what will the interviewer think? (not yet discussed problema)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was helping my friend's family move this past weekend and had an accident with a 2-ton dinning table. i now have bruises on my cheek and a nasty cut above my brow which required stitches and, honestly, makes me look like i got in a barroom brawl. unfortunately, my interview is coming up on friday. will this affect my interview? will the interviewers believe my explanation or will they use this as a reason to brand me a "psycho" with flagrant violent tendencies?

ps this is a serious post.

Members don't see this ad.

just explain what happened. nothing to worry about.

Originally posted by chips
i was helping my friend's family move this past weekend and had an accident with a 2-ton dinning table. i now have bruises on my cheek and a nasty cut above my brow which required stitches and, honestly, makes me look like i got in a barroom brawl. unfortunately, my interview is coming up on friday. will this affect my interview? will the interviewers believe my explanation or will they use this as a reason to brand me a "psycho" with flagrant violent tendencies?

ps this is a serious post.

and put neosporin or aloe vera on that wound because it helps your skin heal faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to see it in a positive light. you'll stand out in your interviewers mind, and anything that sets you apart from the crowd (unless its negative, but i really don't think this is) is good.

I hope that you heal fast and get well soon. Like was said earlier, just make sure that you explain what happened to the person(s) that are going to interview you so they do not make any false assumptions based on your appearance. I would do it before the interview "formally" begins, that way it does not become a topic of discussion during the period where your interviewer will be making his/her observations about you. If you wait until the interview is over, the interviewer will make assumptions during the entire interview and it will cloud his judgement of you as a person. I'm sure they will respect that very much and look upon you positively. I'm sure they will think that you certainly are brave to come to the interview and not delay it. Good luck!

i don't think you have much to worry about. if anything it'll make for some interesting conversation.

My suggestion is to make a joke about it first thing in the interview. Something along the line of...

"I thought we were suppose to come to the interview in a Halloween costume. I decided to come as an someone who has been beat up by the MCAT. :laugh: :laugh: Actually I had a problem this weekend...yada yada.....So, I understand you have some questions for me."

After that I don't think the interviewer will give it a second though.

haha...to be dubbed (memorably) as the interviewee with the "eggplant face." :laugh: so long as they don't try to pick apart my sutures, i guess i don't really mind not being able to use my (otherwise) good looks advantageously. :p
thanks for the much appreciated advice, though. and tweety (mum) i'll definitely try your method.

try to reschedule, they will think you got in a fight and if yo go it will be a waste of your time

same happened to me, but as the result of a real barroom brawl. No stitches though. Showed up, made up a good story and some cracks, and walked out. Accepted too. You'll be fine. --Trek