What would you do? Drop or don't drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vin5cent0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going into the remaining few weeks of class, and it's looking like I'm going to get a C in o-chem. I thought I was doing well since I was getting mostly A's on lab quizzes and in-class quizzes, and then I found out quizzes were 10% of our grade. Needless to say, my tests haven't been so hot.

I decided to try out a new study approach and quit going to lectures altogether. For my Genetics class, it worked amazingly. I got a 84% on the first test, 78% on the second, then stopped going to class and got a 104%. Same story with Cell bio, last two test grades rose dramatically after stopping.

Ochem, however, completely diff story. I have a test coming up and I really don't understand the material. I get the overall picture, but then all these side things keep popping up and ruining it for me.

That being said, this is what I'm wondering. I've noticed a good amount of people get a C in I, and then somehow get an A in II. This is really confusing me as it would seem that you need a solid foundation in I to thrive in II. I don't really seem to understand I very well, so should I drop it, retake it next semester and then take II? Or, should I take the C, take II next semester, and then repeat I next year?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your current GPA?

Will you get a W if you drop?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a C now, can you study your butt off for the final and get a B/B- overall?

It would actually be my 3rd C. However, one C was in art where my teacher gave me an A, then subtracted two letter grades for skipping two labs. My other one was in pre-calc, but I retook it at a more difficult college and got an A in it. Would be a W on the transcript. And no, sadly, I don't think a B is possible :(

Depending on your GPA and Science Gpa you may want to drop and retake. A "W" and an "A" to replace is an easy explaination I think.

So I'm going into the remaining few weeks of class, and it's looking like I'm going to get a C in o-chem. I thought I was doing well since I was getting mostly A's on lab quizzes and in-class quizzes, and then I found out quizzes were 10% of our grade. Needless to say, my tests haven't been so hot.

I decided to try out a new study approach and quit going to lectures altogether. For my Genetics class, it worked amazingly. I got a 84% on the first test, 78% on the second, then stopped going to class and got a 104%. Same story with Cell bio, last two test grades rose dramatically after stopping.

Ochem, however, completely diff story. I have a test coming up and I really don't understand the material. I get the overall picture, but then all these side things keep popping up and ruining it for me.

That being said, this is what I'm wondering. I've noticed a good amount of people get a C in I, and then somehow get an A in II. This is really confusing me as it would seem that you need a solid foundation in I to thrive in II. I don't really seem to understand I very well, so should I drop it, retake it next semester and then take II? Or, should I take the C, take II next semester, and then repeat I next year?

I'd ace the final and bring my grade up as high as possible...

I agree that it's not over and you should try to bring it up.

I was in the same situation and feared getting a C, but aced the final and ended up with a B. I finally just found the right method of studying (in the last 2 weeks before the final) and put all my time into that.

Are you utilizing all your resources? Tutoring/T.A.s/office hours of the professor? If not, too early to say it's not possible.

I would stick with it... Unless you are getting a grade lower than a C, otherwise keep it. My school graded on a bell curve, and it sometimes helps the student situation... who knows you may make the b- mark.

I don't think acing te final is going to happen. I just had a test a few minutes ago and bombed it. The past week, I've done nothing but practice problem upon practice problem (it was mainly on Sn1/sn2/e1/e2/alochol/ether reactions). Test comes, the problems are vastly different from the bookS that I'm using and I wind up freezing/not knowing what to do.

O-chem just doesn't make sense to me. I read the book and think everythign sounds perfectly reasonable/logical. I take the test and the problems he uses don't make sense to me at all. It's very frustrating.

I don't think acing te final is going to happen. I just had a test a few minutes ago and bombed it. The past week, I've done nothing but practice problem upon practice problem (it was mainly on Sn1/sn2/e1/e2/alochol/ether reactions). Test comes, the problems are vastly different from the bookS that I'm using and I wind up freezing/not knowing what to do.

O-chem just doesn't make sense to me. I read the book and think everythign sounds perfectly reasonable/logical. I take the test and the problems he uses don't make sense to me at all. It's very frustrating.

I would drop it then with a "W" and try to take a different professor next time. Also, ask around and see who others think is easier so you can make sure to do better next time.