What will you change next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boilerbeast

suPURDUEper
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily resolutions, but MS1's, now that you have a semester under your belt, what are you going to do differently going into the second semester? It's crazy how much we've learned in fifteen short weeks...and evenmoreso, how much we still don't know. Whoa.

As for me, I'm going to try and be more organized! I wrote out careful, concise notes for each lecture...and then proceeded to throw them in a big pile that ultimately got thrown away during a desk-cleaning binge. So come exam time, I was kinda screwed.

also, go to fewer classes, buy fewer books, chill more, stress less...

Just curious what everyone else's discoveries were.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I need to spend more time studying. At first, I was basing my preparation level on undergraduate work. Turned out to be pretty inadequate.

liverotcod said:
I think I need to spend more time studying. At first, I was basing my preparation level on undergraduate work. Turned out to be pretty inadequate.

My goal is to not procrastinate so much on studying during the early part of each block, thus screwing myself when I have to learn all of the material in the last week of the unit. That was my resolution after each block last semester, though, and I never followed through on it. I don't have much hope for myself. Maybe it's time I just learn to embrace my procrastinating ways...

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy15430 said:
My goal is to not procrastinate so much on studying during the early part of each block, thus screwing myself when I have to learn all of the material in the last week of the unit. That was my resolution after each block last semester, though, and I never followed through on it. I don't have much hope for myself. Maybe it's time I just learn to embrace my procrastinating ways...
Hey fellow Wisconsinite :cool:
I'm with you on that. Another problem I have is that I can only focus on the course that has the *next* exam, so I study a couple weeks hard for biochem, and then a couple weeks for anatamoy, rinse and repeat.

My goal is to set aside time to study most days, and stick to that. I wasted SO much time this semester, with nothing in particular to show for it except a well-fed boyfriend and an encyclopedic knowledge of the internet.

So I want to use my time more wisely, and work towards my potential, not just toward a passing grade. Not that passing is anything to be ashamed of, but I know that in at least some of the first-semester classes I could've learned more and better if I'd put more time into it.

Also: wash my dishes before they pile up all across the counter.

as a 2nd year, my only academic goal is to read big Robbin's as much as possible.....lets hope I make it past the first month

my goal? stop bitching... start busting it out

also, to keep my house cleaner and to continue to work out

boilerbeast said:
also, go to fewer classes, buy fewer books, chill more, stress less...

these are some of the best changes to make

Fit exercise into my life, cook more, and push hard for 5-6 hours a day so I don't have to "cram" as much for the test.

Try to study smarter instead of harder, so I can spend more time relaxing and not stress out so much. I really didn't get a good study method down until the last test of the semester. I started cutting down my lecture notes to one or two sides of a sheet of computer paper and studying those summaries. It was very effective and actually cut down on my study time. My summaries are much faster to review than studying 6-8 page note taking service for each lecture, so I can go over each lecture several times before the test. So, by spending less time studying, I actually improved my grades!

- Go out less.. being away from home for the first time was fun, but pubbling/clubing 2-3 times a week makes it not so much fun and it can taxing on the wallet.

- Make some non-meds friends... add some variety to life

lorelei said:
My goal is to set aside time to study most days, and stick to that. I wasted SO much time this semester, with nothing in particular to show for it except a well-fed boyfriend and an encyclopedic knowledge of the internet. QUOTE]

:laugh:

To actually PLAN some free time. I always ended up saying to myself that I had no time to take a break and HAD TO study nonstop for the next 12 hours. Of course, the brain can't take that much, so I ended up browsing celebrity news or something worthless on the internet just to give myself a break. I would have enjoyed going to see a movie or taking a walk much more. This is easier said than done though... I always feel so guilty when doing anything besides studying.

Things did get better towards the end of term when I stopped going to class as much. I'm also going to figure out early this term which classes I need to go to and which I don't.

This semester I want to study more consistently and daily.

I also want to get to know my classmates better.

Also drop some bad habits: sleeping in class, playing on the net in class, etc.