What would you do differently to study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdr949

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would spend less time on the inane details.

This test isn't about memorization as much as it is about synthesizing concepts and understanding the underlying science.

Not to say there is nothing to memorize, quite the contrary. But if it's not on the MCAT outline, SKIP IT. Don't dwell on things you'd only find in a textbook.

What would you guys do differently? Or what have you done differently that resulted in higher scores/better studying?

Members don't see this ad.

I should have spent a lot more time on the verbal, as i suck at it. I feel the classes (and professors) u take as an undergrad make quite a difference. I knew all the physics and bio before starting to study for the mcat, so it was pretty easy. I also felt the test was more about applying knowledge (some memorized, some given). I didn't look at the outline, just used tbr for physics, kaplan for bio and ochem, and ek for vr.
I'm pretty happy with my score, but would have preferred a more even distribution.

Yeah, verbal is an area I wish I spent more time on as well.

Unfortunately it's also one area which is least improvable, at least in my experience. Either you have read outside of your cirriculum or you have not. Can't make up for that, sadly.

Members don't see this ad :)