immersion I had for my job. I think overall, I've shadowed and worked with 100+ clinicians in about 30 hospital systems around the nation. That really got my motivation for medicine going.

Plus, it is a little exciting to be using my own software in 2 years, and 90% of using it in residency and beyond.